Welcome to The Cat Site
your cat community
Interact with our community

What pets do you have

Asteria

TCS Member
Top Cat
Joined
Jun 2, 2006
Messages
1,944
Reaction score
16
Besides Molly and Polly, I have 2 dogs.

Millie is a border collie mix.


And Lucy is a chihahua.
 

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Joined
Dec 20, 2006
Messages
13,498
Reaction score
30
Originally Posted by clowangel

I've also raised plenty of rodents, fish, hermit crabs, newts, frogs, and other critters. But if I raised those now, they'd end up as cat food. ;-; Because unlike my birds, they can't fly. And unlike my turtles, they don't have a hard shell to retreat into.
That's what a spare room and cage lids+locks are for!

The birds and turtles could still be harmed if you're not protecting them. Plus the turtles have bacteria on them and in their water that can make other animals seriously ill. ... I've heard stories of birds accidentally landing in aquariums, too.
 

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Joined
May 9, 2005
Messages
9,306
Reaction score
47
Location
Needles, CA
Not to mention the pasteurella bacteria in cat saliva, it was designed by nature to help kill small prey and it is deadly.

All it takes is for your cat to lick or otherwise get saliva on your birds, your birds preen and ingest it and well...
 

clowangel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Joined
Oct 20, 2009
Messages
84
Reaction score
1
Location
NYC
Originally Posted by strange_wings

That's what a spare room and cage lids+locks are for!

The birds and turtles could still be harmed if you're not protecting them. Plus the turtles have bacteria on them and in their water that can make other animals seriously ill. ... I've heard stories of birds accidentally landing in aquariums, too.
You don't honestly think I let my cat get at my birds and turtles do you? -raises brow- Geez, that paragraph was meant to be joking and light in nature. Lighten up. Seriously. I feel like I must step around on eggshells on this site sometimes. I really should just follow my instinct and not ever post unless my cat's dying or something.

My freaking turtle tank have wire mesh tops, okay? Birds nor cats can get in there. It's also weighed down by a heavy light.

My birds are also perfectly safe. I don't let my cat and birds out in the same room. And now to never post again until I run into problems with my cat.
 

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Joined
Apr 5, 2005
Messages
22,317
Reaction score
19
Location
USA
I have:

Cats:
Velvet- black DSH I've had since I was 10/11 yrs old...sweet girl is in her golden days
Isabella- white odd-eyed Turkish Angora
Kojak- black/white DSH

Chinese Dwarf Hamster:
Paisley

Aquariums: (I have multiple tropical fish aquariums)

Dogs:
Ranger (Australian Shepherd)
Macy (We had her DNA tested: American Staffordshire Terrier, Chow Chow, Rottweiler )
(We might be adding one more soon
)
 

Asteria

TCS Member
Top Cat
Joined
Jun 2, 2006
Messages
1,944
Reaction score
16
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

I have:

Cats:
Velvet- black DSH I've had since I was 10/11 yrs old...sweet girl is in her golden days
Isabella- white odd-eyed Turkish Angora
Kojak- black/white DSH

Chinese Dwarf Hamster:
Paisley

Aquariums: (I have multiple tropical fish aquariums)

Dogs:
Ranger (Australian Shepherd)
Macy (We had her DNA tested: American Staffordshire Terrier, Chow Chow, Rottweiler )
(We might be adding one more soon
)
You have a beautiful fur family. I love Australian Shepherds.
I do have to say, though, not to put too much stock in those DNA tests. I've known people to get ridiculous, impossible results from them. One of my friends had a big (100 pounds plus), black and white ticked, short haired dog that had a build of a mastiff. Out of curiosity, his owner got him DNA tested.
The #1 dominant result? Maltese.
After Maltese were many other small, fully breeds that could possibly be in his background, but did not create a dog like him. Then of course there people who get their purebreds tested to see how valid the tests are compared to their full knowledge of their dogs' lineage. I don't even want to get into those because they get so silly.
Your dog also looks to have too much of a narrow head to only have the above mentioned breeds in her. She's a cutie!
Anyway, I hope you don't interpret this as an attack, because I do not mean it that way. I just know DNA tests (both swab and blood tests) to often be unreliable.
 

momto3boys

TCS Member
Top Cat
Joined
Mar 8, 2011
Messages
1,822
Reaction score
18
Location
New Brunswick, Canada
I have 3 dogs...
Nellie is my Yellow Lab, Lucy is my Boxer and Dixie is my Miniature Schnauzer.

