What those ingredients really mean

badhabit

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's some helpful information on what the ingredients in pet food mean.... er.. what they're SUPPOSED to mean.

Beef: The clean flesh derived from slaughtered cattle, and is limited to that part of the striate muscle which is skeletal or that which is found in the tongue, in the diaphragm, in the heart, or in the esophagus; with or without the accompanying and overlying fat and the portions of the skin, sinew, nerve and blood vessels which normally accompany the flesh.

Chicken: The clean combination of flesh and skin with or without accompanying bone, derived from the parts or whole carcasses of chicken or a combination thereof, exclusive of feathers, heads, feet and entrails.

Chicken by-product meal: Consists of the ground, rendered, clean parts of the carcass of slaughtered chicken, such as necks, feet, undeveloped eggs and intestines, exclusive of feathers, except in such amounts as might occur unavoidable in good processing practice.

Chicken liver meal: Chicken livers which have been ground or otherwise reduced in particle size.

Chicken meal: Chicken which has been ground or otherwise reduced in particle size.

Fish meal: The clean, dried, ground tissue of undecomposed whole fish or fish cuttings, either or both, with or without the extraction of part of the oil.

Lamb bone meal: Dried and ground product sterilized by cooking undecomposed bones with steam under pressure. Grease, gelatin and meat fiber may or may not be removed.

Lamb meal: The rendered product from lamb tissues, exclusive of blood, hair, hoof, horn, hide trimmings, manure, stomach and rumen contents except in such amounts as may occur unavoidably in good processing practices.

Liver: The hepatic gland (of whatever species is listed).

Meat and bone meal: The rendered product from mammal tissues, including bone, exclusive of blood, hair, hoof, horn, hide trimmings, manure, stomach and rumen contents, except in such amounts as may occur unavoidably in good processing practices.

Meat by-products: The non-rendered, clean parts, other than meat, derived from slaughtered mammals. It includes, but is not limited to, lungs, spleen, kidneys, brain, livers, blood, bone, partially defatted low-temperature fatty tissue and stomachs and intestines freed of their contents. It does not include hair, horns, teeth and hooves.

Meat meal: The rendered product from mammal tissues, exclusive of blood, hair, hoof, horn, hide trimmings, manure, stomach and rumen contents except in such amounts as may occur unavoidably in good processing practices.

Poultry by-product meal: Consists of the ground, rendered, clean parts of the carcass of slaughtered poultry, such as necks, feet, undeveloped eggs, intestines, exclusive of feathers, except in such amounts as might occur unavoidably in good processing practices.

Turkey meal: the ground clean combination of flesh and skin with or without accompanying bone, derived from the parts or whole carcasses of turkey or a combination thereof, exclusive of feathers, heads, feet and entrails.

Mmmmm good eatin huh?:paranoid2

angelzoo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOLOL. Ahhh yes. Those were the ingredients I first started to study, besides bht, and other cancerous preservaties.

To my knowledge, I now have the most complete (yet still imcomplete) list of ingredient definitions and uses.
Its taking me a long time to do this but I'm sure it will be worth it! Its weird to read all these off the wall ingredients that sound like something from science class and actually know what they mean.

Knowledge is yummie.
Thanks for posting those for the rest!!

angelzoo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmm flint river ranch claims they use high quality ingredients only. I'm not sure if that's true I've never really looked into it, but I've gotten a sample bag from them with a listing of ingredients from what I remember it was the 'best' types of ingredients, aka, not enough meat products, and to much corn or something like that.

alicat613

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah, that article isn't by them though, they just post it on their site and tell you their food isn't like that.