what to do after trapping a stray

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it is going well considering everything she has been through. I would keep the dog cage as her safe spot where she can retreat if you let her out in the room. Did they make an appointment for her spay? I also find it odd dvm can not tell if she is nursing etc.

Climbing walls could be a sign of her dvm stress, usually ime, mostly more “feral” cats do that so she may take longer to adjust. I took a cat to dvm years ago who was an outdoor. He went beserk and climbed the walls, somehow they managed to contain him with a blanket. I can’t remember now if they actually did anything medical after that, lol. It was quite a sight to see 😀 I couldn't believe it because he seemed pretty calm prior.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starrynight123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I left her alone all night and this is what I found in the morning. Unfortunately, she pooped on that bed (she knocked over the water and the litter box got wet and then she pooped on the bed) so that bed is gone. I did put another bed but since she's been free from the crate, she isn't going back in. Now, she has a regular litter box.
She was "meowing" really loud so I gave her food and right after she ate, she kept meowing so we gave her more food. She ventured around the room and was curious about the people so it looked like she was opening up. But then went back to hiding and will continue to hide.
I put a camera in there and now she is on the cat tree and she is "meowing" really loud. My mom thinks she is "meowing" for her kittens. We went to our back of our neighbor's house but no one was home so we were not able to access the yard. Thank you for the support. I am still feeling terrible and her meowing is making me so sad.

Attachments

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just came across this thread now, and read through it. Congrats on trapping her. She's beautiful, and looked so content in that picture of her in the cat bed. But from your last post/pic it's clear she had a rough night.

Definitely remove that destroyed blind. Thankfully she didn't get tangled up in it and hurt herself.

It's going to take some time for her to relax, so hiding is ok. And she's eating, so that's really good.

About not using the litter box, there's a couple things you can try.

1) Cat Attract litter
Dr. Elsey’s Cat Attract® Cat Litter - the litter cats love™

2) put some unfertilized potting soil on top of the litter in the litter box, or even some leaves/twigs from outside. She's probably never used a litter box before, so needs something to let her know that's what she should use. You might also want to try putting 2 litters boxes in with her, as some cats prefer to pee in one and poop in another.

Thanks for bringing her inside. Fingers crossed she'll calm down soon. :petcat::hearthrob:

starrynight123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I removed the blinds. Should have done it last night but it didn't occur to me.
We did make some progress. She ate out of my mom's hand and even licked it but still very wary of hand movements so we still haven't tried petting her.
Currently, she keeps crying when no one is in the room with her. Why isn't she sleeping? My orange cat has been passed out for hours. Lol

Attachments

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
If it is any consolation, I once lost an entire room full of Venetian-type blinds when a house alarm malfunctioned.

The last pic looks a lot better, as if she is appraising that nice room that you gave her. If she is suddenly eating out of your mom's hand and licked it, she is coming around. She stops crying when she has company? Also a good sign. This could all start to iron itself out over the next few days or so. The kittens are still a big question, if they even exist. Keep listening for any sound. At night, if this makes sense with the logistics of your property, go outside and shine a flashlight to see if you get any reflection from eyes.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
:yeah:
We went to our back of our neighbor's house but no one was home so we were not able to access the yard.
Keep going back there to try to find someone home. Also, you might ask some other neighbors about them and see if someone is watching over the house.

But I thought you said the house was unoccupied where you thought any kittens might be? Anyone of the neighbors watching over the house until the new owners arrive? What if you place a note on the front door asking to have access to the yard to look for kittens?

starrynight123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My mom was able to pet her while feeding churu. But she didn't enjoy it. Yesterday, when someone would go into the room, she would hide. Today, she doesn't hide but hisses every time we go in and after hissing, makes a high pitch almost singing sound. Does anyone know why she does that? After we sit, she comes close to us and lays down or walks around. When she is by herself, she is doesn't move much.

She is "meowing" a lot and not sleeping much. Is it because she is anxious? I feel bad that she is stuck in one room. Must be bored and suffocating. My mom is staying with her for the night. She did a food puzzle so I know she's tired but I haven't seen her pass out. She sleeps little here and there.

About the "kittens", before I trapped her, I asked whether anyone knows if this cat has had kittens but no one knows her. The house behind me is unoccupied but there are some renovations here and there. Will keep trying. Thank you everyone

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Doesn't sound like much to be terribly concerned about, actually. I really think you are over analyzing and over-reacting to her. I think you have been given some articles in previous posts in your thread - now is the time to take a look at them.

Give her some time and take a few calming breaths yourself. Nice to have your mom to help out.

starrynight123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I was worried as she didn't pee all day and was wondering if she was meowing because of that. I'm not used to a meowing cat. My cat makes a sound here and there but not like this cat who is constantly meowing and making sounds. She finally peed a huge amount last night in the litter box so I'm relieved and I'm sure she is too. Lol
Now that I am able to get closer to her, I was able to take a picture of her nipples. Do you think she is nursing?

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Now that I am able to get closer to her, I was able to take a picture of her nipples. Do you think she is nursing?
Maybe at one time in the recent past, they don't look engorged which is what I would have expected to see. But you need to wait until one of the members who have consistently been around lactating cats can take a look.

Some cats who have been trapped and taken inside can get very vocal, in protest. Good that she peed - hopefully you will see that occur more often now!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
The behavior of cats like this is never in a straight line from feral to friendly. It goes back and forth as she weighs things in her mind and figures out what happened and why her life is much better now. You are definitely making progress.

starrynight123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for all the info! She has not be spayed. Still in the process of finding someone to do the procedure. Our regular vet is booked until Sept so we need to find another vet.

