What kind of coat does my kitten have?

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's cute! I agree that he looks like a ticked tabby, because he doesn't have a pattern on his body.

He is also some kind of blue tabby, because the darkest parts of his coat are gray, not black.

I think he is probably a blue ticked tabby (not silver), but he could be a blue silver ticked tabby. You can tell by parting his coat and looking at the base of each hair. A blue silver ticked tabby would have a white section at the base of each gray hair.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dario the GreyCat

Owned by Dario since 10/09/2019
Adult Cat
Purraise
He's cute! I agree that he looks like a ticked tabby, because he doesn't have a pattern on his body.

He is also some kind of blue tabby, because the darkest parts of his coat are gray, not black.

I think he is probably a blue ticked tabby (not silver), but he could be a blue silver ticked tabby. You can tell by parting his coat and looking at the base of each hair. A blue silver ticked tabby would have a white section at the base of each gray hair.
Oh cool! I had no idea what the difference between silver and blue was but what you said makes sense. His base hairs aren’t white so he’s a blue ticked tabby. Awesome! Thank you!
You always get the cutest get-ups for him, love the bow tie.
Thank you! That actually came from a lot on eBay. I have more things but those will show up as he gets bigger.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Genetically, cats are either shorthaired or longhaired; there is no gene for "medium hair." Longhaired cats have fluffy tails, and a variable amount of long hair on the body. The short hair on your cat's tail tells me that he is probably a short haired cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dario the GreyCat

Owned by Dario since 10/09/2019
Adult Cat
Purraise
Genetically, cats are either shorthaired or longhaired; there is no gene for "medium hair." Longhaired cats have fluffy tails, and a variable amount of long hair on the body. The short hair on your cat's tail tells me that he is probably a short haired cat.
Interesting, thank you!