What litter works best when using the Litter Robot?

gesseppe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well from my experience... I check out the reviews (if any) on the product(s)...  But either way they get 3 different tests from me...

​1- Flashlight with low to no lighting,... stir up the liter and see what kind of dust fly's around..

2- Does this stuff get stuck between my babies toes or hair.. (some of the smaller granules are very moisture sensitive COLD floors and humid basements, leaving the liter        box tacky even before kitty steps in..)

3- Any previous or pending law suits on the product(s).. 

shirley kaminsk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi:

Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat Litter is an excellent litter and a lot of our customers use it with success.

Just to confirm, however, that we also have a litter, which a lot of our customers are using as well.  It's description is: All Natural Sun-dried Clay, Naturally Occurring and Made in the USA, Hard Clumping, Naturally Locks in Odors, Non Tracking, 99% Dust Free, Chemical Free, Scent Free, Soft Texture, Net Weight: 10 lbs. per bag, Ingredients: Natural Sodium Bentonite 

You can find it on the Accessories Page of our website at www.litter-robot.com.

If your cat urinates a lot, it is also a good idea to add crystals to your existing litter or purchase a litter with them included since they will absorb some of the moisture and make the clumps smaller.

Hope this helps and thank you.

Regards, Shirley

Litter-Robot Customer Service Team

shirley kaminsk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi:

Crystals will absorb the liquid and make the clumps smaller; however, they need to be small enough to pass through the sifting screen in the globe.

If you use them alone, depending upon the number of cats you have, they might need to be changed quite often, which could get expensive.

Arm and Hammer does make a blend of clumping litter with the crystals already included.

Hope this helps.

ccubb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
 I have had a Litter Robot for 11 months and use Scoop Away. I have used this litter for well on 16 years and never have an issue with clumping or smell (I also used it when I have the terrible Litter Maid). I covers smell well and has always worked well for my cats. 

shirley kaminsk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi:

Our recommendation is to use a clay clumping litter since it works well in the sifting screen in the globe..

Are you experiencing a problem with using Scoop Away in the Litter-Robot.

Please furnish us with more information so that we can help you.

Regards,  Shirley

Litter-Robot Team

jerryway

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have Litter Robot 3 Open Air, and I also have the same problem as dangotkmn - whenever my cat urine near the edge of the liner, the litter would get sticky and stick to the inside wall of the globe, and would not get it off during the automatic cycle process. I have to manually scoop it off the wall and put it inside the trash box, which defeats the purpose of the product (fully automated litter robot). I have tried two different cat litters, the first one is Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract, a clay-based clumping litter, which sticks to the edge of inside wall like hell. Then I tried Okocat Softstep, a wood-based clumping litter, which absorbs much better but still has the same problem. Both litters have favorable reviews online, I wonder if I am still using the wrong litter, or is it because of the design of the Litter Robot, such that the cat should not urine near the edge of the global liner, because it is shaped like a globe, the litters are so shallow towards the edge, as result it could not absorb fast enough, before urine reaches the surface of the inside wall?

neoncat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I, too, have the Litter Robot Open Air and have problems with litter sticking to the ball. We have tried two types of Dr. Elsey's as well as Scoop Away. We have used Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat for years and never had issues with sticking when we had our "Classic" Litter Robot. Maintaining this new LR Open Air has become a real pain... I have to manually "scoop" and clean the ball several times a day. Sure hope we find a solution.

jamina

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have the same issue with the litter robot open air.

before switching to this litter box, I used none-clay litters because I am concerned about my cats digesting clay and breathing it in, in addition to environmental concerns. 

When switching to the litter robot open air about 2 months ago, we switched to clay litter since that was recommended. 

I live in Europe and the brand I am using is extreme classic, which clumps really well. However, there is often stuff stuck to the black plastic in the globe and, even worse, one of my cats keeps getting litter stuck on her back paws. 

if you are in the states, I would try the smart cat grass based litter. it is supposed to clump better than clay and I have only heard fantastic things about it. I would love to try it myself but it isn't available where I live. 

I am tempted to try how the robot works with either walnut litter (and a 15min wait time) or might try the crystals too, though I am not a fan of these. 

