What should i feed my cat? ( i'm getting soon )

Cloverthekitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello , i don't know whether to feed a homemade or store bought diet to my cat i'm getting soon.
Which would be best ?

druvendra

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Homemade is always the best.
Acceptable commercial lines: Feline natural (canned), tiki cat after dark, Rawz.
However, you will find homemade is cheaper and leads to better health, so I recommend homemade always. You can mix a good canned alongside homemade though.
Check this out, it has all the sources you need and then some.
And here are premixes, powders you simply weigh and add to cooked or raw meat formulated to make your catfood nutritionally complete; hassle free. EZcomplete and U-stew are tried and true.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cloverthekitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Homemade is always the best.
Acceptable commercial lines: Feline natural (canned), tiki cat after dark, Rawz.
However, you will find homemade is cheaper and leads to better health, so I recommend homemade always. You can mix a good canned alongside homemade though.
Check this out, it has all the sources you need and then some.
And here are premixes, powders you simply weigh and add to cooked or raw meat formulated to make your catfood nutritionally complete; hassle free. EZcomplete and U-stew are tried and true.
Alright .
Thanks !

How much would homemade cost ? like compared to commercial ?

Cloverthekitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Like , is homemade expensive ?
What is the cost ?

druvendra

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Like , is homemade expensive ?
What is the cost ?
Price comes last place to a healthy and thriving life to a cat.
You will have to calculate that yourself depending on which protein source you choose (beef, pork, chicken) and if you're doing raw or using a premix.

Cloverthekitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Price comes last place to a healthy and thriving life to a cat.
You will have to calculate that yourself depending on which protein source you choose (beef, pork, chicken) and if you're doing raw or using a premix.
Alright .
Shouldn't they have a variety of meats ?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Homemade I have never or will. To me it is too risky unless you really know what your doing in order for the cat to get the right nutrition needed and not too much or too little. You will find helpful articlescles and posts about it. Fancy feast classics is a good starter. Cheaper on chewy

Last edited:

druvendra

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Homemade I have never or will. To me it is too risky unless you really know what your doing in order for the cat to get the right nutrition needed and not too much or too little. You will fing helpful articlescles and posts about it. Fancy feast classics is a good starter. Cheaper on chewy
FF is low quality. If you follow the established recipe, it is not risky. If you use a premix, it's even less risky.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I stick with commercial too. I fully understand and appreciate the benefits of a good homemade but I am scared I will mess up the mix and simply don't have time. If you go for commercial, wet is always a better option and less fillers is better. Cats are carnivores and don't need vegtables or fruits in their food.

Cloverthekitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Homemade I have never or will. To me it is too risky unless you really know what your doing in order for the cat to get the right nutrition needed and not too much or too little. You will fing helpful articlescles and posts about it. Fancy feast classics is a good starter. Cheaper on chewy
I don't know , i do want to do homemade to make sure they are getting good food , rather than bad.

druvendra

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay .
So a few different ones a week ?
Yeah, or every other day. There are no hard and fast rules - just make sure to slowly transition new meats to as to avoid digestive upsets - but once you have a rotation established, you won't have to re-introduce past introduced proteins, unless you don't feed one for a month or so.

Cloverthekitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, or every other day. There are no hard and fast rules - just make sure to slowly transition new meats to as to avoid digestive upsets - but once you have a rotation established, you won't have to re-introduce past introduced proteins, unless you don't feed one for a month or so.
Ah okay ,thanks !

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I use catfooddb.com as a guideline. My cars are only fed canned dr elseys online, tiki and rawz for my cat with a sensitive stomach, ff classics, sheba roasted chicken and turkey

Cloverthekitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here's my list :
Supplements.
Chicken liver.
Beef .
Pork .
Salmon.
Egg.