What Makes You Blow Your Cool?

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a real nice laser printer, like the ones in offices. Unfortunately, I'm going to have to throw it in the dumpster since it uses a LPT1 port and no computer anywhere has those anymore. I can't even give this away and it's the only printer I've ever owned that actually works.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
We had a huge Tektronix commercial printer that we paid $$$$ for back in the early days. The quality was superb and it had three paper trays. It must have weighed 350 pounds. Of course, it became obsolete and we couldn't get parts for it any more.

We switched to over-the-counter Brothers and have had excellent luck with them. Right now we have one upstairs in the computer room that Robert uses and one downstairs for me since I can't readily get up the stairs. That's nearly impossible. Our ink jet printers are Epsons and they've been excellent, too. The prices are reasonable, too.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a real nice laser printer, like the ones in offices. Unfortunately, I'm going to have to throw it in the dumpster since it uses a LPT1 port and no computer anywhere has those anymore. I can't even give this away and it's the only printer I've ever owned that actually works.
kashmir64 kashmir64 you don't need to throw the printer away. Just get a LPT1 port to USB adapter.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't even knew they made that. I love you :loveeyes: :worship:
Did you find this on Amazon? :rock:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No, just from a Google search but Amazon has a bunch of different brands.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
LTS3 LTS3 I was going to suggest the same thing. Several years ago, when I bought a new computer, I wanted to use my old printer because I liked it so much at the time. Because newer computers don't use LPTI ports, that's what I had to do. And it worked beautifully! :) (I got mine from Amazon)

HP sent the replacement printhead and I got it today. It came with new ink cartridges. I took the old printhead out, installed the new one and the printer is working again. Thank goodness.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a new gripe and I'm really mad.
Bought a new coffee pot today since my old one has seen better days and even after cleaning it, the coffee doesn't taste very good. Saw a real nice one..Mr Coffee (KNX series). Has a delay brew, which means a 2 hour shut off. No problem, just turn it back on.....Wrong!
You can't turn it back on unless you make a new pot of coffee. I have never heard of this stupid waste of perfectly good coffee before. So now, I have to drive back into town and return it. I'll stick with Black & Decker, which is what my old coffee pot is and it lasted a couple of years.

So all of you, unless you don't mind wasting coffee, don't buy this coffee pot.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Wow, kashmir64 kashmir64 , that is more than a little ridiculous!

My parents had an old Proctor-Silex coffee pot and it made great coffee. When Mom got a Mr. Coffee drip, she gave their old coffee pot to me....and I lost the cord to it. One of these days, I'm going to google it and see if I can find a replacement cord. Most of the time, if it's just me (or just Rick and me), I use our Keurig, but when people come to dinner, it makes more sense to use the Proctor-Silex pot. And it's still really nice.

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a new gripe and I'm really mad.
Bought a new coffee pot today since my old one has seen better days and even after cleaning it, the coffee doesn't taste very good. Saw a real nice one..Mr Coffee (KNX series). Has a delay brew, which means a 2 hour shut off. No problem, just turn it back on.....Wrong!
You can't turn it back on unless you make a new pot of coffee. I have never heard of this stupid waste of perfectly good coffee before. So now, I have to drive back into town and return it. I'll stick with Black & Decker, which is what my old coffee pot is and it lasted a couple of years.

So all of you, unless you don't mind wasting coffee, don't buy this coffee pot.
And this is why I love my Keurig. Unless I'm really craving the taste of coffee, I'm lucky if I can finish the cup. I got a $5 reusable filter at Walmart and haven't needed K-cups since. Coffee? While I'm not a Maxwell House girl, I get those little soft bags of coffee like Dunkin Donuts coffee and 2 Tbsp per cup. Tea? The not even ground up stuff that my husband got at a Teavana store, I need 1 Tbsp, the Lipton loose tea is 1 tsp. Hot cocoa? My Keurig has a hot water setting.

I noticed that Keurig has even thrown in the towel when it comes to reusable filters and offers their own now. It's not a metal mesh like mine is, but it's a K-cup size frame that holds paper filters.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Pet peeve-coworker who keeps talking to me about his guns and how great they are-I have no issues with guns-but I could care less about the brand or whatever..I know people have them-and I do as well-but I don't like bragging morons who have no mechanical aptitude. I don't even want to think about them taking the gun apart and cleaning it-especially when they have no clue how to take a nut off a bolt or reattach the nut and know which way to spin the wrench!

This individual has been here almost 10 years and other people have slowly stepped away from carrying the load. It's sad that someone is good at BSing and getting a job then manage to bypass the probation period and now it's almost impossible to get rid of those kind of employees...but the good news is they got another job in the works=so soon I won't have to fake listening to this person go on and on about something I just dont' give a rats behind about. And they have a bad habit of repeating everything they said when I ask a question about the issue they are discussing...so frustrating! Unfortunately they don't pick up on cues from body language or facial expressions. They have followed other coworkers into the bathroom talking about something and the other person is walking away trying to get away and they don't take the hint!

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
IndyJones said :
it's actually illegal to block a driveway here. You can report the vehicle to the cops if you get the license plate.

~ I have actually done that . The last time the people came running up the street while I was there explaining things to the police. They got scolded and told the car could be towed and impounded !
I'm pretty sure blocking a driveway in residential areas is illegal everywhere.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
LTS3 LTS3 I was going to suggest the same thing. Several years ago, when I bought a new computer, I wanted to use my old printer because I liked it so much at the time. Because newer computers don't use LPTI ports, that's what I had to do. And it worked beautifully! :) (I got mine from Amazon)

HP sent the replacement printhead and I got it today. It came with new ink cartridges. I took the old printhead out, installed the new one and the printer is working again. Thank goodness.

Maybe it's the new expensive gadgets that break down. I bought my HP ink jet printer F4280 about 4 years ago and it works just fine. I'm sure it must have been a cheap one as I can't afford an expensive one and don't see the point of all the whistles and bells that come with some of them. I get re-manufactured cartridges on line from 1ink.com and they work just fine. I used to get them from Office Depot but they closed down the store nearby and this is easier. The printer I had before was big and bulky and was damaged during a move, I forget how many years I had that one, but it also was inexpensive and seems to have lasted forever.

Last edited:

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
In an age where the ink costs as much as a new printer it doesn't surprise me that the printers break so easily. I've found HP has some of the best prices for ink cartridges.
Mr. Inkjet refills the cartridges while I pick up Indy's food next-door at pet value.