What Measures do you take to boost your Immune System this time of year?

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello, I just thought I put up a health question asking the members about what actions, supplements, foods/drinks, other things do you normally do or take to boost your immune system during cold/flu season? How are you increasing your immune booster protocol in the face of this Covid 19 pandemic?
***Note. I am not taking Covid 19 or Influenza lightly. Your doctor's orders should be followed. Mask wearing, social distancing, frequent handwashing and being vigilant is vital in minimizing the risks. Also being considerate of the vulnerable and elderly. Not to mention taking vaccines that will be available in the near future. ***

I haven't got a cold or flu in the years and I think my immune booster protocol is helping. However, once again this is not a cure and will not prevent Covid 19. Here is what I do.
1) Try to eat healthier. ( I seriously like junk food, so I am struggling with this). I antioxident rich foods and try to eat more green veggies or I drink green juices.
2) Increase exercise
3) Take cold showers (I read this boost the T-fighter cells, thus improving immune health.)
4) Take a good multi vitamin and take additional supplements such as Liposomal Vitamin C (the best vit. C for absorption), Vitamin D, Calcium, Astragalus, Medicinal mushroom blend (Reishi, Mitake, etc), Ashwaghanda(for stress, hormones, and cortisol levels), and Elderberry.
4) I take Probiotics and eat probiotic rich foods
5) Also I wash hands frequently and follow all other protocols for safety.

What is your daily routine in trying to boost your health?

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My immune system has always been better than average- maybe because I was exposed to so many bugs at an early age. What I do, now that I'm an old geezer, is:
Get enough sleep
Take a daily multivitamin formulated for people my age
Get as much exercise as I can, usually walking
Take extra vitamin C
Get outside as much as weather permits to boost vitamin D production
Three times a week I take a low-dose aspirin
As much as possible, avoid stress. I have found that worrying seldom solves anything, and often makes things worse- and stress CAN have a harmful effect on one's health

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
What is your daily routine in trying to boost your health?
Great question especially this time of year when people who live in a winter climate tend to stay indoors more.

Working as a teacher for the past umpteen years I've been exposed to many different germs. Proper hygiene helped a lot.
I try to eat healthy except for the occasional sweet tooth. :biggrin: I've been vegetarian for the past 11 years.
I take a daily women's multi-vitamin.
Exercise has always been a big part of my routine and I never smoked.
Getting fresh air and spending time outdoors, weather permitting.
I also have a wide circle of friends so I never feel isolated.
I try to get 7-8 hours of sleep.
And, of course, I have always shared my home with animals which is a great stress reliever.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Whenallhellbreakslose

Top Cat
Purraise
My immune system has always been better than average- maybe because I was exposed to so many bugs at an early age. What I do, now that I'm an old geezer, is:
Get enough sleep
Take a daily multivitamin formulated for people my age
Get as much exercise as I can, usually walking
Take extra vitamin C
Get outside as much as weather permits to boost vitamin D production
Three times a week I take a low-dose aspirin
As much as possible, avoid stress. I have found that worrying seldom solves anything, and often makes things worse- and stress CAN have a harmful effect on one's health
Definitely, stress and lack of sleep can lower your immune system. That is something I struggle with.

AlVitamin D is so important and no better way than getting it from the sun. Interesting fact--Ginger haired people make their own Vitamin D. I have a few of them in my family.

You seem to have a good system in place. Thanks for sharing.🙂

Whenallhellbreakslose

Top Cat
Purraise
Great question especially this time of year when people who live in a winter climate tend to stay indoors more.

Working as a teacher for the past umpteen years I've been exposed to many different germs. Proper hygiene helped a lot.
I try to eat healthy except for the occasional sweet tooth. :biggrin: I've been vegetarian for the past 11 years.
I take a daily women's multi-vitamin.
Exercise has always been a big part of my routine and I never smoked.
Getting fresh air and spending time outdoors, weather permitting.
I also have a wide circle of friends so I never feel isolated.
I try to get 7-8 hours of sleep.
And, of course, I have always shared my home with animals which is a great stress reliever.
I keep running into more and more people who have become vegetarians. It took me-- a junk food junkie quite a long time to get myself to eat vegetables and drink green juices. I now eat less meat than I used to. I have considered vegetarianism, but I don't think I am there yet.

I used to be a smoker but I quit 20 years ago and never went back. I remember getting colds when I was younger and the smoking made absolutely things absolutely worse. One of the the best thing I did was quit. No regrets.

Getting out and getting fresh air is so important. Also having a social circle does keeps one feeling connected. It alleviate stress, especially not feeling alone.

I am sure that you had your bouts with colds being a teacher. It seems to come with the territory. Well, thanks for your response. I appreciate it.🙂

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I keep running into more and more people who have become vegetarians. It took me-- a junk food junkie quite a long time to get myself to eat vegetables and drink green juices. I now eat less meat than I used to. I have considered vegetarianism, but I don't think I am there yet.

