What Nicknames Has Your Cat Earned?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FlawlessImperfection

Life isn’t perfect, and it’s lovely that way. ❤️
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Toulouse is Lucy's real name (we named her so because we thought another feral cat Latrec was her momma.) But we hardly ever call her Toulouse. She's just Lucy.
@krisrath11 I also call Lucy any variation on -ucy (including,) Poosie, Woosie, and Lil Boosie (a rapper in the south, where I'm from.) Here she is:
View attachment 221162

Mog has a million nicknames. Although we have since learned that Moggie is the name that British people call mixed-breed cats, and there is a book series on "Mog the Forgetful Cat," neither of those are his name's origin. My husband played a video game series called Final Fantasy, wherein a cat-like helper character would come and give you info. The character is called a Moogle, and the first one you encounter is named Mog. There are like a million of these video games, and throughout, each Moogle has a different name, usually based off of the prefix Mog, but not always. So, we get to have a million nicknames for him.
Some of my favorite Moogle options: Mogzilla, Mogriyo, Momatose (great for a napping cat,) Mogreg, Mogster.

Here is a moogle:

View attachment 221160

And here is Mog:
View attachment 221161
Also, I'm not the only one to make the cat / moogle comparison! Here is an adorable kitten moogle, just for fun!
View attachment 221163
I’ve seen those and wondered, now I know!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Willow is Miss Pretty, Pretty Girl and Miss Kitty. The first two are pretty self explanatory. The Miss Kitty name comes from Gunsmoke. If you are old enough to remember Miss Kitty, she had a beauty mark on her face just like my Miss Kitty.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh boy...LOL...I'm all about nicknames!

The collective list for all cats...on good days, which are 363 days of the year...
cute patooties, sweeties, Tweetys (a play on "sweetie"), cute, cutes, Toot (a play on cute), silly/sillies, cuteness, love, my love, my loves, children, kittens, ketones (play on "kittens"), munchkins, munchies (a play on "munchkins"), adorables, and "guys" to address all living things. If I say "GUYSSSS!!!!!" it's like all cats and dogs stop for one second and are like "HUH? Love you!!! <3".
I'm sure there are others I can't think of right off the top of my head.

The collective list, those 2-3 bad days a year when I've overslept, rammed my shin into the coffee table and spilled my coffee on my laptop, and am 2 hours late to work because I caught my elbow in a door (true story) while they're happily running amock, tripping me every other step, some choice names have come up, such as...
jerks, turds, dorks, a-holes (sorry, we all have bad days), butts, dweebs, dweebus, dingus, jackholes, turkeys, turkey-butts, tinky-butts, Beavis, butt-munches, you name it, I've said it...LOL.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Shoot, I forgot the special name for my IBD/Asthma boy...

"Man". That's it, just "man." It's always, "hey man, you hungry?" "Whats up, man?" "How you doin', man?" and whenever he comes home from a hospitalization stay (which has, unfortunately, become more common) the immediate greeting is "Hey, man!!!!" with a lot of pets, lots of kisses, and lots of "happy you're home" stuff.
He's special. What can I say?

Jayflower

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Of my 3, Olivie has the most nicknames; she is also known as "Squeaker", "Squeaks", "Olive-Eyes", "Olive-E", "Olive", "Kittypet", and "Sweet little baby"

C'est Moi's only nicknames are "Specklepelt" or "Speckles"

Hotaru's are "Little Taru", "Zoomer Kitty", "Zoomer", "Sea Diver", "Beetleflight", and her newest one(which she hates) "Fat belly"

bengalcatman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Makena - we generally just call him Makena, but once in awhile "Boy." A friend of ours calls him "Spotty Pants" for obvious reasons...

Lilia - my wife calls her "Chutch" sometimes. Don't ask. I don't know why. After 20+ years together I have noted many things my wife does that are beyond sense or reason. These quirks are best left as mystery and I love them as much as the rest her.

June Bug - No nicknames. She is a truly a June Bug.

I wondered about how cats know their names. I also wondered if nicknames were confusing to cats. Some research found that there are many different ways in which cats understand they are being called. Some know the tone/tempo of their owners voice when they are called and will respond to any word/sound spoken in a certain manner. Other cats respond in a contextual way, you are looking at them, they hear the can opener, you open a door, enter a room, etc. while speaking their name and they recognize the name in that scenario. Others simply know their name. This makes perfect sense, cats are extremely adaptable and simply find what works best in their given home environment. A nickname does not confuse a cat because they are not wholly reliant on a specific word to figure out that they are being addressed.