Everything is so much better today. Much less "meowing" and she is sleeping more. Some of the sounds she makes are cheerful sounds so she's not completely unhappy. She seems to like my mom and keeps rubbing her so she's making great stride!

Attachments

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for all the info! She has not be spayed. Still in the process of finding someone to do the procedure. Our regular vet is booked until Sept so we need to find another vet.

Everything is so much better today. Much less "meowing" and she is sleeping more. Some of the sounds she makes are cheerful sounds so she's not completely unhappy. She seems to like my mom and keeps rubbing her so she's making great stride!
That is great! she is a sweetie and so beautiful, my Sybil was a calico too 😁

starrynight123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here is a little update. We named her Rylie and she's doing well. The meowing has stopped completely. She isn't up to playing yet but is eating well and using the litter box.

One big update is that my cat entered her room this morning (we are planning to keep her secluded for 2 weeks) as my mom didn't completely close the door. He didn't walk up to her as Rylie was startled and she made a sound like she was telling him to back off but wasn't fearful or aggressive about it. Apparently, my cat was nonchalant and just sat there. They already "know" each other as he always looked out the window when she was hanging out in the driveway and she would stare at him too.

My neutered cat was raised by us since he was a baby (5-6 weeks) and he has never met another cat in our care and he is a few months older than Rylie. From our point of view, he has a very nice temperament - he is quiet, sleeps all day and does his own thing at night, loves to sleep on his back, picky eater, eats whenever he feels like it, scared of my dog but still will antagonize her when people are around to "have his back", tolerant of family smothering him, etc. Rylie is also not a fighter, more of a runner. She is vocal and eats like a dog (eats very quickly and eats everything we give her) and is skittish of people. Is food aggression a thing in cats? I am worried that she will be eating all of his food and he won't be able to eat at his leisure. I also hope she will have sense and not approach my dog when she is eating.

Do you think they are a good match? I already gave them each other's blankets and there was no reaction to each other's smells.

What's the next step? Unfortunately, I do not have a lattice piece and even if I did, I can't install it in place of our door. My cat has been putting his arms underneath the door. Are they ready to meet each other? Here is the pic of the culprit. Lol

Attachments

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here is a little update. We named her Rylie and she's doing well. The meowing has stopped completely. She isn't up to playing yet but is eating well and using the litter box.

One big update is that my cat entered her room this morning (we are planning to keep her secluded for 2 weeks) as my mom didn't completely close the door. He didn't walk up to her as Rylie was startled and she made a sound like she was telling him to back off but wasn't fearful or aggressive about it. Apparently, my cat was nonchalant and just sat there. They already "know" each other as he always looked out the window when she was hanging out in the driveway and she would stare at him too.

My neutered cat was raised by us since he was a baby (5-6 weeks) and he has never met another cat in our care and he is a few months older than Rylie. From our point of view, he has a very nice temperament - he is quiet, sleeps all day and does his own thing at night, loves to sleep on his back, picky eater, eats whenever he feels like it, scared of my dog but still will antagonize her when people are around to "have his back", tolerant of family smothering him, etc. Rylie is also not a fighter, more of a runner. She is vocal and eats like a dog (eats very quickly and eats everything we give her) and is skittish of people. Is food aggression a thing in cats? I am worried that she will be eating all of his food and he won't be able to eat at his leisure. I also hope she will have sense and not approach my dog when she is eating.

Do you think they are a good match? I already gave them each other's blankets and there was no reaction to each other's smells.

What's the next step? Unfortunately, I do not have a lattice piece and even if I did, I can't install it in place of our door. My cat has been putting his arms underneath the door. Are they ready to meet each other? Here is the pic of the culprit. Lol
I love your guy kitty, he is a beauty, floofy cat 😻 I think they will match well together as a calico and a bicolor red 😁

It seems they are ok so far but take it slow, let her have some more time prolly and only small visits at first that you monitor where he visits her territory would be first.

Also you need to be careful about any possible illness so I would wait the full two weeks first and get her tested if they didn't do that already and your dvm, I think you said they did already.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's really impossible to know if they are a good match, but being close to the same age will help. Don't rush their meeting, as it's better to go slow, than have to start all over again.

Here's a TCS article on How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles

About food aggression, Riley (love the name, btw) is probably having some stray cat food obsession, which happens when a cat doesn't have a constant source of food. Once she gets used to living with you, and being fed regularly, her food obsession should lessen.

starrynight123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for all the support! Here is an update. We have found a vet for Rylie and he told me that she's actually younger than we thought. She is 10 months and will be spayed next week. He gave us lots of pamphlets about kittens so we will be reading up on that.

We found a screen door in our attic and we have using it to introduce our cats and accidentally introduced our dog. The dog introduction didn't go well but that was expected. What was unexpected was how my orange/cream cat is reacting to Rylie. His body posture is stiff and his eyes are dilated. He is laying down and is up close to the screen. Rylie is shy but playful and even laying down and blinking at him but won't get too close to the screen. She did hiss at him a few times as he would jump on the screen and he got scared and ran away. We tried to use food to motivate them but when food's around, Rylie is only into the food and my other cat is not food motivated at all. Any advice? Also, we finally found a neighbor who knows Rylie. She told me that Rylie and my orange/cream cat have the same mother and she is also raising 3 litter mates of my orange/cream cat.