I used to be a smoker but I quit 20 years ago and never went back. I remember getting colds when I was younger and the smoking made absolutely things absolutely worse. One of the the best thing I did was quit. No regrets.

Getting out and getting fresh air is so important. Also having a social circle does keeps one feeling connected. It alleviate stress, especially not feeling alone.

I am sure that you had your bouts with colds being a teacher. It seems to come with the territory. Well, thanks for your response. I appreciate it.🙂
Yeah; quitting smoking is a good thing. I was smoking 3 packs a day when I quit. That was in 1972, I quit cold turkey, and never smoked even once after that. It was a bad habit that I picked up while in the service. At the time, when we were deployed cigarettes were $2 a carton.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah; quitting smoking is a good thing. I was smoking 3 packs a day when I quit. That was in 1972, I quit cold turkey, and never smoked even once after that. It was a bad habit that I picked up while in the service. At the time, when we were deployed cigarettes were $2 a carton.
Good for you! I am sure you consider this one of the best things you ever did for your health. Lol $2 dollars a carton back then where a the average price of a pack is over $6 and in NY it is over $10. 😲 That's not just an unhealthy habit, but a pretty expensive one.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't really do anything. I've always been an avid hand-washer (especially since I work with the public) and I don't touch my eyes if I'm out in public (I always feel the need to rub my eyes though). If I do need to rub my eyes, I will use the inside of my shirt or a tissue. At home, I'm less cautious about it because I'm the only one here. I'm rarely sick and have always been like that though.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good for you! I am sure you consider this one of the best things you ever did for your health. Lol $2 dollars a carton back then where a the average price of a pack is over $6 and in NY it is over $10. 😲 That's not just an unhealthy habit, but a pretty expensive one.
I quit smoking 5 years ago with the help of Chantix. I consider that the best thing I ever did for my health. I smoked for 50 years. Back then a pack cost 25 cents and a carton was $2.00. The last time I brought a pack of Merit 100's it cost $8.00.

I have also been a vegetarian for the last 60 years. A junk food vegetarian. I try to eat a more healthy diet now.

I also take probiotics
Multi vitamins for my age and sex
Drink a organic nutrition protein drink every day
Eat organic whenever I can
Get a flu shot every year
Got the pneumonia and shingles vaccine

Whenallhellbreakslose

Top Cat
Purraise
I don't really do anything. I've always been an avid hand-washer (especially since I work with the public) and I don't touch my eyes if I'm out in public (I always feel the need to rub my eyes though). If I do need to rub my eyes, I will use the inside of my shirt or a tissue. At home, I'm less cautious about it because I'm the only one here. I'm rarely sick and have always been like that though.
That is a great habit to have. Do you want to know the statistics of people who don't wash their hands? 14.6 % of men don't wash hands after use of the b.r. while 35% only wet their hands. For women the statistics is lower-- 7.1% don't wash their hands at all, while over 15% washes with just water. This is a more recent study, past studies show much higher percentages. And hear is another scary percentage, The USDA, cites that 97% percent of Americans don't wash hands properly. This statistic is from a few years ago, so things may be much better now because of the awareness. I Certainly hope so.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Top Cat
Purraise
I quit smoking 5 years ago with the help of Chantix. I consider that the best thing I ever did for my health. I smoked for 50 years. Back then a pack cost 25 cents and a carton was $2.00. The last time I brought a pack of Merit 100's it cost $8.00.

I have also been a vegetarian for the last 60 years. A junk food vegetarian. I try to eat a more healthy diet now.

I also take probiotics
Multi vitamins for my age and sex
Drink a organic nutrition protein drink every day
Eat organic whenever I can
Get a flu shot every year
Got the pneumonia and shingles vaccine
You have been a vegetarian for 60 years and quit smoking after been a smoker for 50 years. Wow!!! Just goes to show it is never to late to change. I have a friend who makes every excuse to not quit smoking. She also said she is set in her ways--why bother now? I think I will show her this post, maybe she will stop making excuses then. You are an inspiration. That was no small feat.

Who knows maybe I can kick my junk food junkie habit for good. To be honest this is one of my most stubborn habit/addiction. I try to balance it out by eating more healthy foods and taking good supplements. I take protein drinks when I work out, but I have not been doing so well in that department. I going to have to squeeze out my old bad habits where they no longer fit into my life.

