What Should A Healthy Neuter Site Look Like?

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
:hellosmiley: wonwonon, welcome to TCS!

From your photo, it looks pretty good to me. Just a few things to observe. Make sure the surgery site is clean and dry, no foul smell or bleeding or pus. A little bleeding is ok due to the recent surgery but if it keeps on bleeding, then it's not a good sign. Also if there's pus, also no good. If such things happen, please bring your cat back to the vet ASAP.

The surgery requires two tiny slits which may look slightly open due to the glue. As long as what is mentioned above, no bleeding, no smell and no pus, it should be alright.

The swell will fade off in a couple of weeks and the testosterones will slowly leave the body system in 6-8 weeks and after that, the fur will grow back and you'll see a soft deflated pouch.

Just remember, keep the surgery site clean and dry. If your boy soil it with litter dust, just use a soft sightly damp cloth and dab the area.

If in any doubts, take a photo and send to your vet for a more precise evaluation.

Here's two article for you to read :-
spaying-and-neutering-what-to-ask-before-the-surgery.30217

why-you-should-spay-and-neuter-your-cats.22304

Feel free to ask questions and do check out the many interesting articles we have for you here in :- ams

Last edited:

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for getting him neutered! You are making a big difference for his future health, and are helping to prevent pet overpopulation.

This article is quite helpful: Spaying And Neutering - What To Look For After Surgery

From the picture, I think it looks ok, since it’s not red, extremely swollen, or with a lot of discharge, but I am by no means an expert. If you want to be sure or have any concerns, I would recommend emailing that picture to your vet to see what they think.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wonwonon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i just posted about my 5.5 month old cat’s neuter site because I am a paranoid mom but now today, I checked the incision site and I’m worried all over again because of this small lump of matter. He got neutered 6 days ago. I’m not sure if it could be discharge or fecal matter but it didn’t budge when I tried to dab it with a wet tissue.

Attachments

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I’m not sure if it could be discharge or fecal matter but it didn’t budge when I tried to dab it with a wet tissue.
Is it dry? Any smell? If it's dry and there's no foul smell, think just leave it alone. Do not attempt to clean it off. Attempting to clean it off may cause it to bleed. Let it drop off by itself.

If it's still wet and looks like oozing pus or there's a foul smell, please bring him back to the vet. Or take a photo and email your vet for a more assured answer.