what kind of food do you feed your cat?

russian blue

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by Meghan 614
I just began feeding my cats Wellness. I noticed that no one who replied in this thread feeds their cats that brand.............
Anyone else ever try this food????? Any opinions or stories?
I think many people are just not familiar with the brand. It is only sold in smaller pet food stores but is not available at the larger chains (ie: Petsmart/Petco/Petcetera etc.) Wellness doesn't do a lot of advertising to the general public. Unless you go out of your way to read about various cat foods, many people wouldn't be familiar with the product.

I have used Wellness since I brought Nakita home. Her breeder uses it and I continue to use it. It's a very good food in my opinion, along with Innova, Wysong, etc.

Wellness contains no animal by-products or rendered animal fats, preservatives, fillers, artificial colours. Also, this food has no wheat, corn, soy, or dairy products that can cause an allergic reaction in some pets.

Each cat will be different. So you have to find a balance with the price your willing to pay for the food, how your cat will react, and if it is available in your area.

Here are various quotes from news sources on their experiences with Wellness, Articles/Quotes Regarding Wellness Food

nern

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've never tried the dry Wellness but I have used the cans quite frequently...which mine love.

littleblackcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just recently switched Velvet from Science Diet to Royal Canin indoor formula. From what I had been reading the ingredients are a little better in Royal Canin. So far so good, I was concerned she wouldn't even eat it as she had eaten SD all her life prior to this.
She always tends to leave just a few broken-up chunks of food in her dish. I was rather hoping that a change in food might take care of this. No such luck.

3blackcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My girls eat Nutro natural choice and Nutro/max cat lite mixed. Also for treats once in a while we give them Nutro canned.

chester&charlie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just started feeding them Purina One urinary tract health formula, but they don't like it toomuch. I'm looking for a good alternative

jennyjen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feed my kitties Wellness and Wellness Lite dry food. The overweight one, Bailey, didn't seem overly impressed with the Lite formula, so I started mixing a tiny bit of the regular in with the Lite, and she looooooves it. When we first got the other cat, Nucchi, he was being fed Meow Mix by his previous owner and had very dull fur and major dandruff. Now he has nice shiny fur and no dry skin. Both of them are way more energetic with Wellness too, so I'm very happy with it. It's expensive, but worth it.

meghan 614

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cool! I'm glad others have good things to say about it.

JennyJen--you are right, it is a bit expensive, but personally, i'd rather sacrifice what I buy for myself to give the best I can to my cats! Even if it means i eat Ramen for a few days

glentheman20

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Call me crazy, but that Maximum Nutrition stuff seems like it's too good to be true. I paid like 7 bucks for an 8 pound bag (it's for the ferals). The ingredients look awesome. I wonder what's the difference between it and the other "premium" foods? I have my cat on Solid Gold and Natural Balance, and I previously fed Innova. I know that those brands had a little extra sumthin' sumthin', like cranberries, potatoes, duck, menan-something fish, and other goodies. I don't know how much a difference some of those things make in overall cat health.

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I feed Nutro Natural Choice, adult formula to my babies. I recently got a free sample of Royal Canin and they didn't like it.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Doesn't anybody else's cat demand variety all the time? JC won't eat the same food more than twice a week. I was concerned about it, but the vets said if it didn't bother him, i.e. his digestive system, which is just fine, I might as well go along with it, since there was less chance of any nutritional deficiencies that way. He also will only eat one particular brand for about 3 months, before taking "time out" for about six months. He gets dry in the morning, and canned (c. 3 ounces) in the evening. He's currently eating: Felidae, Solid Gold and Nutro Max Cat dry, and Innova, Solid Gold, Almo nature (organic Italian brand) and Miamor Feine Filets (German brand, with meat only). This is per week, mind you. I have three kitchen cabinets stocked with cat food, because I buy canned food in bulk to save money, and always have three opened bags of dry food in canisters. If it can be bought in a supermarket, he won't eat it, and canned food must be in little cans ( 2 - 4 ounces ), not pouches, aluminium dishes, or large cans. A guy who works for a major "premium" pet food company told me preference for little cans wasn't just a "foible" - the food is heated after canning, and the smaller the can, the less heat and the shorter the heating period, so the food actually is tastier. He also believed that food in cans stayed fresher than that in pouches or dishes.

crazy-cat-lover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed my kitties Natural Balance dry and a variety of wet foods. The outdoor kitties get Purina One and a variety of wet food!

shadowrose

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I feed my cats Nutro Salmon or regular cat food and Nutro can food. They are the only few brands of cat food I have found that doesn't include meat by products.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chelle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Amber is adorable...what a sweetie she is

beautifuldevian

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The kittens eat Iams Kitten
the cats eat Iams regular, with hairball control, and cavity fighting protection.. or whatever that stuff is. Although they all end up eating the same thing anyways..

chelle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got a coupon in the mail for a free bag of Iams cat food
maybe i'll get it to see if patches will like it

purrfectcatlove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Shadowrose I feed my cats Nutro Salmon or regular cat food and Nutro can food. They are the only few brands of cat food I have found that doesn't include meat by products

I 2nd that one

chelle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used my coupon for the Iams and patches just loves it!!!!

mys

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat likes Whiskas canned a lot. I mix it with Special Kerr dry food for neutered cats and he really has a happy meal! Now and then he gets some cooked fish or chicken.