What pets do you have

bluerexbear

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lady Rowan

wow Rosco is a BEAUTIFUL Cocker!
He is one of the really well bred ones out there it looks like
Thank you. The look in that picture takes a LOT of work. I don't spend as much time on MY hair as I do his when he is in full coat like that.

Unfortunately, "well bred" is not really true for Rosco. He is not breed standard (he has curly hair, his ears are set too high, nose is too long, and he is too tall/heavy). However, the biggest set of issues comes with his SEVERE allergies. He has to eat food with no corn. If he so much as eats a dorito that the kids drop, he breaks out - when he scratches the allergy spots, they get infected with Staph. When he scratches the staph spots, they spread because...da da da da...he is allergic to his own staph! He has been on allergy shots for the last 3 years (yes..allergy SHOTS...like a human! and no, they aren't cheap!). He has to have food ordered for him special because his allergies do not stop with corn. Right now, he has just had an outbreak and is on antibiotics again. *sigh* When he has an outbreak, I have to shave him bald...so he is not nearly as pretty as his picture in the thread above at the moment.

BUT...he is my baby and I love him regardless. The breeder...well, we just won't even go there.

lady rowan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BlueRexBear

Thank you. The look in that picture takes a LOT of work. I don't spend as much time on MY hair as I do his when he is in full coat like that.

Unfortunately, "well bred" is not really true for Rosco. He is not breed standard (he has curly hair, his ears are set too high, nose is too long, and he is too tall/heavy). However, the biggest set of issues comes with his SEVERE allergies. He has to eat food with no corn. If he so much as eats a dorito that the kids drop, he breaks out - when he scratches the allergy spots, they get infected with Staph. When he scratches the staph spots, they spread because...da da da da...he is allergic to his own staph! He has been on allergy shots for the last 3 years (yes..allergy SHOTS...like a human! and no, they aren't cheap!). He has to have food ordered for him special because his allergies do not stop with corn. Right now, he has just had an outbreak and is on antibiotics again. *sigh* When he has an outbreak, I have to shave him bald...so he is not nearly as pretty as his picture in the thread above at the moment.

BUT...he is my baby and I love him regardless. The breeder...well, we just won't even go there.
really?? usually the "exceptionally pretty ones" are, it shows what an awesome owner can do to take care of their pet though, so good job

bluerexbear

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

really?? usually the "exceptionally pretty ones" are, it shows what an awesome owner can do to take care of their pet though, so good job
Thanks. He is a sweet dog - a very "old soul" and very precious to my oldest son and I. There are too many shelter dogs out there that need homes for me to buy from a breeder again, but he is my dog for life and I will take good care of him as long as he lives.

meow meow meow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I own 1 cat. I used to own some fish but they died... I was hopeless with fish! I used to keep sea snails as well but they werent any good as they didnt do their job and died.
I also used to own some garden snails but they were way too messy so i let them go.
I plan on getting a few more kitties soon and maybe a dog... But probably not. And i have always wanted a rat... I think i should stop now haha.
I part own a horse called Sheriff though and i love him to pieces.

hypancistrus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My GF and I had a lot of pets alone, but when we moved in together it became a veritable zoo.

We have three dogs (Riley, Golden Retriever, age 4; Apache, Chihuahua, age 1; Katie, Basset hound, age 7 mths)

2 aging ferrets (Bob & Yuki, both 5)

Some birds (1 nanday conure, Rico; 2 cockatiels, Toby & Midas; 2 parakeets, Sherman & Sydney)

2 rats-- Star & Ruby

About a dozen gerbils, including the family my animal behavior class is observing right now

2 rescued Roborovski's Hamsters (older-- 18 months+)

1 very ancient albino hedgehog who has gotten very... geriatric... in the past month-- her name is Annabelle

2 cavies, Baby Ruth & Reese

1 mini-rabbit, Oreo

a 55 gallon tropical community aquarium

And then there's the reptiles... there's a lot of them, too many to list by name even though they all have names (that we remember!!). Including snakes (35 or so), lizards (10?), two turtles and 1 tort, a few frogs and other miscellaneous amphibians, and three spiders.

We also raise our own feeder bugs for the reptiles, including two types of cockroaches, superworms and mealworms.

We do educational events with our reptiles and amphibians, including day care and school programs and summer camp presentations. We've also done presentations for private venues such as churches and parties.

We also do reptile adoption and usually have anywhere from 1 to half a dozen critters with us that aren't permanent. Right now we have 4 baby yellow-belly slider turtles we're trying to place.

My lady has a horse, as well, that is kept at her parents farm in Virginia. Someday we'd like enough land that we be with her permanently.

lady rowan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Hypancistrus

My GF and I had a lot of pets alone, but when we moved in together it became a veritable zoo.

