What possible breed is Albert?

meaganandalbert

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi there!!

Just wondering if i could find out the breed of my 1 year old cat Albert. 
Description:

Grey and white coat with tufts on his paws and on his ears with very long hair coming out his ears, he has green eyes and a VERY long and bushy tail. He is longhaired and it parts down the middle of his back and hangs to the sides, his hair is longest on his neck, he almost has a lion mane and it is also long on the back of his legs (We say he is wearing bloomers) and on his belly. He is rediculously docile but terrible at climbing (That may just be him). His brother is the same but black and white and i never got to see his parents. He has a pointed face however he has a large jaw and very fluffy cheeks... I have included some photo's if anyone could give any ideas as to what he is or maybe he is not a breed? I don't know XD

carolstrio

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Beautiful pics...my best guess is a domestic long hair.  Mixed bag like most and very beautiful!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

meaganandalbert

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks!!!

Although he has a white undercoat and I read somewhere that it is called silver if it is pure white underneath?

He's all about himself lol He loves the mirror but he's my pretty little baby so I guess it's all my smothering that's made him that way LOL I call the 'Mr. Pretty Pants' because he looks like he is wearing bloomers on his fluffy legs.

View media item 163484
View media item 161455

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  I really like the looks of Albert.  He somehow manages to be both cute and beautiful.   

To me he does not look like a silver tabby in the photos. 

You are right  that in a silver tabby the undercoat is white.    but  also the guard hairs ( outer coat)  would be white at the roots   (  I mean of course not just the areas of Albert's coat that are totally white;  but the blue tabby parts. .  And this doesn't just mean that in some of the colored part of the coat,   the hairs are a little bit lighter grey near the roots     It would mean all over the coat, it's white at the roots, and even on places where the coat is shorter like the top of his head or top of his paws.     And in addition,  the agouti hairs -- the hairs that are individually banded,  that make the lighter part of of the tabby pattern --   in those hairs,  the lighter bands are white or nearly white . 

http://www1.fifeweb.org/dnld/std/GEN-SGA.pdf      Here is a link from FIFé describing some different cat colors / patterns.   look at the bottom of page 9.  There is a little illustration of different types of silver showing the hairs.  Look at the one that says Silver Tabby.    That shows what I am talking about.  The small wavy hair represents the undercoat.  the longer straight hair is the guard hair/ outer coat.   one is the darker parts of the pattern, the other hair with more bands is the lighter Agouti hair.     

Albert is a bit of a Norwegian Forest Cat lookalike. 

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You say he likes mirrors. Does he ever use the mirror to locate you or something else? Like--if he were looking into a mirror and you came up behind him to pet him, would he bring up his head to meet your hand? I've done a bit of experimenting with my cats and mirrors, and they aren't supposed to be able to recognize themselves in mirrors, but I am starting to think that cats are more capable of using mirrors than animal psychologists think.

meaganandalbert

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks Maewkaew, now that he is older (He reached the big '1' in June) He has grown a lot since these photo's were taken

he has more of a mane and an even bigger tail. I will have to post photos of him recently. His undercoat is pure white everywhere but his ears and where he is white, obviously lol. Even on his head but his hair is very slick so you don't notice till you part the hairs.

Callista- He knows it's us in the mirror. I go up behind him as he watches himself and put my head down, not were he can see and he will stand up to meet his head with mine as we do all the time. So he definitely gets that it's us in there lol.

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

For comparison here is  a blue silver tabby NFC ;   you see that white/ silver is much more noticeable.     However,  not all  silvers are so light looking as this,   there  is a difference in how much of the hair shaft is white on those hairs of the outer coat.  

Remember, being silver tabby is not just about the undercoat being white,  it's also that the outer coat hairs are all white at the roots,  and the lighter part of the tabby pattern is also very light..    It is easier to see when the base color is black. 

Actually in that last photo he does look black-based ("brown tabby"), but in most of the photos  it   looks blue ( grey) tabby. 

BTW, compare the profiles in that last photo of Albert and the photo at right.  He's even more of a NFC-lookalike than I had thought! .  

meaganandalbert

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes i see what you mean by the lighter coat all over and the profile of the NFC maybe I have a savage snow warrior on my hands ;) cat colours are so interesting. This is a recent photo. He is blue but the lightong in these couple of photos is terrible
:-

Last edited by a moderator:

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 There's no way of knowing for sure,   and since they did develop originally as a natural breed,  it is not surprising that some cats from other places , with ancestors who were in a similar harsh climate,  can turn out to have a similar look.  

But it's just fun to compare.  

I think at least he is a Viking Cat at heart!   

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Albert is a bit of a Norwegian Forest Cat lookalike.

Just found this thread after years and boy did Albert balloon at 3 years old. Here is gigantor gorgeous boy now :D he's now six years old View attachment 237398 View attachment 237398
meaganandalbert meaganandalbert - How lovely to see an old thread revived so spectacularly. maewkaew maewkaew spotted Albert as a, "Norwegian Forest Cat lookalike," and from your photos here this morning in Post 16, it's clear that he's Big Breed all the way - more than twice the size of your lovely tuxedo cat.

NFCs are famous for growth spurts like the one that Albert experienced at age three, and very often, near the end of their fifth year, it will happen again. My tiny Bob was a twenty-two pound weakling at age 4½, and in the ensuing nine months, he finally came into his own, finishing (well - almost finishing, as he still increased in size a bit after age five) at 113 cm and 16 kg. Here's the frail little thing yesterday, at circa 16.5 kg, with his pal, Peanut:

bobcrowded.jpg

Here's hoping that you'll add some photos of the handsome Albert here:

The Big Breeds (and Mixes): Post 'em Here!

meaganandalbert

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
meaganandalbert meaganandalbert - How lovely to see an old thread revived so spectacularly. maewkaew maewkaew
DSC_0542.JPG
spotted Albert as a, "Norwegian Forest Cat lookalike," and from your photos here this morning in Post 16, it's clear that he's Big Breed all the way - more than twice the size of your lovely tuxedo cat.

NFCs are famous for growth spurts like the one that Albert experienced at age three, and very often, near the end of their fifth year, it will happen again. My tiny Bob was a twenty-two pound weakling at age 4½, and in the ensuing nine months, he finally came into his own, finishing (well - almost finishing, as he still increased in size a bit after age five) at 113 cm and 16 kg. Here's the frail little thing yesterday, at circa 16.5 kg, with his pal, Peanut:

View attachment 237409

Here's hoping that you'll add some photos of the handsome Albert here:

The Big Breeds (and Mixes): Post 'em Here!
He is so beautiful!! I've just got Albert back with me after I was abroad for 4 years and I'm stuck with what weight is okay for him and what is too heavy. Right now he is 10kg with walks everyday often twice a day to burn some fat. He gets 3 wet sachets a day and a few biscuits but still seems hungry. His vet visit is in a couple of weeks so hopefully the vet can tell me his potions :)