What should you be doing instead of being on TCS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Probably a lot of stuff today.
We got word this morning that we were 100% approved and cleared for a cremation/burial plot.
We'd been after this for awhile. It wasn't a completely done deal and it didn't seem real.
I like this plot. Its near my family and for whatever reason that makes me happy. We'd visited this plot before and had requested it. It was 99% done but not totally. The cemetery had to approve..and they did.
Now I feel weird. In theory, this was a great idea. And probably IS a good idea as we do not want funerals, etc. and wanted things taken care of in case of our accidental or untimely deaths. When you become an old fart like me, these things matter I guess. I don't want to burden anyone and I don't want my ashes in a dumpster so this seems OK...
But again..now I feel weird.
Viewing a plot I was 99% sure I'd be in was "good" and kind of reassuring but now that it's a done deal I feel weirded out.
I also feel totally guilty for burying past pets because if they were cremated, our ashes could be mixed or buried together or, or, or...
Someone suggested we buy a large urn and collect dirt from their burial site and request to be buried with it. But I don't know anymore.
Headstone is picked out and ordered. We don't know if we'll ask for burial or cremation and burial of ashes....but the headstone has real life photos...dogs and cats on it.

......Wipe that surprised look off your face. =)
I dunno. Kind of feeling weirdly mortal right now =/

I

Last edited:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
1 bruce 1 1 bruce 1

No, not crazed at all.. just planning..

I felt weird, earlier this year because I had a Will, Health Care Proxy, and Power of Attorney forms, drawn up..

Now, This may be shocking to some:
I plan to be cremated, but do not really care what happens to my ashes. I keep saying, I love the beach, just spread them on the sand, or in the water... I will be dead, so it does not matter to me..

I really cannot see any of my family visiting a grave site, so why buy one?
But I do want a funeral mass said... that is it.. nothing more.. simple.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
We got word this morning that we were 100% approved and cleared for a cremation/burial plot.
We'd been after this for awhile. It wasn't a completely done deal and it didn't seem real.
I like this plot. Its near my family and for whatever reason that makes me happy. We'd visited this plot before and had requested it. It was 99% done but not totally. The cemetery had to approve..and they did.
Now I feel weird. In theory, this was a great idea. And probably IS a good idea as we do not want funerals, etc. and wanted things taken care of in case of our accidental or untimely deaths. When you become an old fart like me, these things matter I guess. I don't want to burden anyone and I don't want my ashes in a dumpster so this seems OK...
Viewing a plot I was 99% sure I'd be in was "good" and kind of reassuring but now that it's a done deal I feel weirded out.
I also feel totally guilty for burying past pets because if they were cremated, our ashes could be mixed or buried together or, or, or...
Someone suggested we buy a large urn and collect dirt from their burial site and request to be buried with it. But I don't know anymore.
Headstone is picked out and ordered. We don't know if we'll ask for burial or cremation and burial of ashes....but the headstone has real life photos...dogs and cats on it.

I
:grouphug2: :heartshape::touched:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yep. Ignoring mortality won't stop it...it just makes the aftermath harder on those left behind. Cremation for me. I want my ashes scattered from a mountain top, although I've ordered a pretty and inexpensive little urn from (would you believe it) Costco. You really can get everthing there! They have caskets, too!

But what should I be doing? Um...I really OUGHT to be getting ready for our quarterly inspection on Tuesday. No, the apartment isn't that bad, but I can only clean a very little bit, then I have to sit and rest, so it takes a while to get it done. I'll do it all tomorrow and Monday, so I won't be here then.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep. Ignoring mortality won't stop it...it just makes the aftermath harder on those left behind. Cremation for me. I want my ashes scattered from a mountain top, although I've ordered a pretty and inexpensive little urn from (would you believe it) Costco. You really can get everthing there! They have caskets, too!