Well, thank you for responding to this thread. Maybe others will be inspired by this as well. Goodnite.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really don't do anything. I rarely get sick and if I do, it's mainly just a sore throat. I guess that's a good thing because I don't go to doctor's. Since I was an adult, the only time I've gone to the doctor's was when I was pregnant. Kids are 19 and 16 so that should tell you how long it's been and really it was only because I had to go. My husband and kids, on the other hand, go for yearly checkups like clockwork.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Pretty much take what you mentioned but also fish oil, Zinc and at times Oil of Oregano and Holy Basil and Andrographis, they all help with immunity and lung and sinus issues. Sometimes take homeopathic Histaminum for allergies and once a month the homeopathic remedy for influenza, try to drink lots of liquids and get enough sleep. Avoiding stress like was mentioned is key but this year with this plague and all it affected that is so so hard to do!! But I do try to do breathing exercises, belly breathing which helps a lot of things. Also some reflexology like tapping your chest under your collarbone, pressing on the back of your head at the base of the skull, squeezing the web part between your thumb and first finger, all supposed to help boost immunity.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Top Cat
Purraise
I swear by a Vitamin D tablet daily throughout Autumn / Winter. And 2 tangerines a day for extra Vitamin C.
That along with a long walk every weekend 😊❤
Vitamin C and D are important for immune health. My sister had bloodwork done recently and it showed she was Vitamin D deficit. I looked up the statistic for the % of Americans deficit in Vitamin D and read that it was at 42%. Yikes!!! This statistic is before the pandemic. It may be much better now. I get vitamin D in my multi vitamin and extra in the form of D3 in my Calcium supplement. Getting out and soaking up some sun is best for vitamin D, otherwise you rely on what you get from your food/drink and supplements.

Thanks for your reply.🙂

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Vitamin C and D are important for immune health. My sister had bloodwork done recently and it showed she was Vitamin D deficit. I looked up the statistic for the % of Americans deficit in Vitamin D and read that it was at 42%. Yikes!!! This statistic is before the pandemic. It may be much better now. I get vitamin D in my multi vitamin and extra in the form of D3 in my Calcium supplement. Getting out and soaking up some sun is best for vitamin D, otherwise you rely on what you get from your food/drink and supplements.

Thanks for your reply.🙂
Look at what the percentage is for people who are Magnesium deficient, it'll really floor you!

Whenallhellbreakslose

Top Cat
Purraise
I really don't do anything. I rarely get sick and if I do, it's mainly just a sore throat. I guess that's a good thing because I don't go to doctor's. Since I was an adult, the only time I've gone to the doctor's was when I was pregnant. Kids are 19 and 16 so that should tell you how long it's been and really it was only because I had to go. My husband and kids, on the other hand, go for yearly checkups like clockwork.
You must be one of the lucky ones with good genes. I get sick once in awhile. It normally happens when I am stressed out. I still go to the doc to see if there is anything I should be concerned about. That way it could be treated right away. I use to not go to the doctor, but seeing how my father suffered from Heart Failure and the way he went out--i decided to try to strive for better health and not end up like he did.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Top Cat
Purraise
Pretty much take what you mentioned but also fish oil, Zinc and at times Oil of Oregano and Holy Basil and Andrographis, they all help with immunity and lung and sinus issues. Sometimes take homeopathic Histaminum for allergies and once a month the homeopathic remedy for influenza, try to drink lots of liquids and get enough sleep. Avoiding stress like was mentioned is key but this year with this plague and all it affected that is so so hard to do!! But I do try to do breathing exercises, belly breathing which helps a lot of things. Also some reflexology like tapping your chest under your collarbone, pressing on the back of your head at the base of the skull, squeezing the web part between your thumb and first finger, all supposed to help boost immunity.
Thank you zinc and fish oil are also important for immune health. I get my Omega 3's from both fish oil abd flax seeds. I also take Adaptogens for stress, cortisol levels, and hormones. I am currently taking Ashwaganda, Medicinal Mushrooms and Astragulus, but I have used complexes with others including Maca, Rhodiola Rosea, and Holy Basil. I also take Tumeric at times. I find that Adaptogens are so helpful in my day to day functioning. This has been one very stressful year.

I do breathing exercises, but haven't gotten into Reflexology. I use to get Deep Tissue Massages when I could afford them. They knock alot of tension in your body. Go for the highest pressure application you can stand, otherwise you are not getting the best results. Thanks for replying to this thread. I appreciate it.🙂

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you zinc and fish oil are also important for immune health. I get my Omega 3's from both fish oil abd flax seeds. I also take Adaptogens for stress, cortisol levels, and hormones. I am currently taking Ashwaganda, Medicinal Mushrooms and Astragulus, but I have used complexes with others including Maca, Rhodiola Rosea, and Holy Basil. I also take Tumeric at times. I find that Adaptogens are so helpful in my day to day functioning. This has been one very stressful year.

I do breathing exercises, but haven't gotten into Reflexology. I use to get Deep Tissue Massages when I could afford them. They knock alot of tension in your body. Go for the highest pressure application you can stand, otherwise you are not getting the best results. Thanks for replying to this thread. I appreciate it.🙂
Thanks for starting the thread! I take Holy Basil like you said it helps you deal with stress, you know that it is still there but you can deal with it with a calmer mind!!

I'll be sure to take some next week when I take Sylvester in for his twice a year "haircut", that either goes real smooth trying to catch him or it is a disaster lol!!!! :clapcat: :eek3: 😵