What temp kills minerals?

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What heat kills essential vitamins and minerals like taurine? Doing a video and want to know for sure from someone other than doctor google.

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ Heat from cooking does not destroy minerals & protein but many do end up in the water. Steaming is said to be the best method. B vitamins can be destroyed by prolonged heat - but most will stay stable during normal cooking. 🍜😘

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Taurine begins to thermally decompose at 300º C. (That's 572º F.)

But...Let's consider things the practical way.

We know that 100º C is boiling.
If you cook your food to 100º C it will be "boiling hot" and it will be too hot to eat without burning yourself.

If you cook meat, it is considered to be done at some temperature between 130º F and 170º F. (55º C to 75º C)
Internal temperature is to be taken with a meat thermometer.

If you cook food in a 300º F oven you don't actually cook it to 300º. You only, actually cook it to 130º to 170º
If you cook food to 300º you will either burn it or it will be too hot to eat.

So... Logic says that it will be virtually impossible to cook food hot enough to destroy taurine without also destroying the food.

Most of the other nutritional content if your food is likely to behave in a similar manner.
You probably can't cook it hot enough (internal temperature) to thermally decompose most of the nutrients in your food.

EDIT: I do agree that cooking food by boiling it in water may wash out some of the nutritional content of some foods.

I'm sorry to sound blunt but most of the things people say about cooking being bad for the nutritional content of food is pure bunk.

Humans have been eating cooked food for tens of thousands of years. If cooking food is bad then humans would not have evolved to eat cooked food.

If humans weren't meant to eat cooked food we would have evolved to have sharp teeth like lions.
If we only ate uncooked plant matter we would have to have a rumen (a secondary stomach like cows have) in order to digest our food.

Since we don't have sharp teeth and rumens, eating cooked food must be okay or else we, humans, wouldn't have evolved to be what we are today.

I think that it is proper to say that food shouldn't be overcooked. Taste and texture are important.
Yes, there are some foods that are best eaten uncooked or cooked sparingly.

It just doesn't make sense to say that cooking is bad for food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise

If you cook your food to 100º C it will be "boiling hot" and it will be too hot to eat without burning yourself.

If you cook meat, it is considered to be done at some temperature between 130º F and 170º F. (55º C to 75º C)

If you cook food in a 300º F oven you don't actually cook it to 300º. You only, actually cook it to 130º to 170º

So... Logic says that it will be virtually impossible to cook food hot enough to destroy taurine without also destroying the food.

Most of the other nutritional content if your food is likely to behave in a similar manner.
You probably can't cook it hot enough (internal temperature) to thermally decompose most of the nutrients in your food.

EDIT: I do agree that cooking food by boiling it in water may wash out some of the nutritional content of some foods.

I'm sorry to sound blunt but most of the things people say about cooking being bad for the nutritional content of food is pure bunk.

Humans have been eating cooked food for tens of thousands of years. If cooking food is bad then humans would not have evolved to eat cooked food.

If humans weren't meant to eat cooked food we would have evolved to have sharp teeth like lions.
If we only ate uncooked plant matter we would have to have a rumen (a secondary stomach like cows have) in order to digest our food.

Since we don't have sharp teeth and rumens, eating cooked food must be okay or else we, humans, wouldn't have evolved to be what we are today.

I think that it is proper to say that food shouldn't be overcooked. Taste and texture are important.

OKay, thank you! Yeah; I boil her chicken thighs; let cool; then add the broth to her thawed batches. I use a premix so what's lost in the chicken isn't too important. Reason I was asking is because I'm doing a u-stew video and filling the desc with reasons to home make your cats food (raw & home cooked)and a ton of info about it so I included that you shouldn't warm the portions to thaw but then wondered if that just me being paranoid...I agree with you!

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise

Who says cooking is bad for food?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Logic says that it will be virtually impossible to cook food hot enough to destroy taurine without also destroying the food.
I wouldn't take any chances on taurine. It's cheap to add and the consequences of having too little are severe.

Minerals don't degrade or get "killed" but some vitamins and amino acids are heat-sensitive.