What kind of room/air fresheners can be used around cats?

chickpea616

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've seen mixed messages regarding essential oil diffusing around cats, and I don't have a diffuser right now anyway, but my recent "cat peed in the carrier and on herself" post got me thinking - there's definitely lingering urine smell on her and various places in the bedroom - for an overall general smell solution, what is safe to use around cats? Candles? (supervised, of course!) Air freshener? plug ins? deodorizer?

suggestions?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Me again ;)... I have heard of using charcoal sashays as a way of helping absorb urine smells. Here are some other tips from a TCS article that might be worth looking into (see below). I have also used Febreeze pump sprays (specifically for pets, as it is less 'perfumey') around the area to help, and there is a Renuzit solid 'Odor Eater' that works pretty well.
How To Get Cat Pee Smell Out Of Clothes And Linens – TheCatSite Articles

livismom1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would definitely stay away from any candles or wax melts with paraffin. They are not only dangerous for any pets but also children and adults. But you could do bees wax or coconut wax, some soy wax is safe. I second the charcoal pouches. They work wonders! You just recharge them by putting them out in the sun. I have them all over my house.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Air purifier. And getting rid of source of smell will work better than any way of covering it up.
as for candles, just remember that the smoke it generates is very little for human, but a lot for a cat; I have an asthmatic cat so I’m biased, but any smoke can affect any cat’s respiratory track.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, I just dealt with this issue last week. I work for a property management firm and the manager from one of our apartment complexes called to tell me that their office cat was sneezing and rubbing her face. She'd taken the cat to the vet who couldn't find anything wrong. I was in the area so I stopped by to see how she was doing. The moment I walked in my nose was assailed by the most overpowering, cloying, artificial flower scent I've ever experienced. The manager had installed EIGHT Glade Plug-Ins in a relatively small leasing office. Plus, she had two Time Mist machines in there! (These gadgets automatically spray air freshener every fifteen minutes.). The poor office cat's eyes were watering and she was sneezing and pawing at her face! How the manager was able to stand the smell is a mystery to me. My eyes began to burn after just one minute. When we got rid of all the plug-ins and automatic misters we opened the doors and windows to air the place out. After an hour the problem was solved and Duchess began to improve before our eyes.

I spoke to the manager Friday morning and she said Duchess was back to her old self. She also confessed that she finally understood why Duchess was symptom free each time she took her to the vet. Both appointments were early in the morning so the manager took Duchess home with her. I was shocked to hear that she didn't have a house full of plug-ins but she laughed and said her husband hated them.

I love a good Diptyque or Jo Malone candle, and I even have an electric Diptyque diffuser in my home, but if I even thought they were bothering my cats that would be the end of them.

Last edited:

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nag Champa incense.

Burn one stick for ten minutes then snuff it out. Repeat as needed.
It won't bother the cat as long as you don't let the house get too smoky.

Open the windows to let fresh air circulate. In winter, close them after ten or fifteen minutes.

We've been doing that for years. Casper sniffs. Maybe it smells nice to him. Maybe he's saying, "Yuck!" I don't know but he doesn't seem to mind. It hasn't caused him any trouble unless we let the house get full of smoke... which you shouldn't do, just on principle, cat or no cat. ;)

They also make Nag Champa scented oil that you can use in a diffuser or candle warmer.

strider rose

cat toy lady and cat mom to 3
Top Cat
Purraise
Nag Champa incense.

Burn one stick for ten minutes then snuff it out. Repeat as needed.
It won't bother the cat as long as you don't let the house get too smoky.

Open the windows to let fresh air circulate. In winter, close them after ten or fifteen minutes.

We've been doing that for years. Casper sniffs. Maybe it smells nice to him. Maybe he's saying, "Yuck!" I don't know but he doesn't seem to mind. It hasn't caused him any trouble unless we let the house get full of smoke... which you shouldn't do, just on principle, cat or no cat. ;)

They also make Nag Champa scented oil that you can use in a diffuser or candle warmer.
i love the smell of nag champa!

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
I've seen mixed messages regarding essential oil diffusing around cats, and I don't have a diffuser right now anyway, but my recent "cat peed in the carrier and on herself" post got me thinking - there's definitely lingering urine smell on her and various places in the bedroom - for an overall general smell solution, what is safe to use around cats? Candles? (supervised, of course!) Air freshener? plug ins? deodorizer?

suggestions?
Honestly you can try to cover up but it's not going to work unless you get the stink out of things. The smell on her will eventually fade, but they do make cleansing cloths or you can just try a damp rag and wipe her down. I use Clorox pet urine remover which is basically a strong hydrogen peroxide.

You need to clean otherwise you are just trying to cover. I have found that many plug ins and air freshners irritate my eyes and skin. I've read only negative things about diffusers. Air purifiers with hepa and will help after you clean thoroughly.