My cats, Kaymen and Kasey. I'm adding my 3rd, Oliver to my clan in April.

My guinea pigs, Daisy and Blossom.

My rabbits, Snickers and Pickles.

My lizards, Moose and Monkey.

My hamster, Dribble.

And my corn snake, Skittles
 

missm

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Joined
Mar 9, 2011
Messages
243
Reaction score
26
Wow! I had thought that my family had a lot of pets, but after reading some of your lists, we really don't have that many

Anyway, here is my list:

Matti, Siamese cat mixed breed (sister to Mitsy)

Mitsy, Siamese cat mixed breed (sister to Matti)

Mourek, Siamese cat mixed breed

Amber, Golden Retriever/Labrador Retriever dog mixed breed
 

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Joined
Apr 5, 2005
Messages
22,317
Reaction score
19
Location
USA
Originally Posted by Mollysmom

You have a beautiful fur family. I love Australian Shepherds.
I do have to say, though, not to put too much stock in those DNA tests. I've known people to get ridiculous, impossible results from them. One of my friends had a big (100 pounds plus), black and white ticked, short haired dog that had a build of a mastiff. Out of curiosity, his owner got him DNA tested.
The #1 dominant result? Maltese.
After Maltese were many other small, fully breeds that could possibly be in his background, but did not create a dog like him. Then of course there people who get their purebreds tested to see how valid the tests are compared to their full knowledge of their dogs' lineage. I don't even want to get into those because they get so silly.
Your dog also looks to have too much of a narrow head to only have the above mentioned breeds in her. She's a cutie!
Anyway, I hope you don't interpret this as an attack, because I do not mean it that way. I just know DNA tests (both swab and blood tests) to often be unreliable.
No offense taken at all!
And thankyou for the Aussie compliment; they are some of the most amazing dogs!! (We actually have a new Aussie baby picked out already
)

We mainly had Macy DNA tested because she has several congenital heart defects that are fatal. The idea was to come up with training and medical plans more tailored to her needs so that she can thrive as long as possible!
The picture in my siggy of Macy is actually a pretty horrible one; she definitely has the chisled Am. Staff facial features and is much larger in person when you look at her up close. We researched the different DNA tests before deciding to go with Wisdom Panel Insights. I can definitely see traits of all 3 breeds in her personality (I had two Rotties growing up and have also spent a good deal of time around Chows and Am. Staffs...so I can defintiely see a few quirks in her personality that would explaine it a bit.) I do agree that some of the test results other companies send out seem a bit crazy when you look at the pictures!
Also, keep in mind that a lot of companies only test with breeds that are DNA profiled into their database...we went with Wisdom Panel Insights because they had one of the largest breed lists to match from; that being said, I'm sure 5-10 yrs down the road they will have added more variety to their lists, so people who retest could certainly get more varied results.
 

Asteria

TCS Member
Top Cat
Joined
Jun 2, 2006
Messages
1,944
Reaction score
16
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

No offense taken at all!
And thankyou for the Aussie compliment; they are some of the most amazing dogs!! (We actually have a new Aussie baby picked out already
)

We mainly had Macy DNA tested because she has several congenital heart defects that are fatal. The idea was to come up with training and medical plans more tailored to her needs so that she can thrive as long as possible!
The picture in my siggy of Macy is actually a pretty horrible one; she definitely has the chisled Am. Staff facial features and is much larger in person when you look at her up close. We researched the different DNA tests before deciding to go with Wisdom Panel Insights. I can definitely see traits of all 3 breeds in her personality (I had two Rotties growing up and have also spent a good deal of time around Chows and Am. Staffs...so I can defintiely see a few quirks in her personality that would explaine it a bit.) I do agree that some of the test results other companies send out seem a bit crazy when you look at the pictures!
Also, keep in mind that a lot of companies only test with breeds that are DNA profiled into their database...we went with Wisdom Panel Insights because they had one of the largest breed lists to match from; that being said, I'm sure 5-10 yrs down the road they will have added more variety to their lists, so people who retest could certainly get more varied results.
I'm glad you're not offended.
I was worried after I posted that, reading back it sounded sort of accusatory to me.


