What Might Be The Reason Of This Puking Food?

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hima isn't a puker but she puked bile early in the morning exactly a month ago which I believe either was hairball related or the chickeny wet food she had earlier that night didn't sit well -- she got better in 48 hours on her own with the only thing I did was to give malt paste. This is what I know of though. She goes outside daily although doesn't spend a lot of time.

Today I gave her a Chicken based, very simple formula wet food BIO Chicken 2-3 hours later first she moved like there was a cramp in her tummy, then licked her tummy, two minutes later she puked. Earlier today she had her normal dry food a bit, and her usual Pro Plan Delicate canned food.

She goes outside and eats grass, I guess it might be something she ate outside too though but I'm wondering is, how likely is it that it was chicken? She shows no sign of illness but I don't see her poops as she goes outside. She didn't eat fast.

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I didn't see any grass in her vomit, and the food looks fairly undigested. It is possible that she could have eaten something outside, but again in looking at the vomit, I don't see anything in there but food. This seems to be different to me than when she threw up just bile a month ago. I suppose it is possible that both are related to hairballs, just at different stages in development/accumulation. Do you routinely give her something for hairballs?

I am guessing the food you gave her is new to her? The only way to rule out the chicken as a cause is to stop giving it to her and see if she continues to throw up anyway. You could also compare ingredients with the foods she is used to eating and see if there is something different in the new one that might just not settle well with her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't see any grass in her vomit, and the food looks fairly undigested. It is possible that she could have eaten something outside, but again in looking at the vomit, I don't see anything in there but food. This seems to be different to me than when she threw up just bile a month ago. I suppose it is possible that both are related to hairballs, just at different stages in development/accumulation. Do you routinely give her something for hairballs?

I am guessing the food you gave her is new to her? The only way to rule out the chicken as a cause is to stop giving it to her and see if she continues to throw up anyway. You could also compare ingredients with the foods she is used to eating and see if there is something different in the new one that might just not settle well with her.
Thank you for your input! I actually forgot to mention but she had boiled chicken quite a few times and there was no issue. So I doubt it's about the chicken. I give her malt paste but the vet said this is shedding season for Istanbul. Maybe it just wasn't enough the last few days.

I was a bit surprised the food was so undigested after 2-3 hours but I have no comparison scale. And the formula of this Schesir Bio Chicken is too simple, I was confused why and how it could be a problem.

Last edited:

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That could lend credence to the hairball issue, as there was enough accumulation to interrupt regular digestion?
That definitely makes sense to me. I was wondering if it was weird only to me that the food was so undigested - you know I don't have enough experience on things like this. THat's not weird just to me then. I appreciate you sharing your opinion.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The sad part is it is all theory. Feeby isn't a regular puker either, but a couple of weeks ago she threw up mostly undigested food. Hasn't happened since, and I couldn't really ascertain what might have caused it as nothing in her diet was changed at all. No hairball either.

I just watch her now more closely, as I know you will do with Hima.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The sad part is it is all theory. Feeby isn't a regular puker either, but a couple of weeks ago she threw up mostly undigested food. Hasn't happened since, and I couldn't really ascertain what might have caused it as nothing in her diet was changed at all. No hairball either.

I just watch her now more closely, as I know you will do with Hima.
You are very right that I will and I know that you do :-) Oh boy, don't you just love the anxiety... :beerchug: