What To Do For Dislocated Shoulder (human)?

wannahelp

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a “situation.” I was helping my father take out the trash. Although I have my own medical issues, he is getting yp there in age and wenhad some snow, so I thought I’d help.
I have always had shoulder problems. My ahoulder would pop out now and then but itnwould go right back in. While I was taking out the trash, I fell into a hole between the curb and the street, that was onscured by snow. I tried to brace myself and fell, scraping my hand and dislocating my roght ahoulder. I managed to getnit back in but the pain now is quite intense.
I have never dislocated it so badly. I can’t go to the hospital because I love under very strange conditions, that I’m in too much pain to describe. However, if ly mother knew what had happened, she would freak out. I am, unfortuantely, an adult living with an extremely overbearing mother and I would never be allowed to leave the house again, if she found out. I have no privacy and cannot make a move without explaining myself.
So, what, if anything, can i do on my own? It is, I am fairly sure, back in place but very painful.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry you're in that situation, that really sucks :(.

Honestly, if it's back in, the only thing to do is take some painkillers. I'm not really sure if Advil will be enough, but if you can't get to the doctor I guess that's all you can do.

Any way you could sneak off to the walk-in clinic when you're supposed to be somewhere else? Can you contact the local domestic abuse shelter, see if there are any resources you can use to leave? You'll need to get out of there sooner or later and they may have some suggestions.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, from a friend of mine who knows, you do want to get that looked at, you might have gotten a tendon or muscle trapped underneath when it reseated itself. I'm so sorry, good luck!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wannahelp

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’m dreading it but it’s not getting any better. So, I guess I’ll have to go.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
yes you don't want to put it off-if it's left untreated you could get what's called frozen shoulder-where adhesions build up in the joint impeding movement-making surgery more urgent and a longer recovery-please get it looked at before it gets to that point.
Also start networking with other folks your age to plan a way to leave. You may have to start all over again in another state but there's plenty of folks like myself who walked away from everything and started fresh. I found comfort in total strangers. There's plenty of people who will help you-you need to speak up and ask. It can be done. HUGS.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a bossy overbearing mom too, but she would be telling me to go to the doctor. Are you sure that she would object to you going to the doctor? You could go to a low cost clinic.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Best of luck!! Sending all sorts of good, healing thoughts your way, let us know how things go.

wannahelp

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had to tell my mother what happened. She has no objection to me going to a doctor but she did begin to react the way I thought.
I have a lot of medical issues and her neuroticism about those problems, is partly to blame for her overbearing behavior.
Given that I do have these medical issues, I am very apprehensive about going, now that the prospect has become real and imminent I know that relocating joints requires anasthesia and even getting needles for someone like me, anxious, with a low pain tolerance, and prone to fainting, is a nightmare. At this point, I woukd rather just live with the use of one arm.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, it can cause other problems, not to make you feel any better, i know, but this isn't something to be put off indefinitely.
If the pain gets worse at any point, get it taken care of.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I have shoulder issues, so I am coming from a different stand point that others..

I swear I did dislocate my shoulder when I broke my arm. I feel I pushed it back in place; however, it created so many other issues, which I finally had to face with surgery.. You do not want to go that route.. please..

You need to see a doctor. You really need to.. If not, then as foxxycat foxxycat has stated, you run the risk of having a frozen shoulder. Or even more damage done to the other parts of your shoulder: cartilage, ligaments, muscles, bursa sac: rotator cuff.

There is no way around this.

I do not know what your issues are, nor do I know what your mom's issues are, but they do not sound good. It sounds as if your mom is feeding your own issues. You cannot allow her to do so. You need to trust.. you need to be strong.. I know you can do it..

For the sake of your health, you do need to see a doctor.. or even the ER.. yes, you need immediate medical care...

If you explain your fears, upfront, then they can understand and help alleviate them..

You do have to trust doctors, to help you.. not to make things worse.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, if they put you under, at least you won't feel or see anything. See if you can find a low cost clinic, that way your mom won't have any say in it. I'm all for letting most things heal naturally, I haven't been to the doctor in 20 years. But I've never dislocated anything and when you jammed it back in, maybe it didn't go back in correctly.

wannahelp

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
All of the urgent care facilities referred me to the ER. I finaly went last night. According to x rays, 5 hours later, it’s not dislocated and there was no visible injury. It definitely did dislocate when i fell but I guess it did go back in then and sunsequently, when I felt it slip out again. I don’t understand it because I’m in a LOT of pain. I can’t move my arm without feeling intense pain and feeling faint. Now, I have to see an orthopedic doctor.
Thanks to all for the suggestions and encouragement. I hope I get some answers and relief soon.