Contest What makes your kitty so adorable? (Share stories to win!)

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ENTRY

fgvdeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee <-- courtesy of Katrina....

My kitties are so cute because they went wild over their rabbit ball toys that arrived this week. I used to always by fluff balls from the pet store many years ago, but the quality has gone down and they are extremely small now. Finally splurged and bought some handmade ones from Etsy, and they are really good quality and a good size, maybe even a bit bigger than what the pet stores used to sell.

I gave one to each of the kittens and my cat. They got so excited! Katrina would throw it up in the air, like she was tossing it for herself to pounce. Pursia was in her little, calmer frenzy and making her little cooing sounds when she feels playful. Even my cranky, older cat played with hers! She jumped off the bed and was racing around and batting it. All three liked to carry the fluff ball in their mouths, too... It was too cute!

mackiemac

Slave in a cat house
Alpha Cat
Purraise
ENTRY

Our now-18 week old kitten, Rain, became very ill at around 11 weeks old, about a week after we brought her home from a sad rural shelter as a sorry looking little fleabag kitten with a splendid personality. She got hit with several issues all at once-- fleas, probable Calicivirus, Bartonella, Coccidia, Giardia, skin infection... She was in critical shape for several days and we were caring for her with the help of our wonderful veterinarians. She was in pain, as the illnesses hit her joints and she could barely even stand. She was running a very high fever, and because the illnesses caused painful mouth ulcers, simply eating was a challenge. We set up a laundry basket in our cool bedroom where she would sleep with us at night, the cool air helping to keep her fever from getting out of control. We fed her mushy food with a syringe every few hours since it was painful for her to eat on her own. But she wasn't going to give up, and neither were we. She was tested for various things, including Toxoplasmosis, Feline Leukemia, FIV, Bartonella and of course, intestinal parasites. The Toxoplasmosis, FeLeuk and FIV tests were all negative, but she was strongly positive for the Bartonella and for Coccidia, and later on during a recheck, she came up positive for Giardia. We treated for all of those with anti-protozoal medicines and a long course of antibiotics for the Bartonella. A week after she started to get sick, after putting us through much worry that she might not survive... we woke up, and there she was, sitting up in her laundry basket bed, peeping loudly at us and then trying to climb out! She wanted her breakfast, and she wanted it NOW! Her fever was breaking, and she wasn't in nearly as much pain. We realized then that she was going to make it. We fed breakfast, and she ate on her own, and by that afternoon, she was playing again. Her fever completely left her the next day, and today she is a happy and healthy little girl, full of mischief and life and above all... love!

20191107_073741-1-1.jpg

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Love your story of Rain, mackiemac mackiemac (and your icon and the message below it!)
Baby Su, born feral in the Mojave and now 15 kittenish years young, has got me trained to a new ritual. In the morning, I bring in her breakfast, some treats, and the brush. She likes to be petted and talked to while eating, but even better than that, she wants to be brushed, so that's what we do. Sometimes she'll dance and prance for me, and sometimes she adds purrs to that. :cloud9::kneading:

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
ENTRY:

One day, my husband and I went to a local strawberry farm, where he forced me to pick strawberries. (Yes, forced - I would rather buy them already picked by somebody else. Anybody else but me.) :lol: After a day of toiling in the fields, we sat the container of strawberries on the kitchen counter. Daisy started sitting up, staring at the strawberries, begging. We told her she wouldn't like them. She continued begging. Finally, we gave her a strawberry to prove the point and she loved it. We figure she ate wild strawberries when she was a stray and had to survive on her own. Now, we buy strawberries for her at the grocery store and I even grow them in my backyard. My rule is, she gets one to my three. It doesn't always work out.