My lady has a horse, as well, that is kept at her parents farm in Virginia. Someday we'd like enough land that we be with her permanently.
Oh my gosh, how do you have the energy to take care of them all?
kudos to you :p

I have a dream of owning a small piece of land as well one day.

tillymoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have a Great Dane called Zeus he's 3yrs we've only had him just over 6months our good friend who breeds them asked us did we want to take him after our old girl Dolly died in the summer we call him our resident retard.
2yrs ago my daughter won 2 goldfish at the local travelling fair and they died 2 days later she was upset so we bought her some decent ones from the aquarium place, they then outgrew their tank so i had to buy a much bigger set up!! (darn kids) and we added another goldfish, a weather loach and some sucking loaches 8 fish in total.
Then she wanted a hamster so we now have 2 dwarfs called Paris Hilton and Holly

We did have 2 canaries too but we went on holiday and left them with my dad and i never picked them back up he still says 4 yrs on when are we taking the birds back haha

hypancistrus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Oh my gosh, how do you have the energy to take care of them all?
kudos to you :p

I have a dream of owning a small piece of land as well one day.
We just have everything pretty well scheduled with regards to when certain things are done. It's a shared passion, too, so spending an evening cleaning cages isn't a bad thing for us.

lady rowan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

We just have everything pretty well scheduled with regards to when certain things are done. It's a shared passion, too, so spending an evening cleaning cages isn't a bad thing for us.
that's always a good thing

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hypancistrus - I hope you stick around to post more. Reptile experience and advice is sometimes greatly needed around here as there's occasionally a few who really need help. There was one member, who joined a reptile forum I was on for a while, who was feeding her eastern box turtle a completely carnivorous diet along with some dog/cat food.

Others make similar mistakes on that and minimum cage size.

hypancistrus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Hypancistrus - I hope you stick around to post more. Reptile experience and advice is sometimes greatly needed around here as there's occasionally a few who really need help. There was one member, who joined a reptile forum I was on for a while, who was feeding her eastern box turtle a completely carnivorous diet along with some dog/cat food.

Others make similar mistakes on that and minimum cage size.
Unfortunately, reptiles are so... alien... to most people that they simply can't understand their needs without really getting to know them through research. Mammals are easily understood, for the most part, but reptiles aren't. I've lost track of the number of new snake owners who have told me "My snake just stays in his hide all day. I pull him out and he goes right back in. And now he won't eat. I think he's sick."

It makes me want to smack my head on a wall... snakes HIDE. It's what they DO. They only come out to hunt, and when a big predator keeps dragging them out of their hidden lair all day, it stresses them to the point of not eating, and encourages them to hide MORE.

Reptiles aren't something to hop into lightly... but they can make very rewarding pets. We try to do as much education as possible with ours. I take them into my classroom all the time, and some stay there semi-permanently. We do all of our educational work for free on our own time, in hopes that we can reach more people about how amazing animals like this really are. They're not slimey or gross. They're beautiful in their own right.

We keep our herp records at iHerp, and you can see all of our scaley pals there (and the 8-legged hairy kind too): http://www.iherp.com/MasonDixonReptiles/

[We just lost our flame-leg tarantula the other day-- she got stuck in her molt during a shed and passed
]

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Unfortunately, reptiles are so... alien... to most people that they simply can't understand their needs without really getting to know them through research.
I think it's just the reseach part that most people can't dedicate themselves to. Some people don't like anything that resembles work.
Others aren't prepared for the costs.

I'm sorry you lost one of your tarantulas.

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^ Average! Bawhahaha. Good one!

Not talking about the number, you only have a couple more than me, 10ish is average fro ppl on this board. Pound for pound, you win though lol.

Other than cats, I have a doggie. She is a Collie mix, not Border Collie but Collie like Lassie.

youngbdbaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
other than my cat, i have a shih tzu, who is three, and a mini poodle, who is about 16. the dogs live at home with my dad. my cat lives in my apartment with me.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Besides my five cats, I have two Jack Russell Terriers named Wilbur and Henry who are both twelve year old brother's. They are a riot with my cats but I will say Pipsqueak rules the house in regards to them and they listen
. I just recently sold my Thoroughbred Dressage horse but still ride alot and have had horses for over twenty years now. Time for a short break

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish I could have a few reptiles, but we are running out of room in our small house. So we just go to a place called Reptilia as often as possible.

We do have a Beta Fish named Ginnyrack (don't ask me a 4 year old named him) and a hamster named Hamburger. They live in the boys room so the cats don't have snack time. I can always tell when the hamster escapes her cage...there is a line up of 5 cats at the door desparately trying to get in.

kitkat90

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hmmm, lets see...

7 Cats: Momma cat, 4 lil girls & 2 lil boy babies

5 Dogs:
Great Dane- Male 6yrs old
Great Pyrenese- Male 2 yrs old
Pitbull/ Mastiff- Male 2 yrs old
Pitbull/ Lab- Female 6 months
Dobermen- Female 8 weeks

4 Fish:
An Oscar- 9 in
3 Glo-Fish

1 Bunny:
Caesar is a yr old American Sable

Hopefully soon my animal family will go up a Snake and Hermit Crabs!

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 4 Cats:
Hoot
Ramsey
Swiffer
Bitz

Actually I have 5 cats if you include the feral cat that took up residence in my garage several years ago.

"Her" name is Bart.

2 dogs:
Scraps
Scooter

And an off track Thoroughbred named Foxy that I ride hunt seat. Foxy and I also hit the trails during the summer.

clowangel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have my 4 year old American Shorthair named Sho. He's the reason I come on this site occasionally as he's my first cat. I also have my six or seven year old (I honestly lost count) pigeon who sees me as her mate. I raised her from when she was a lil chick who was unable to fly. She's black, so obviously I had to name her Blanca. xP

I also have three budgies who I named Hawaii, Blueberry, and Kiwi. Have three Red-Eared Sliders named Hanabira, Midori and Nameless.

I've also raised plenty of rodents, fish, hermit crabs, newts, frogs, and other critters. But if I raised those now, they'd end up as cat food. ;-; Because unlike my birds, they can't fly. And unlike my turtles, they don't have a hard shell to retreat into.

Sho loves the birds. He doesn't care about the turtles. With Blanca, he has a sparring partner who has no problem showing him who's boss, and with Kiwi, he gets taunted by pecks to his nose when he puts his face to the bars.