What kind of growl does your cat have?

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never heard my Meep growl until recently. She's about 2 1/2 years old, orange DLH. a small cat, and fairly kitten-like, even at her age. However, she has the ugliest, most menacing low-pitched growl I ever heard out of a cat. You'd never think such a noise would come out of her.

She only seems to growl when she hears unfamiliar noises, like ice sliding off the roof or a car door shut in the middle of the night.

What do your cats' growls sound like?

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The only time I've heard my older girl do it is when we brought home our younger one last year. It was pretty shocking to hear that low, grumbling sound come out of her since she is such a sweet cat overall. Oh and a couple of times when "enemy cats" come too close to our windows or back door.

I have heard the younger one growl once, while at the vet. She's not a fan and that one time she wasn't feeling well and when they tried to get her out of her carrier, well she was having none of it. This too was shocking since her normal "speaking" voice is quite chatty and happy.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Toffee has weak vocals as he's the runt of the litter, so I've not heard his growl yet. I've heard him hiss, and it's more like a sneeze! (The only time he hissed was when Fudge took his favourite toy - he's a big softie.)

Fudge has quite a deep growl, sometimes he thinks he's a lion lol.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
My Bourbon is the growler. She growls when another cat in the house gets in her way. She growls when she was just scolded by me and her aggression is passed to another cat. She growls when Graham chases her. She has this low growl which is scary to hear, and that growl is often followed by a swat to any cat in the house. But she never really fights with them, only with my previous foster cat Brandy whom she really disliked.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both my boy's growl like big dog's. Patches only growls when he's given cooked chicken he loves it and nobody would chance trying to take it away. Bandit the kitten growls alot when he's playing with wand toy's and having a tug of war trying to run off with the toy. You would think I had rotties if you didn't know, I know I've had rotties. :lol:

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Blue has 2 growls...one sounds like a phone on vibrate mode on a wooden table..the other is a deep throat growl that sounds like coming from a big cat...that normally occurs when I put a hat on..he does not like hats, something left over from his previous owners I think he has been hurt by someone wearing a hat.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Remy can't really meow or growl but I can tell he's mad because he snorts and breathes heavy. Maisie has a pretty typical cat growl. I haven't ever heard Flora growl though.

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've never heard my Juno growl. She's an only cat, so I assume that's why. I'll bet the first time I hear hear growl, I will take it personally and break down bawling.

I've heard her hiss once... at the hair dryer.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Greg doesn't growl. Instead he has a high pitched battle cry when he jumps on Arnolds back. When Arnold has had enough he responds with deep growls that you wouldn't think would come from a cat but rather some larger wild animal.

They wrestle and roll around, loudly banging against the floor......and then its over. Its actually all in fun, never blood or hissing.

20190112_065503.jpg

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cricket has a very low grrrrrrrrrrr. Usually used when someone pulls up to the house. She'll grrrrrrr and run upstairs. Or when she is wrestling with Austin. Austin, I don't think Ive ever heard him growl.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Krista was a sweetheart. But in her last couple of years, she would swear like a sailor at the vet's office. This unfortunate visit, I don't remember why she stayed overnight, but I had declined the 3 day bupe shot for her dental work thinking I would pick up her relief schedule with transdermal when I got her home. I suspect she would not allow the overnight person to give her a bupe dose. They had to let me back to pick up my very angry kitty. I had to throw a towel over her and drag her into a cardboard box carrier. The goof was trilling again as soon as we were in the car driving away. She got a bupe wet willy in the ear when we got home, and slept off that whole experience. Lesson learned. Never skip the 3 day bupe again.
View media item 422562

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Blue has 2 growls...one sounds like a phone on vibrate mode on a wooden table..the other is a deep throat growl that sounds like coming from a big cat...that normally occurs when I put a hat on..he does not like hats, something left over from his previous owners I think he has been hurt by someone wearing a hat.
My cat Peaches,7 pds, has a deep growl when someone takes or eats her food, gets on the bed with me, or I squirm