What kind of dry and can food do you suggest?

kcoston

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just adopted 2 litter mates that are 3 months old from the humane society 10 days ago. Since I brought them home I have been feeding them Purina One Smart Blend Dry Kitten Food. They have both been doing great as far as being playful and growing. One of them has had bad diarrhea on and off and has thrown up once. I took them to the vet yesterday for a wellness check and the vet said both their stomachs were a little bloated and gave me worm treatment.
I have seen mixed reviews on the Purina One kitten food so yesterday I got them Wellness Kitten dry food and plan to slowly change over their food over the next week. I saw good reviews of this food.
Does anyone have good or bad experience with the Wellness kitten brand?
I also want to give them wet food mixed with the dry once a day. Please give me your opinions of a good wet food that isn't to expensive? Thanks

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
I just adopted 2 litter mates that are 3 months old from the humane society 10 days ago. Since I brought them home I have been feeding them Purina One Smart Blend Dry Kitten Food. They have both been doing great as far as being playful and growing. One of them has had bad diarrhea on and off and has thrown up once. I took them to the vet yesterday for a wellness check and the vet said both their stomachs were a little bloated and gave me worm treatment.
I have seen mixed reviews on the Purina One kitten food so yesterday I got them Wellness Kitten dry food and plan to slowly change over their food over the next week. I saw good reviews of this food.
Does anyone have good or bad experience with the Wellness kitten brand?
I also want to give them wet food mixed with the dry once a day. Please give me your opinions of a good wet food that isn't to expensive? Thanks
Stick to wet food it is much healthier

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

kcoston

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What brand canned food would you suggest that isn't to expensive?

lokhismom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I recommend feeding wet food only.    Any grain free wet would be better than dry.    The cheapest is probably the Fancy Feast Classic line.   Make sure its the 'classic' label since this is the one that is grain free.     I think Sheba has some flavors that are grain free.   Hopefully, someone here can confirm??

Both of these are available at Walmart or most supermarkets at a pretty cheap price. 

If you go to Petco or Petsmart they have many grain free brands to choose from.  Not sure what is in your price range.  I think something like 'Merrick' brand is cheaper than others.  It cost more than Fancy Feast classic or Sheba but less than other higher end brands. 

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
I recommend feeding wet food only.    Any grain free wet would be better than dry.    The cheapest is probably the Fancy Feast Classic line.   Make sure its the 'classic' label since this is the one that is grain free.     I think Sheba has some flavors that are grain free.   Hopefully, someone here can confirm??
Both of these are available at Walmart or most supermarkets at a pretty cheap price. 

If you go to Petco or Petsmart they have many grain free brands to choose from.  Not sure what is in your price range.  I think something like 'Merrick' brand is cheaper than others.  It cost more than Fancy Feast classic or Sheba but less than other higher end brands. 
I was going to suggest Merrick chicken and duck pate in 5.5 oz cans

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I think Sheba has some flavors that are grain free.   Hopefully, someone here can confirm??
Only the Sheba Premium Pate line is grain-free. Be careful - there are three different Sheba lines with identical looking labels and even varieties.

Nature's Variety Instinct is a good brand. You can find this at Petco and non-chain indpendent pet stores. The brand runs a little over $1 for a 3 oz can. There are 5.5 oz cans as well.

If your budget is limited or you have a limited access to pet stores, you can feed Fancy Feast and Friskies. Many supermarkets, even dollar stores, sell these brands.

helsic

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I give my kitten Friskies!! I tried Whiskas kitten when he was younger but I notice some gasses so since I switched to Friskies my kitten is really healthy and has no problems with his tummy.

kiara1125

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cats hate Fancy Feast, completely refuse to eat it. They also got extremely sick on Sheba, they were throwing up and having diarrhea constantly.

I also support Friskies. My cats do great onto it. They actually have a new line out that is Friskies Plus (pate, shreds, etc) and my cats love it, all 13 of them. lol I gave it to my rescued emaciated kitten (when I was giving him Purina Kitten Chow before) and the combination of the two made his coat shine and it's extremely soft. He is the one cat that I started out with wet food this young (it was actually him being emaciated that pushed me to do it) and I will continue with the wet food. I don't know about a pure wet food diet, but from me giving my kitten a can of wet cat food a day, he never had diarrhea and he hasn't thrown up yet for the 2 months that I've had him. He went from being all skin and bones to fat (not literally) and happy on under a month with the wet food.

Best of luck.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kcoston

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I give my kitten Friskies!! I tried Whiskas kitten when he was younger but I notice some gasses so since I switched to Friskies my kitten is really healthy and has no problems with his tummy.
Friskies canned food?

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats get a mix of Friskies, Grreat Choice (Petsmart brand), and Performatrin (Pet Valu brand - soy, grain, byproduct, fish-free). I tend to mix a few of the more affordable brands with one "splurge" brand that is healthier and often pricier. The other foods they eat aren't junk, but compared to other foods, they're certainly not top of the line. Even if I can include a teaspoon or so of higher quality food, it's better than nothing, and having as much wet food as I can afford is better than more dry. It can be quite the balancing act between the cats and your wallet.

For dry, they get a mix of Simply Nourish Source and Petcurean Go! Free + Fit Turkey, Chicken, and Duck, but only about 0.5 ounce total each day.

Last edited:

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats are eating 90 % wet  10% kibble 
They  eat Fancy Feast Classics Turkey & Giblets and  Ocean Whitefish & Tuna  ,  2 cans  each per  day .

For kibble  they get 1/8 cup per day  , Fromm 4 Star Grain Free ...

june lennon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am a BIG fan of a wet food/high protein diet ! I had a diabetic Maine Coon and that diet saved his life.

I have taken in one semi ferel and have now adopted a kitten that was abandoned at my vets office.

I am feeding Fancy Feast classic to the 1 year old and Royal Canine to the 6-8 week old.

My question: Suddenly the older isn't finishing her food in one sitting and the baby is more interested in play than eating. Is there real harm in leaving the wet food for them to finish at their leisure? I do NOT want to leave kibble out, despite what my vet suggests.

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I am a BIG fan of a wet food/high protein diet ! I had a diabetic Maine Coon and that diet saved his life.

I have taken in one semi ferel and have now adopted a kitten that was abandoned at my vets office.

I am feeding Fancy Feast classic to the 1 year old and Royal Canine to the 6-8 week old.

My question: Suddenly the older isn't finishing her food in one sitting and the baby is more interested in play than eating. Is there real harm in leaving the wet food for them to finish at their leisure? I do NOT want to leave kibble out, despite what my vet suggests.
It could be as simple as they are just bored with their food .  Can you rotate other brands so they have a variety ?  

I know that my cats are getting bored with just eating Fancy Feast Classics . I am trying to find another brand to add . If only I can find something they will eat ..

Freedom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I feed grain free, have done for years now.  For dry kibble I use Earthborn Holistics.  For canned, Soulistics at PetCo (it is their brand).  This comes both in gravy and in gel / gelee; I only by the gravy formulas.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I don't think there's any harm: I leave our cats' food out for hours... of course that's easy in Maine, where it's not often very hot. 
Some people feed their cats in timed feedings, leaving dishes for only a set time (a half hour per feeding, say) but that doesn't work for us.

Welcome, June!