But what should I be doing? Um...I really OUGHT to be getting ready for our quarterly inspection on Tuesday. No, the apartment isn't that bad, but I can only clean a very little bit, then I have to sit and rest, so it takes a while to get it done. I'll do it all tomorrow and Monday, so I won't be here then.
I'm leaning towards cremation and burial of ashes.
Or completely screwing with everyone's minds 300 years into the future and paying big bucks to bury an empty casket and scattering my ashes, because if they decide to exhume me some day and find an empty coffin, holy crap that would freak everyone out. DRACULA! BRUCE WAS TOTALLY DRACULA! LOCK UP YOUR CHILDREN! OF WITH THEIR HEADS! DOUBLE YOUR MEDS!
Imagine making the front page of every paper hundreds of years after you're dead. That would signify you did something with yourself =D

On the subject of ashes, what bothers me the most of anything is my pets. I don't want my ashes in a dumpster but I worry about THEM more because they're important to me. But I guess unless I physically take them to whatever grave with me, this can't be avoided because odds of someone in a hundred years messing with their gravesite after my place is sold is good, but odds of not being buried with their ashes and having them end up who knows where is great, as well.
I know this is all earthly stuff talking and I don't believe it DOES matter, but my pea brain sometimes short circuits and I spazz out and worry over stupid stuff.
I used to be such a bad ass. When did I become such a softie? =P

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Um...probably about when cats began purring in your soul. Since you ask.

What should I be doing? Not a thing. I spent TWO DAYS cleaning and then waiting for an inspection that ended up not happening due to torrential rain. Now I'm just waiting for it to clear up for the inspection to happen. Meanwhile, you could eat off of my floors right now, and my stove is so clean I don't want to cook on or in it.

rgwanner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am planning to be cremated. Don't know what will happen to my ashes. Most of my friends are my age so they won't be visiting the grave. And I am in GA and my family is mostly in IN so they won't be visiting my grave. I just can't see spending thousands of $$ for a casket and taking up all that space. The shelter where I volunteer has a long term plan to have a "compound" that would have the cat shelter, the dog shelter, offices etc in one space. Maybe I will have my ashes scattered there. It is a major part of my life.

But the ? is what should you be doing? I am leaving Sat. to visit family for 9 days. I still have a huge to do list. Panic is setting in. So I should be doing all those things. I will not bore you with the list. I will be doing a few more things shortly.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am planning to be cremated. Don't know what will happen to my ashes. Most of my friends are my age so they won't be visiting the grave. And I am in GA and my family is mostly in IN so they won't be visiting my grave. I just can't see spending thousands of $$ for a casket and taking up all that space. The shelter where I volunteer has a long term plan to have a "compound" that would have the cat shelter, the dog shelter, offices etc in one space. Maybe I will have my ashes scattered there. It is a major part of my life.

But the ? is what should you be doing? I am leaving Sat. to visit family for 9 days. I still have a huge to do list. Panic is setting in. So I should be doing all those things. I will not bore you with the list. I will be doing a few more things shortly.
I like your plan for your ashes. Best place to be is with what was such a big part of your life!!

What I should be doing now is sizing window blinds to purchase and deciding if I feel bold/energetic enough to attempt laying a new floor in the cats own personal sun room this fall/winter when it's cold and nothing is going on and we're stuck here all the time. I have the materials to do so, minus a few tools, and it seems kind of silly to leave the new flooring sit there in boxes. And winter is kind of like living on Baffin Island around here, so it would be a good time to do it.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Not a blessed thing. I was out all last week doing many, many little things. THIS week, I belong here. Well. I might be doing laundry, but it's really too hot to make the walk to the laundry room.

rgwanner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I should be making things to sell at my two craft shows in Oct. and Nov.

Also, I am getting 2 new fosters today and I need to straighten the room where they stay.

I need to sort 3 weeks of laundry.

It is 8:00 and at 9:00 I have to get up my MIL and get her dressed and fed. Then I have to take my husband to get his drivers license renewed, hopefully. Last time they would not accept his birth cert. He has memory loss due to chemo and cannot learn how to get to new places so I have to take him. Since I only have an hour I can't start a big project.

I need to get off TCS and do something more productive

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Not a thing. This is where I belong today. Now, tomorrow is another story! Being retired, and having only Hekitty depending on me, I can order my life as I like. SO...Sundays I don't get on the computer (except to ditch the junk mail), and do all the stuff I "should" have done during the week! Sundays can get a bit frantic on occasion!

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

I
So here is what you can do. Make some castings of your hand prints, foot prints or whatever else, and save them. Then have your ashes mixed with cement and made into a nice rock with your imprints in it along with whatever cat paws you might like to include, maybe your name also so it's not an anonymous rock, and have the rock dropped in the spot where all the other pets are buried. Probably someday someone will gaze over there and see a cat sunning himself on your rock. And then your life will be complete as you continue to provide your cats pleasure.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.