What temperature is your thermostat set?

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have ours set to 60F when we are here, 55F at night and when we're normally out. The kitties have lots of snuggly places to sleep off the floor and we do get a lot of sunlight during the day.

Sometimes, when I am here working from home or alone on a weekend, I will turn it up to 62F
Don't tell DH...he is a believer in the school of "put on another sweater".

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I keep mine set at 75 year round, gotta keep the bird and spider comfy.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
DH bumps ours up to 74 and I knock it down to 72. Any lower and he gets really annoyed. In the summer, we rarely run the air conditioning unless it gets above 85 and very humid. We both like to be warm.

bush7105

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Air is set to 75 if it gets chilly the heat is set to 74 the kids rooms get really hot really quick.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have electric heat but use the woodstove for the majority of our heat.
We also have a "quad" level house. The basement is unheated. The family room has the woodstove and along with the kitchen and living room which are on the next level we have programable thermostats set at 62-63F. The bedrooms do not have the heat turned on at all and in the morning we turn the bathroom heat on while we are showering.
The woodstove temp varies alot depending on how much we fire up. Righ tnow its its cool in there 64F but will warm up to about 68-69F. When its warmer outside it can heat up to 74F which is really warm-I have to run around in a tshirt!!

We do not have air conditioning for the summer months just fans and windows!!

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure what it is upstairs, but here in the basement we only have a kerosene heater. The current temperature in our bedroom is 68. Before we got the heater, it usually ran about 50-55 degrees in here.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by butzie

Before I say what our thermostat is set, I have to tell you I am cold. Our daughter came home from college in upstate NY for Christmas break and she was cold and we live in CA. So, are we wusses or is my husband setting the thermostat too low? Cannot have a wood burning stove.
I have it set at 72 right now. When DW comes home tonight, she will crank it up to 78.
AND start the fireplace.

saraharizona

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sterling, Virginia (Far Western D.C. suburbs)
We keep it at about 68 both day and night. The problem is we have a lot of windows, especially downstairs, so it's cold downstairs but a furnace upstairs if we turn it up. If we ever buy a new house, we're getting separate thermostats for up and downstairs!

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We keep it at 65 and lower at night and when we are gone. I feel bad for the kitties sometimes, but then I remember how many cats live out side just fine and ours are pampered! It's definitely cold in our house though. It has no insulation (100+ year old house) and we are renting it, so we aren't about to insulate it ourselves, I plan to be out of there this summer

faith's_mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by butzie

Okay, so if it is 65 F during the day and 57 at night I might be cold, so i should tell hubby to turn up the heat! Thanks, everyone.
57 and night???? Your poor birdies!!!! Tell him you need to keep it up for them atleast!!!

kaylacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I usually have it set around 68-69...but its been soooooo cold lately we have been keeping it around 72-74.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SarahArizona

We keep it at about 68 both day and night. The problem is we have a lot of windows, especially downstairs, so it's cold downstairs but a furnace upstairs if we turn it up. If we ever buy a new house, we're getting separate thermostats for up and downstairs!
I would definitely get separate systems downstairs and upstairs if we buy another house. Told DH that if he wanted it so cold at night that he might as well sleep in the cold 4th bedroom downstairs. Come to think of it, without me it would be doubly cold down there.

kittieshasme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I set mine for 68 degrees F during the day and turn it down to 66 degrees F at night. A couple of hours before I go to bed I turn it up to 70 degrees F. I probably play with the thermostat too much!

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I try to keep it at 68F in the winter (when I'm home and awake). I sometimes jack it up to 72 to take off the chill. I'm always cold due to severe anemia, and my body temp is normally 97.3F, instead of 98.6F. I'd love to have it higher, but can't afford to very often. At night, I turn it down to 60F-66F.

I usually use the fireplace at night, when I'm awake, as I'm usually alone with the cats in one room. They LOVE it. Jasmine usually "complains" to me to get it going, around 7:30 PM. A subtle hint! (Pacing back and forth in front the of the fireplace, doing her hoarse, "I have a need you must address NOW" meow.) Sometimes, I light it, just to shut her up!

A kerosene heater really works well. When the heater died last winter, it was a life-saver. We bought a 23,000 BTU one, and put it in the kitchen; I swear it even helped heat the upstairs, too. And the kitties loved it as well--when they heard me rattling the thingy to fire it up, they all would run into the kitchen, and cluster around the heater! The poor things must've been freezing. Downside: we have white cabinets and appliances--it puts out lot of soot.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

It's like -45 degrees Celcius here which is like -49 Farenheit. I have my heat turned off, but my apartment is registering 75 degrees and I'm sweating buckets! I have my fan on. Everyone below turns their heat on and it rises up to my apartment and roasts me out, and there isn't a thing I can do about except open my windows, which I usually do, but the wind's direction is such that it is coming right through the window and then it's too cold!
same here, I only turn mine on now when it is really really cold and there isn't enough warmth from the neighbours

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's usually pretty chilly in our house, summer and winter. We bundle up at home. We're right on the shore of the Pacific and there's always a cold wind blowing. We turn the furnace on now and then throughout the day 9 months out of the year, but we turn it off and don't keep it on the thermostat. We rarely turn it on at night.

I've wanted to turn the heater on many times during the summers here, but being from Texas, I just can't as a matter of principle.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by faith's_mom

57 and night???? Your poor birdies!!!! Tell him you need to keep it up for them atleast!!!
I wouldn't worry about those temps with budgies, or 'tiels as long as they aren't in a draft.
The great flocks of escaped budgies and 'tiels survive just fine in some of the colder climates here in the states.

And I do not believe there is a huge difference in climate between the US and Australia, inland desert notwithstanding.