What should I feed my 7-8 weeks kitten?

Felixkitten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When i first adopted my kitten the veterinary told me I should mix some of cat's milk with dry food but since i ran out of the cat milk which is expensive and consumed swiftly my kitten stopped eating the dry food. Only she is able to do so when i insist or put it in his mouth. I tried mixing it with wet food and she started gulping the whole thing but we ran out of wet food again. Will my kitten persist in not eating dry food alone ?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Canned food is a better food for kittens and cats. If you can, try and obtain enough so that you have some on hand for your furbaby :)

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Do you mean, will your kitten refuse to eat dry food to the point of harming itself? Yes. Your kitten isn't fully weaned and has trouble with dry food either by preference or just in the how to eat method. Dry kibble is not a natural food for cats and isn’t super appealing to them. Plus, kittens have a very low thirst drive so your kitten will not drink enough water even if it could eat dry food right now.

Please get more wet food and more cats milk or goats milk. Continue to mix wet food with the cat or goats milk until the kitten gets the hang of chewing to eat. You can do just wet food and water it down a little, but you will need to feed more wet food if you do that because the water doesn't add calories or nutrition. You can reduce the quantity of milk to wet food in two to three weeks and switch to just wet food. Once your kitten has the hang of wet food you can start adding in dry food. Probably in a month or two. You can switch to dry only when your kitten is 5 to 6 months old, when you see the kitten drinking water regularly on its own. Kittens have very high calorie requirements for their size and should have access to food at all time until they stop growing.

BUT, wet food is better health wise for cats and you will reduce the chances of health issues if you feed wet food. I do two wet meals a day with dry food between for my guys, but if I could be home for 3-4 wet meals a day I would do that. I know wet food is more expensive, but the health bills for a UTI or kidney problems will be even more. Plus a cheap dry food can lead to obesity and other health problems because it is biologically inappropriate. It will cost a little more in food to feed wet but cats end up with better health so the cost overall balances out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Felixkitten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you lots. it's more clear now 👍👍 In the country i love in, cat milk isn't found everywhere can i use kitten milk powder as a substitute??

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you lots. it's more clear now 👍👍 In the country i love in, cat milk isn't found everywhere can i use kitten milk powder as a substitute??
Yes, kitten milk powder is an okay replacement. If you know anyone with a goat who sells milk, raw goats milk is even better.