She also loves ice. When she sees me get a red Solo cup, she heads to the refrigerator. I left some crushed ice fall on the floor for her. Elsie has even watched her and taken up the habit. When she hears the ice maker, she will run from anywhere in the house to the kitchen. She mostly plays with it, but it is super cute to see them going crazy over ice.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ENTRY

I initially went 2 days to check out kitties before adopting. I relooked at the information on the website before going the second day to rework a list of cats to see. Specifically, I wanted cats that were calmer/bolder because Isabelle liked being around calmer dogs as opposed to more anxious/excited, and the kittens I saw the first day didn't feel right for me. That second day, first I asked for Persia. Her description at the shelter was loves to be held and not overly energetic for a kitten. I was also interested in another long haired cat, and she was listed as medium haired (which I've been told now is actually long hair, and her coat should grow it as she ages <3). They plopped her right into my arms, and she just started purring and was relaxed in my arms. I really liked her demeanor, and when she she was set down, did not hide like some of the other kittens. She instead had walked a few steps away from me and was deer-in-the headlights looking around and taking everything in. I played with her a bit and she reacted.

There were some other kitties I saw, some hid, and there was a slightly older male kitten that was playful, bold, and would climb into my lap to be pet and head-butted. I really liked his social nature, and knew I wanted 2 kittens, but did not feel as connected/right fit with the female kitten he was in with.

At this point, I knew Persia was my top choice. I asked if it was possible to see how the slightly older male kitten and Persia reacted as I'd have to keep them in the same room while introducing to Isabelle. Persia was brought in and the male reacted a tad fearful with archy his back and walking sideways. Persia just kind of stared at him like, what are you doing? and showed no fear. I had not seen the kitten that Persia was housed with, and she was not on my list, so I asked to see her since I knew they got along already. When they brought Katrina in, she climbed into my lap, purring loudly, and just wanted to be pet, and I felt more of a connection than the other male. She was super bold and friendly. I held her in my arms, and when the lady came back, I told her, "Okay, I've fallen in love with her. I'll take these two."

And that was that! Katrina continued to be her bold self even after getting her home and always wants to be picked up and loved when I come home. Persia was a bit apprehensive the first day, but when I was laying down and reading at night before bed, she climbed up on the bed to cuddle next to my leg. I think having the bold Katrina helped Persia feel more comfortable and be more cat-like. At first, Persia did not like me approaching her, especially if my hand/arm was outstretched. Katrina would be in my lap being held and pet, and when Persia saw this, these were the times she approached looking like she was wanted to be pet. Sometimes she would approach slightly boldly, but then seemed to change her mind and shrink back, but then walked over curious and bolder, and shrink back as if to question if she should approach and ask for pets. She was still skittish, but after a day or two, she would approach/walk into my outstretched hand. Maybe about a week later, she was okay with me reaching out to pet her. Now she is a total love bug and will climb all by herself into my lap. We snuggle every morning for the past few weeks.

Persia is also less deer in the headlights. She really likes to observe things and is very calm, so not sure why she was like this at the shelter and when I brought her home, but maybe she was just taking everything in. Sometimes I catch her staring at the mirror at herself, or staring at me through the reflection of the mirror, haha! She seems to like to observe things.

Calicokp_

genuine cat lover!!
Kitten
Purraise
Entry
The most adorable thing gizmo my male calico cat use to do when he was 8 weeks every night when im sleep he will lay on my inner shoulder purring very hard slept with his face on the side of my neck cuddled and most the time the only way he knew to sleep. Very cute to see him play on his back on my neck somtimes when im just lounging or sitting up watching tv he finds anyway to climb their very adorable

mackiemac

Slave in a cat house
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Persia is also less deer in the headlights. She really likes to observe things and is very calm, so not sure why she was like this at the shelter and when I brought her home, but maybe she was just taking everything in. Sometimes I catch her staring at the mirror at herself, or staring at me through the reflection of the mirror, haha! She seems to like to observe things.
Love this narrative! Shelters are often busy, noisy and hectic places with lots of stuff going on. Maybe Persia was feeling a little overwhelmed in that environment, and now that she's in a quiet and loving home with more or less of a stable and somewhat predictable routine, she feels more confident and safe. It's quite common for shelter babies to feel a little shy and uncertain when they first come home, especially those who are more observant and "studious" by nature. I remember when we brought Rain home from the shelter. She hid behind the toilet or in the litter box at first, and she would hiss at us just a little when we would go in to sit with her. But it was just a little hiss, and then she would venture out to sniff of us, and let us pet her and hold her gently on our laps. Then, just as she was getting settled in, she got very sick. It's also possible that she was not feeling her best, either. But now that she's been with us for almost 2 months, and she's feeling well, she's the queen of the castle, and quite bold! She even dominates our 14 year old male! I suspect that she will be the strong alpha cat in the house, even after he passes on and we get yet another kitty in there. So perhaps as Persia continues her "reign" in your castle, she will continue to blossom. She will probably always be observant, but as she gains confidence, she will thrive. Thank you for adopting!

