What pattern does my kitten have?

SukiSuki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She was born orange cream. Her siblings are tortoiseshell. Her pattern seems different from every angle haha!
20210619_082441.jpg
20210619_082426.jpg
20210619_082337.jpg
20210619_082214.jpg
20210619_184304.jpg
20210619_132755.jpg

20210619_082441.jpg
20210619_082426.jpg
20210619_082337.jpg
20210619_082214.jpg
20210619_184304.jpg
20210619_132755.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SukiSuki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I didn't mean to double post the photos. I don't know how to delete them.

Reina’s Kittens

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is soooooooooooo gorgeous!!!:hearthrob:

I agree that she looks so different depending on the angle! The photo that shows her back makes her look like a totally different kitty! It’s like she literally couldn’t decide which color and pattern to be!

I LOVE her flower collar btw …

hmmmm….At first I was going to say mackerel Tabby with white (mittens feet and white bib) and vest buttons (spots on stomach) but then… her back is like a diluted Torbie?

Wow! She is stunning:lovecat3: What is her name?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Agree, torbie with white, and also a touch of something else. Silver or some other less common coloring.

If she had blue eyes, I would say, she is a point too; and this would explain this odd coloring. Compare with snow bengals.
But she hasnt not blue eyes, so this is soemething else.

A very adorable result all in all!

SukiSuki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes it's almost like she is kind of smoky.
Her name is Suki

SukiSuki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She's a torbie. . .but not the usual kind, idk what's up! Silver, maybe. Very pretty. Do you have any pictures of her when she was younger?
So the place that I adopted her from says that she was the cream orange kitty. They found th in a box on a street corner at 3 ish weeks. She now looks a lot like the kitty on the bottom left. Crazy to me that she was the cream orange one??

SukiSuki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well I don't know why it won't let me post the pic

SukiSuki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Here it is. It's hard for me to imagine she would change colors so quickly or so drastically. On the other hand, her coloring is so interesting now though so idk.

Attachments

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, that's very strange. I would have guessed they got mixed up and she's actually the one on the left but that one has such a dark back that it would be almost as odd as her being the orange one. I have no idea what's going on here, lol. I wonder how her colors will continue to change as she gets older.

SukiSuki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, that's very strange. I would have guessed they got mixed up and she's actually the one on the left but that one has such a dark back that it would be almost as odd as her being the orange one. I have no idea what's going on here, lol. I wonder how her colors will continue to change as she gets older.
Yes I thought that too. Those colors on the other kitten look too dark. It's crazy!!! Haha!!

SukiSuki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay well I don't know if this means anything but her fur is all white underneath. Underneath any color she has or stripes or on her head, etc, it is white at the roots...

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
If they’re white, and not just lighter in colour, she’s probably got the silver gene.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She perhaps had some odd variation of fever coat as newborn?? Making a havoc of her natural colors...

Again, if she were a point, the change from yellowish into tabby could be explained. And if she had burmese point in her (which doesnt not carry blue eyes), she would be much darker now, she wouldnt have the whitish background.

So a last straw of explanation: fever coat??

SukiSuki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She perhaps had some odd variation of fever coat as newborn?? Making a havoc of her natural colors...

Again, if she were a point, the change from yellowish into tabby could be explained. And if she had burmese point in her (which doesnt not carry blue eyes), she would be much darker now, she wouldnt have the whitish background.

So a last straw of explanation: fever coat??
Hmmm so I took her to the vet today, and she noted her interest coloring, but she didn't mention fever coat. However, I don't think she's too familiar with cat coats because she added calico to the mix. She was an assistant type vet, and she smelled like cigarettes. I really didn't feel like talking much lol!!

SukiSuki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I guess only time will tell?

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is a torbie and I do think she is the one on the bottom left. Torbies seem to go through interesting color phases lol. This was my girl at 5 months old. She had such a smokey/silvery look. You can tell if shes a silver if you can part her fur and the shaft is white underneath a nonwhite color.
2020-01-30 12.54.21.jpg

and this is her now, alot less smokey. Her coloring alternates between more silvery or more brown depending on the lighting.
20210302_141652.jpg
20210205_144547.jpg
20210109_140259.jpg
20210201_124025 (2).jpg

This is her at 5 weeks old, she is the one with the orange on the head, top left. Very dark as a kitten.
5wke.jpg

SukiSuki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She is a torbie and I do think she is the one on the bottom left. Torbies seem to go through interesting color phases lol. This was my girl at 5 months old. She had such a smokey/silvery look. You can tell if shes a silver if you can part her fur and the shaft is white underneath a nonwhite color.
View attachment 385776

and this is her now, alot less smokey. Her coloring alternates between more silvery or more brown depending on the lighting.
View attachment 385777View attachment 385780View attachment 385778View attachment 385781

This is her at 5 weeks old, she is the one with the orange on the head, top left. Very dark as a kitten.
View attachment 385779
Awe she's so pretty! Did she ever have orange eyes? Suki has orange eyes right now. I don't know if they will change again or not.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hmmm so I took her to the vet today, and she noted her interest coloring, but she didn't mention fever coat. However, I don't think she's too familiar with cat coats because she added calico to the mix. She was an assistant type vet, and she smelled like cigarettes. I really didn't feel like talking much lol!!
Vets arent known to be experts on cat breeds nor exact patterns. Its not part of their training. So unless they are themselves into cat fancy, or cooperate much with breeders and part of that circuit, they usually dont have much clue about colors, patterns nor breeds...
If she didnt saw the pics of her as kitten, she cant know much about this possible fever coat. As this phase is now over.

But labelling her as calico isnt that bad, even if caliby is a better label. Ie calico AND tabby... Patched tabby is a more official label, but among common people, caliby is often used.

Reina’s Kittens

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Vets arent known to be experts on cat breeds nor exact patterns. Its not part of their training. So unless they are themselves into cat fancy, or cooperate much with breeders and part of that circuit, they usually dont have much clue about colors, patterns nor breeds...
If she didnt saw the pics of her as kitten, she cant know much about this possible fever coat. As this phase is now over.

But labelling her as calico isnt that bad, even if caliby is a better label. Ie calico AND tabby... Patched tabby is a more official label, but among common people, caliby is often used.
I’m so glad you mentioned the term Calibby as I was getting more confused again about the difference between Torbie and Caliiby. I had to remind myself that a Torbie is a Tortoiseshell Tabby and a Calibby is a Calico Tabby. What confused me is: Can a Tortoiseshell have white? Someone at a rescue once told me that Torties don’t have any white otherwise it’s a Calico. But to be a Calico, isn’t a certain percentage supposed to be white? Otherwise the cat would look like a Tortoiseshell with some white… 😂

My kitten, Athena Mariposa, is what I would call a marble coat Calibby. She has white paws, white on nose, white bib and stomach.