What kind of kitten is this?

kim c

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a six month old male kitten who loves water, jumps in the bathtub while bathing. Very active and can jump very high. Loves unique foods.. just comparing him to my 2 1/2 year old cat. She was never like this? Wondering if my cat may be part Bengal?? Someone mentioned to me those were traits of them?? Idk? Thanks!

Attachments

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Domestic shorthair. Cute one :)

Very active and jumps high is within the range of normal for more or less any breed of kitten. Now if your talking can jump on top of a regular height door or fridge from the ground, that level of athleticism is quite rare except in certain breeds (Abyssinian for example), but its certainly not unique to those breeds.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kim c

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, he can jump about 6 feet. At least my other cat could never do that or wasn’t interested in doing so

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, he can jump about 6 feet. At least my other cat could never do that or wasn’t interested in doing so
The internet seem unreliable on this issue. Guiness claims the record jump is 7 feet, but numerous internet sources note that up to 8 feet is within the range of normal. A youtube video that I didn't watch claimed 11 feet, which seems made up. Six feet seems pretty unusual for a random domestic shorthair, and one that is only 6 months to boot, but I have read accounts of mixed breed cats jumping on top of standard height doors and such. So pretty good, but he'll need a serious training program to break the record!

Zara12345

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a six month old male kitten who loves water, jumps in the bathtub while bathing. Very active and can jump very high. Loves unique foods.. just comparing him to my 2 1/2 year old cat. She was never like this? Wondering if my cat may be part Bengal?? Someone mentioned to me those were traits of them?? Idk? Thanks!
Oh wow! He does look a bit like a bengal, although personally I don't know much about them. What a beautiful cat😍

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Domestic short hair black or, blue (I think based on the toe bean/nose color), Tabby spotted or broken Mackerel pattern
I see no Bengal in him, certainly not in the coat color/markings or body type.
All of those traits can be found in all kinds of cats.
People tend to think tabbies are part Bengal for some reason.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think a common reason is, because of the spots most tabbies have on the belly.

So, spots on the belly: aha, part bengal!

This particular tabby looks almost as a spotted tabby, and is very nice and pretty; but still its no part bengal.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Probably because sketchy pet stores and backyard breeders advertise them as such and sell them for higher prices. (At least here!)

K kim c Here's an article that tells you the different types! The 5 Tabby Cat Patterns

mykal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Domestic short hair black or, blue (I think based on the toe bean/nose color), Tabby spotted or broken Mackerel pattern
I see no Bengal in him, certainly not in the coat color/markings or body type.
No such breed as 'TABBY', Tabby is a coat marking and Bengal cats have Tabby coat markings: spots, rosettes, marble. Stripes are also part of a Tabby marking/coat. A Bengal cat usually has green eyes, very round large eyes, longer back legs and a very muscular body.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
No such breed as 'TABBY', Tabby is a coat marking and Bengal cats have Tabby coat markings: spots, rosettes, marble. Stripes are also part of a Tabby marking/coat. A Bengal cat usually has green eyes, very round large eyes, longer back legs and a very muscular body.
The individual said domestic short hair as breed 🐱

I don't think any of our comments were meant to say that Bengals don't have tabby coats, just that spots are a very normal tabby markings that happens in non-bengal cats; therefore spots are not an indicator of the Bengal breed. 🐈

platty

Hobbyist Bengal Cat Breeder
Adult Cat
Purraise
Nope he's not a Bengal, we once had a cat very similar and as a kitten we took him to the vets and even the veterinarian thought he was a Bengal because of all the lovely spots on his belly, as he grew up those remained but his back faded and became just more of a mingled Tabby, his head shape and general body contours was that of a domestic cross breed cat and it was obvious at that point.

He was a brilliant cat and I wouldn't have changed him for the world. Now 8 years later we have lots and lots of Bengal Cats and looking back I kind of realise the similarities when they are kittens.

Our Bengal cats are so different to other cats and extremely vocal to the point where it gets so annoying :) also when you read about Bengal cats loving water that's so true too.
Your man is a lovely little cat though...here's some information on the breed which might help you.

The Bengal Breed