What kind of kitten?

MagickalBabe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just got this sweet girl on Friday. I haven’t come up with a name just yet, so name suggestions are welcome! I’m wondering what kind of kitten she is. She looks to be a Tortie or Tortie mix of some kind but on her adoption papers it said she was mixed with Calico. Thanks for the help and suggestions!

and yes I know she has a hair tie on her collar. It’s to make it not so loose so it doesn’t slip off of her because she’s so tiny lol.

Attachments

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Calico and Tortoiseshell are smilar; Calico has large patches of white. Neither are breeds. They are coat patterns.
Your girl appears to be what we would call a Torbie - a Tortoiseshell with prominent tabby striping.

She's a domestic cat short hair, no particular breed nor mix of any. And utterly adorable!

Please remove the hair tie. If it comes loose she's a risk of ingesting it and winding up with an obstruction. Find a collar that fits her properly. Easy to find in places like Petco, Chewy, etc.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In my opinion she's a tortie kitten, it seems to me she hasn't any white in her coat, so it's a tortie.

There's no need for her to wear a collar.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Right, dsh, tortie + tabby, what is called for torbie. So a black red torbie, not diluted.

Probably no true white spots. the white spots on face are sooner typical for tabbies.
She she seems to be shorthair; her tail isnt bushy at all; its the usual dsh tail. But she has lotsa of kitten fuzziness.
She has also possibly some sort of smoke or shaded on her. It will be easier to see when she is older and fuzziness is less...
But her being torbie makes it extra difficult to analyse. Its by itself a give away its a torbie... :)

OK. What is the difference between tortie with white, and a calico? Genetically they carry the same genes.

Most define calico by the colors are in their own, distinctive fields - easily seen three colored-

While a tortie is the darker colors are more or less motted in each other. Just the white spots are more or less clear cut.

Of course, its not razor sharp; sometimes its a matter of taste to decide which is which. :) And really important only for breeders of purebreds; because they must describe exactly what they have.

CuriousKittens

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm confused why everyone is saying torbie. She looks like a regular tortoiseshell to me. Her black parts are solid, not tabby, most obviously seen in her feet and face. The tabby in the orange parts doesn't count since they're always going to be tabby.

Anyway calico isn't a breed, just a colour/pattern. And she is not calico.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm confused why everyone is saying torbie. She looks like a regular tortoiseshell to me. Her black parts are solid, not tabby, most obviously seen in her feet and face. The tabby in the orange parts doesn't count since they're always going to be tabby.

Anyway calico isn't a breed, just a colour/pattern. And she is not calico.
Right now she has tabby stripes but her coat could change as she grows up. In any case not a huge difference between Torti or Torbi.