That's a thing that I think makes a big difference- the amount of breeds they have in their database. One person I know of got her purebred Amstaff tested, she did a swab test (from what I know, sometimes less accurate than a blood test, but I could be wrong), complained about the results, but the company she chose doesn't have the Amstaff in their database.

I'm sorry for the bad health news for your girl. She's so incredibly lucky to have you to take care of her, though.
 

orangeishcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Joined
Jan 17, 2009
Messages
622
Reaction score
2
Location
KS
Along with Peanut (6 y/o orange tabby), I have a 1 year old Australian Shepherd mix named Sylvie! She loves to play with Peanut, but he's not usually so much of a fan, so we monitor their interactions and put him in his 'happy place' where she can't reach him if he's getting too irritated.
 

missm

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Joined
Mar 9, 2011
Messages
243
Reaction score
26
orangeishcat;3040465 said:
Along with Peanut (6 y/o orange tabby), I have a 1 year old Australian Shepherd mix named Sylvie! She loves to play with Peanut, but he's not usually so much of a fan, so we monitor their interactions and put him in his 'happy place' where she can't reach him if he's getting too irritated.
orangeishcat;3040465 said:
I love the photo! She is such a cute dog (and I'm not even a dog person
)
 

orangeishcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Joined
Jan 17, 2009
Messages
622
Reaction score
2
Location
KS
Thank you so much!! She looks like a little angel, doesn't she?

Don't let her fool you.
She ate my favorite pair of Chucks before I wised up and started putting my shoes in the closet!
 

shp26

TCS Member
Young Cat
Joined
Jun 23, 2006
Messages
31
Reaction score
1
Location
With the cats
In addition to "the girls", we also have an Alaskan Malamute named Blizzard. He's about 4 years old and is GREAT with the cats.
 

naps with cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Joined
Oct 21, 2009
Messages
525
Reaction score
1
The occasional ants. My cats love them so much they eat them.
Also, our stairwell attracts mosquitos; try my hardest to keep them out, but they want to be pets, too I guess . . .
 

royan9

TCS Member
Kitten
Joined
Mar 30, 2011
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Hey friends great information and animals pictures.I really like it. I have also 1 cat and a little dog and i love to spend time with them.
________
Royan9
 

katkuddler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Joined
Jun 6, 2010
Messages
302
Reaction score
12
Location
So Florida
We have three aquariums with various fresh water fish. In the pic below, top left is our recently departed Shadow (she was a huntress). Top right is our departed "Mooch" (she certainly was). Bottom left is "Sam". and is still purring and is in my sig. Bottom right is our departed "Casey", at 100 LBS was a great watchdog.
.


When Casey left us we got "Katey" (no picture available). She is also about 100 LBS and is in charge of our house. We recently adopted "Heidi", as seen in the picture below. She's about 11 months in that photo.

BTW #1... Our German Shepherds protect the house, and "Sam" the cat rules all the animals.


BTW #2...All our pets have been rescue...except for the fish, and I guess they were rescued in an aquatic sort of way.

.
 

Asteria

TCS Member
Top Cat
Joined
Jun 2, 2006
Messages
1,944
Reaction score
16
Katkuddler, I'm here drooling over Heidi! What a gorgeous dog.
 

katkuddler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Joined
Jun 6, 2010
Messages
302
Reaction score
12
Location
So Florida
Originally Posted by Mollysmom

Katkuddler, I'm here drooling over Heidi! What a gorgeous dog.
Thanks. She was abandoned in the neighborhood. Can you imagine someone dropping off that dog. We did the signs in the neighborhood, ads in the newspaper and internet...nothing. We took her to the vet to check for a chip...nada. So we got her shots and with the help of TCS, named her Heidi.

Molly and Polly...that's cute...I like that. My first cat as an adult was a Sealpoint. She kept me company for 19 years. See in my signature...Mandy. She's a Lynx Point that I found at animal control, and had to adopt. I'll always have a thing for Siamese. Here's another pic of Mandy.
.
 
Top