I was wondering if someone tried the litter robot with a walnut based litter before and what their experience is. 

jamina

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have the same issue with the litter robot open air.

before switching to this litter box, I used none-clay litters because I am concerned about my cats digesting clay and breathing it in, in addition to environmental concerns. 

When switching to the litter robot open air about 2 months ago, we switched to clay litter since that was recommended. 

I live in Europe and the brand I am using is extreme classic, which clumps really well. However, there is often stuff stuck to the black plastic in the globe and, even worse, one of my cats keeps getting litter stuck on her back paws. 

if you are in the states, I would try the smart cat grass based litter. it is supposed to clump better than clay and I have only heard fantastic things about it. I would love to try it myself but it isn't available where I live. 

I am tempted to try how the robot works with either walnut litter (and a 15min wait time) or might try the crystals too, though I am not a fan of these. 

I was wondering if someone tried the litter robot with a walnut based litter before and what their experience is. 

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
I have used the Arm & Hammer litter but a 40 lb box is really heavy. So I have started to mix it with World's Best and that seems to work pretty well. I have a toy grocery cart (looks just like a regular sized one but on a smaller scale) and I put the bag in that and then just roll it to the LR. I still have an original one which I bought about 10 years ago and which has never jammed,  but also have an Open Air. 

teacherkris

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do you mean to just get a crystal litter and add small amounts to the regular clumping clay litter? I have one big boy who does indeed have large urination clumps and it seems like they never really dry out and harden in the box. Maybe adding crystals to the regular litter would help? 

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
I bought this stuff called Fresh Magic which is clear in the size of tiny pearls so it must be some kind of crystals, and mixed that with World's Best Cat Litter about half and half, it seems to be working quite well so far and it does not leave a lot of dust, a little is carried on the paws of one of my cats but I have to sweep every day anyway so it's no big deal. I gave up on the Arm & Hammer, it's just too heavy. Now I see another litter advertised that says it just slides off the litter pan. I wonder if it would be usable in the LitterRobot?
Regarding the inside size of the LR: I have one shorthaired cat who weighs 19 lbs so he is a big boy. He climbs all the way in, then turns around and sticks his head out to do his business. When finished he turns around again and scratches like mad before exiting. He does that in both the original LRI and the new Open Air. So it's not the size of the cat but whatever they are willing to put up with.
This particular cat will never put up with an old fashioned messy box again (I know as I had put one down for him to use while I washed the globes of both LRs and left them out in the sun to dry, and when I brought them back in he made a beeline to the LR and I thought he was going to flood it. He must have been holding it in instead of using a regular pan.
I will however say that in the LRI he will end up with tiny dust-like pieces of litter on his back, I think static electricity must keep some of it on the plastic liner as I can't see any but can feel it with my fingers (relative humidity is usually low here).

lorenaavila

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone. First of all, I would like to apologize for my possible grammar mistakes since I am not a English speaker. My question here is what litter works best for Litter Robot? I have tried Arm&Hammer, but it would become sticky when cats urine. It would stick on the inside walls of the Litter Robot and hard to get it off. Then I switched to The World's Best. But I don't feel right with it, either. The dusts look larger comparing with common litters, and they would attach on the cat's body when he finishes. My cat would travel around with his back attaching dozens of dusts. Every time he jumps or runs, dusts would separate from his back and drop on the place he stand. Sometimes I can find hundreds of dust on my bed. I am really exhausted when seeing so many litter dusts all around my house. Anyone has the experience of using Litter Robot please help me out! Thanks a lot.
Hello everyone. First of all, I would like to apologize for my possible grammar mistakes since I am not a English speaker. My question here is what litter works best for Litter Robot? I have tried Arm&Hammer, but it would become sticky when cats urine. It would stick on the inside walls of the Litter Robot and hard to get it off. Then I switched to The World's Best. But I don't feel right with it, either. The dusts look larger comparing with common litters, and they would attach on the cat's body when he finishes. My cat would travel around with his back attaching dozens of dusts. Every time he jumps or runs, dusts would separate from his back and drop on the place he stand. Sometimes I can find hundreds of dust on my bed. I am really exhausted when seeing so many litter dusts all around my house. Anyone has the experience of using Litter Robot please help me out! Thanks a lot.
Hi Dango! I tested 6 different cat litters with my Litter Robot Open Air and I picked the best 3. You can check my article on my website. Just type your question in google and then add my name Lorena Avila.