What should I use to clean my cat's paws after going outside?

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My 5 year old cat is currently indoor-only, but I think she'd do well going for little "walks" outside with a leash and harness. My only concern would be due to the fact that she's FIV positive and I'd like to minimize the risk of her contracting any parasites. I've taken care of kittens that were rescued from the outdoors before, so I'm all too familiar with what can be contracted from licking paws that stepped in the wrong puddle! My thought is that I can wipe her paws off as soon as we get in the door, but I don't know whether a damp paper towel or your average pet wipe is enough to do the trick, or if there's something stronger with antiseptic properties I can use that won't harm the cat. Any thoughts? Thanks!

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You might try using Huggies, which are used for baby wipes.  There are several varieties available and probably one or more with antibacterial qualities.  I use huggies for cleaning dirty butts, but I bet they would be good for cat feet as well.  Choose one of the unscented variety and something that is not drying. I use the nes the contain aloe.