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Love this narrative! Shelters are often busy, noisy and hectic places with lots of stuff going on. Maybe Persia was feeling a little overwhelmed in that environment, and now that she's in a quiet and loving home with more or less of a stable and somewhat predictable routine, she feels more confident and safe. It's quite common for shelter babies to feel a little shy and uncertain when they first come home, especially those who are more observant and "studious" by nature. I remember when we brought Rain home from the shelter. She hid behind the toilet or in the litter box at first, and she would hiss at us just a little when we would go in to sit with her. But it was just a little hiss, and then she would venture out to sniff of us, and let us pet her and hold her gently on our laps. Then, just as she was getting settled in, she got very sick. It's also possible that she was not feeling her best, either. But now that she's been with us for almost 2 months, and she's feeling well, she's the queen of the castle, and quite bold! She even dominates our 14 year old male! I suspect that she will be the strong alpha cat in the house, even after he passes on and we get yet another kitty in there. So perhaps as Persia continues her "reign" in your castle, she will continue to blossom. She will probably always be observant, but as she gains confidence, she will thrive. Thank you for adopting!
Thanks, I've always adopted or taken in cats that people of people I knew were rehoming! Thanks for sharing your experience! Persia was also a kitten that was found outside and brought in, and her records indicate she was at the shelter about a month (both were a few days before 3 months old when adopted), and Katrina was at the shelter for less than a week and was given up by a family who had too many pets. Considering being new to humans and new environment, like you said, it makes sense.

Glad Rain is doing well! Sounds like she has really settled home and feeling secure if she is letting her dominance show through! It's such a nice journey watching kitties grow up and how their personalities, etc. show as they feel safe.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ENTRY

My kittens have this ridiculous habit with my succulent plants. Specifically, the hens and chicks. I thought I had blocked the area off with plants and hadn't seen them try jump/get up there for a while. One day, I checked the plants and noticed the pot with 6 hen and chicks, the plants all looked kind of weird. I inspected closer, and ALL the plants had been plucked out of the soil and placed back on top!! :flail: That's all they do. Don't try to eat them. Don't carry them off. Just pull them out and drop them! It makes me smile how ridiculous they are. Although, they are very good kitties, and that is the only thing they have gotten into/tried to destroy.

mackiemac

Slave in a cat house
Alpha Cat
Purraise
SECOND ENTRY

This is Kepler (10/1992-4/2005). When she was about 6 months old, I was in the kitchen making a tuna sandwich for lunch. I felt a soft touch on my leg, and I looked down, and there she was, sitting up on her hind legs just as pretty as you please and looking up at me with big round blue eyes. She had NEVER done that before! Of course, I couldn't resist. I had said that I wasn't going to reward begging, but dadgum it, she was just so cute that I caved! That was the end! From that point on, she knew that she had herself a weapon of mass cuteness. And, I decided to put a training phrase to that maneuver. She had to earn her treats. So, I taught her the phrase "Sit up pretty", and she quickly caught on. She would do it on command to earn her treat. Then, she figured out that she could ask for a treat by sitting up pretty. It never failed!

On command...

Sit up pretty.jpg

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Entry.
About 4 years ago we had a domestic short hair rescue. She was unwell so I took her to the vet thinking it was an upper respiratory infection. It wasn't, it was lung cancer. I was devastated and worried how I was going to tell my daughter who had left her with us when she went away to college. I sat down in my family room to have a good cry when all of a sudden Sunny, who was an unnamed kitten at the time crawled up on my lap purring and promptly feel asleep. Now Sunny is still with us and to this day that is the ONLY time he has ever sat on my lap. .