What pattern does my kitten have?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I’m so glad you mentioned the term Calibby as I was getting more confused again about the difference between Torbie and Caliiby. I had to remind myself that a Torbie is a Tortoiseshell Tabby and a Calibby is a Calico Tabby. What confused me is: Can a Tortoiseshell have white? Someone at a rescue once told me that Torties don’t have any white otherwise it’s a Calico. But to be a Calico, isn’t a certain percentage supposed to be white? Otherwise the cat would look like a Tortoiseshell with some white… 😂

My kitten, Athena Mariposa, is what I would call a marble coat Calibby. She has white paws, white on nose, white bib and stomach.
Yes, what is a tortie with white, and what is a calico, is a fluid difference.

Genetically its the same. but lookawise, not necessarily so.

Most agree a calico has clear fields of color; the colors well separated.
While a tortie has the colors more intermingled....

So far, so good. But there are many inbetweens... So often its just to decide and take your pick in such cases... :)

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My girl has yellow/amber/green eyes depending on the light

Calicos have to have 30% of white on their entire body. A torbie/tortie can have white on the paws, belly, chest and face only. Once she loses her kitten fur you will know what she is lol. Usually at 6-12 months old. Until then I'd just call her a torbie or patched tabby.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SukiSuki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Suki was my first cat’s name. :)
Awe 😍❤ I love the name. It's so fun to say it. Sometimes I say Suki Nuki. Or sook sook or nuke nuke or Duke Duke hahah🤣😻
I've concluded that she is a silver torbie. I love her coloring so much. She's such a cool kitty too. I was so overwhelmed when I first got her, and I've had cats before! She's all settled in now and such a chill cool kitten. She loves to ride in the car!! I want to leash train her.

nwengel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Awe 😍❤ I love the name. It's so fun to say it. Sometimes I say Suki Nuki. Or sook sook or nuke nuke or Duke Duke hahah🤣😻
I've concluded that she is a silver torbie. I love her coloring so much. She's such a cool kitty too. I was so overwhelmed when I first got her, and I've had cats before! She's all settled in now and such a chill cool kitten. She loves to ride in the car!! I want to leash train her.
Our Suki was my childhood cat but she lived to be 21, so I was an adult when she died. I hope you and your adorable Suki have that long together!

I just found out today my kitten is a torbie also! This is Phoebe:

70E4474E-7B24-4582-B07C-B2F394354605.jpeg

SukiSuki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our Suki was my childhood cat but she lived to be 21, so I was an adult when she died. I hope you and your adorable Suki have that long together!

I just found out today my kitten is a torbie also! This is Phoebe:

View attachment 391329
Omg she is so gorgeous!!!😻❤😍

SukiSuki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Silver torbie! An uncommon type of tabby. This cat is a DSH, very rare to find in those types of cats. Usually, it's found in breeds like Persian, BSH and Turkish Angora.
Yes I agree. She is definitely a silver torbie. I was just thinking of this thread after looking at her fur right now while it is wet. It's so white underneath.

Attachments