HellsBells80

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Lucifer- lucifuse , fuse, fuseluc, gorgeous boy, big black cat.
Pagan- Peggy, pegs, baby girl
Scarlett - scarbs, fluffy bum, hairy Winnie (don't know why)
Damien - deedum, dame, baby black cat
Willow- wispy, wills, wee willow, multi coloured Winnie
Jasper doesn't have one yet we've only had him a week
They all answer to all their names too

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My late cat Cucumella's occasional nickname was "Cucu" pronounced coo coo. She "answered" to both calls. I don't know whether she associated her nickname with hersef but she did understand that I was calling her and did come over every time. Cucu being a particularly affectionate name today sometimes I use it absentmindedly when talking to Sombra.

Last edited:

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Olive we call “boomy” from the boomerang in Avatar the last airbender - because she always comes back. Also “Porky Cat” lol. “Basement cat” and then any dessert name that we are feeling since she’s the only girl: my Little chocolate muffin, my Little cinnamon struessal, my Little tiramisu etc.

Gohan is “ninja” and “little grey and white cat” and sometimes “little man”

Trin is “tabby”, “panda cat” “Trin-Trin” and “Trinny Trin Trin” Both boys are “buddy”

I wondered about how cats know their names. I also wondered if nicknames were confusing to cats. Some research found that there are many different ways in which cats understand they are being called. Some know the tone/tempo of their owners voice when they are called and will respond to any word/sound spoken in a certain manner. Other cats respond in a contextual way, you
So Gohan knows his name. He comes 50% of the time for me and 100% for Randall. One day I laughed that he talks to Trin and Olive like a cat/child and Gohan like an adult. When we started integration efforts with Olive, Randall had started talking more in soft calming “baby talk” than his normal “speak to my cat like an adult way”. This actually made Gohan more nervous and unsure. I noticed his unconscious switch, and mentioned it. Once he switched back to adult speech, Gohan became more reassured and less angsty and the integration got slightly better. It was really interesting, because he knows his name clearly, but the tone was so important as well (beyond an obvious happy vs angry tone).

theflash82

i don't own my cats, my cats own me
Young Cat
Purraise
Moon earned the nickname Petunia from my friend
^we also made a show for him called Mooney Tunes
Rocky is Rockstar
Misty is Mistykit
Muffin is Muff or Muffiiiiiin

LisaT.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
20180224_160819_resized.jpg
Theo - Thee Thee, Little Man, Bug Bug, Big Boy, Sweet Pea, Sweetheart, Dolly Boy, Chirpy Chirp
Windy - Win, Winnie, Baby Girl, Sweet Pea, Sweetheart, Dolly Girl, Love Bug, Baby Doll

Catsnkiddos

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our shave a number of nicknames:
Jake: JakeyCat, Miss Wittens, kitty witty girl (Jake is a girl despite her masculine name)
Marley: Marles (marles meowklie);Marleykins; Catman; Marley Warley; MarMar
Lola: lowly worm; lur
Collectively our unintended foster failures are called the Hooligans:
Luna: LuLu; lunatic; tictic; babygirl;LunaTuna
Lincoln: LinkyDink; LinyDinkyDo; MrLincoln; Link; Little Cat Guy
Atticus: Catticus; CusCus; Cus; Catticus the great; Badicus; Badassicuss

mikameek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mika's biggest nickname is my username. But there is also just meeks, miki meeks, stinky butt (because her constant need to sit her butt literally on my face right now), bb (literally pronounced b b, like baby), beebs (another rendition of baby) and mikarooni. I started calling her Mimsy in the very beginning but it didn't stick.

Last edited:

Artistwolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Pepper got the nickname Froot Loops because I dropped one on the floor the other day and he hurried over and ate it up (why do cats not touch a piece of chicken or meat but want random non-cat-food items like cereal?? Lol). He also gets called Pep, Pepsi, Pepsi-Cola, amd Peppery-pep.
I sometimes call Salt my Marshmallow, Fatso, or Saltycrax (a type of cracker in South Africa and maybe Britain, not sure), but mostly just Salty.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
Seal is Cuteness, Cute Stuff, Claws and sometimes Monkey. OK, I admit it, sometimes I call him Baby Sugar. He's just such an affectionate and good-looking little guy!

Leo is El Magnifico (he insists,) Boss (he is) or Buddy. When he head butts me in the face, I call him Love Cat.