What Questions To Ask When Checking Out A New Vet?

mapper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have been wanting to change vets for a while now and the horrible experience we had with them euthanizing our cat earlier this week has sealed the deal. I have been emailing several places and getting prices and I've found one that I would like to check out. I plan on stopping by there later today, but I'm just not sure what to ask about. Of course I want to see what the facilities look like, but I don't know what questions to ask them. Our current vet we chose because they were the cheapest, but we never went to check it out first, just brought our cats there. They've already quoted me their prices and told me about their vets. What should I look for or ask about?

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi! I've never personally interviewed a potential vet. I read Google reviews and used the app Nextdoor to ask my neighbors about what vets they used and why they recommended them.

You could ask questions about how they approach treatment (ie, do they offer homeopathic treatments/alternative medicine/etc.) in accordance to your own beliefs. Ask if they are affiliated with any emergency clinics in the event that you need an ER vet. Ask questions about nutrition (proponent of canned? Dry? Raw?)

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Check if they will claim directly from insurance most vets will but some expect you to pay upfront, then you claim back. My vet only will claim if the bill is over £800 that way you know what you need in the emergency fund.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ask how long each vet has been in practice. Maybe what percentage other patients, how many are feline? Do they have pets of their own? Maybe check Yelp for comments and recommendations. Maybe ask Volusia steer rescue groups if there are vets ingrains that they recommend

In the US you should keep in mind that it is more difficult to gain entrance to veterinary school than medical school.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Write down all the questions previously posted in this thread with the exception of any which do not resonate with you. Along with Yelp and Google, you could also post on Next Door and ask for recommendations. I would add to this whatever happened with the previous vet which was so upsetting if it in any way would reflect a policy of the hospital, supervision of staff, philosophy of animal care.

I have interviewed vets. When I wanted one of my dogs enrolled in an experimental treatment, my vet declined to be involved....and I am not saying that this made him a bad vet because the dog had a fatal condition. I went personally to one who seemed likely to be willing to work with me, without the dog, and spoke to the office manager. All that they are going to think is that you are a concerned animal owner.

I am sorry that you had a miserable experience at the end of your cat's journey here.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd ask if they recommend feeding dry food for oral health (myth that has been debunked);
and what is their recommended vaccination schedule (if annually, it's also outdated info);
and if they have access to the latest research about cats and follow them (the practice we use is closed for several hours once a month for them to go through the latest findings)

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The most important thing, to me, in choosing a vet is how well they explain things.

Our cat, Casper, had to go to the doctor on two occasions. Once for urinary crystals. The second time for megacolon.

On both occasions, Casper's vet explained everything to us.
What the problem is. What causes it. What the prognosis is. How to treat it. What to expect during treatment. What to do, in the long term, to help Casper get better and stay healthy.

The vet brought out Casper's X-rays and his test reports then went over them, line by line. By the time we were done, we knew exactly what was happening, what do do about it and what to expect.

On the flip side, the first vet we went to wasn't very helpful, at all.
We took him there to get his vaccinations, a check-up and to get his microchip put in.

When I started asking questions the vet seemed to be annoyed and didn't give complete answers. That is the first and last time we took Casper to that vet.

I would say, if you walk out of the office with a feeling like you know what's going on and what to do about it, you've got a good vet.

If not, I say you should look for another vet.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd ask if they recommend feeding dry food for oral health (myth that has been debunked);

A vet who recommends dry food isn't necessarily a vet to avoid. It's perfectly ok to disagree with the vet on food:agree: My vet prefers that I feed my IBD cat Hills junk food but has no issue with me feeding a raw diet since it's what works for my cat.

Ask the vet how after hours emergencies are handled. Is there an emergency vet ER you can take your cat to? If there is, ask for the address and phone number. If there isn't, what is the best way to get emergency care?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Ask how many vets are in the practice and their educational background, e.g. veterinary medical school, fellowships and/or research. Are you looking into a feline only practice? If so, this may ease your mind regarding their knowledge about cats. When you visit the prospective vet's office check for the cleanliness of the facility. I understand your financial concerns with the fees but sometimes the vet's expertise far outweighs the cheapest prices. I hope you are successful in finding a new vet who meets all of your criteria. Good luck! :goodluck:

My sincere sympathies and deepest regrets about your cat going to the Bridge earlier this week. :angel: Hopefully by looking for a new vet you will never have to go through this negative experience again.