what kind of food do you feed your cat?

marge

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been witching between solid gold dry, wellness and Dick Van Patten wet. And it's working well, they look better than ever and have a lot of energy!

melissa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Iams dry here...I used to feed them Friskies wet but the poos were beyond smelly and Onyx's breath was horrendous. I'm afraid he'll get bad teeth, so they just eat dry now, and some pounce treats every couple of days . Onnie looooves his salmon pounce treats- I say "Treaties" and rattle the can and they come running

dougbug

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i feed my boys Iams orginal (dry) i have for 31/2 yrs. now they love it, my vet tried to get them to switch to that food she has at the office but they didnt want any part of it, so i didnt push

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chelle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
WOW! everyone seems to like Iams

jenng

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nutro Natural Choice
I like that it doesn't have by-products and no ground yellow corn. I switched him from Iams about 2 years ago, and he's doing really well on it. I'm a big fan of the Nutro line.

jasminecat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Royal Canin dry, i feed the persian and the kitten brands and i supplement it with fresh raw meat.

ryelee's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feed Iams kitten, but as soon as Chicken Soup for kitties comes out I am going to see if they like it.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Difficult, difficult. I stick to "premium brands", but our cat seems to have his own definition. I think he'd prefer live mice.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Difficult, difficult. I stick to "premium brands", but our cat seems to have his own definition. I think he'd prefer live mice.

1kitty2kitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our furbabies eat Feline Future's Instinct-TC food (a powder which, mixed with salmon oil, water and select fresh raw muscle and organ meat, creates a balanced diet.) We switched to raw diets after trying Nuto-max, a Waltham Rx diet, Science Diet Naturals, and other excellent, high-quality foods because of persistent health problems in one cat (she was constantly losing weight and having GI problems). A carefully constituted raw diet has made them both have a fabulous coat, and helped our sick kitty, with recently diagnosed hyperthyroid, to feel somewhat better and to maintain her (low) weight -- even gaining a little -- which astonished our vet given her extremely abnormal thyroid hormone levels!

misscharlotte

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat is about 14 months old and I have been feeding her Purina Cat Chow. She likes it and she appears healthy to me. I also give her treats that are a different flavor than her regular food in order to her some variety in her diet.

I've thought about "upgrading" to a premium food (Pro Plan, Nutro Max, Science Diet, Iams), but when I compare the ingredients they roughly look the same to me. The main ingredient may read "Chicken", but the rest of the label looks somewhat the same as Cat Chow. I want my cat to have good nutrition, but I can't afford the all "naturals" brands. Cat Chow also does meet the AAFCO nutritional requirements.

chelle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
when we adopted Alley they gave us a free bag of Nutro
kitten food....never heard of it before

melissa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by MissCharlotte

I've thought about "upgrading" to a premium food (Pro Plan, Nutro Max, Science Diet, Iams), but when I compare the ingredients they roughly look the same to me. The main ingredient may read "Chicken", but the rest of the label looks somewhat the same as Cat Chow. I want my cat to have good nutrition, but I can't afford the all "naturals" brands. Cat Chow also does meet the AAFCO nutritional requirements.
The only thing with that is that the first ingredient shown on the label is what there is the most of in the food. If chicken in the first ingredient, such as in Iams, that means that percentage wise, there is more chicken ( and that means flesh, not the by-products) than anything else.I believe, and correct me if I'm wrong, that Cat Chow has corn or one of its derivatives, as a first ingredient.

I used to feed Onyx Cat Chow, and while he was relatively healthy I have noticed a HUGE difference in his coat and energy level since I switched him to Iams a few years ago.

Iams is the priciest food found in our local grocery stores, and people think I'm nuts to spend 20 bucks on a bag of it, when I could get Meow Mix or Friskies for less than half of that- but it comes down to whats works best for my cats.

On another note, my grandmother fed her cat No Name brand cat food and table scraps and the cat lived to be 19 years old, and was healthy right up until she passed last year.

chelle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Alley won't eat the Nutro Max instead she's eating patches
Science Diet

misscharlotte

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The first ingredient in Purina Cat Chow is poultry by-product meal and then ground yellow corn. I do plan on trying a premium brand. It's easy to do research on the internet to find information and base prices. Now I just need to find a store near me that actually carries the brand I want to try!! I'll probably start with Pro Plan Chicken and Rice. I think that might still be within my budget.

marge

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's funny, I had a cat live to 20 when I was a kid and we fed her store brands. So who knows. But I do know my cats like the wellness and Dick Van Patten, look and feel great ..plus their poops aren't as smelly-which totally makes it worth it!

chelle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Alley won't touch the kitten food instead she eats Patches
food is this okay?

twiggylynn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just bought a bag of the new Purina cat chow indoor formula since my babies stay inside. My cats seem to love it.