What Kind Of Cat Is This?

MindlessCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
IMG_1806.JPG
IMG_1807.JPG
IMG_1808.JPG

So this is Shasta (yes named after Mount Shasta), she is a 3 year old Lynx Point Siamese(?). One of my friends has a Lynx Point Siamese and they look almost identical as far as the tips on their ears and overall body shape, but Shasta's markings are so much more defined, and her behavior is unlike any Siamese I have ever known. From what I have read and experienced most Siamese are supposed to be curious, affectionate, and playful, but Shasta is very timid and takes a long time to get used to strangers (she will literally hide in sock drawers if she hears a voice she doesn't know). I did some looking and I was thinking that she might be a Lynx Point Siamese mixed with some sort of Egyptian Mau maybe, I have a purebred Bengal as well and their patterns and behavior don't match much. If anyone has any insight as to what her breed is I would very much appreciate it!

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
She might have had some old-style Siamese in her ancestry. What's interesting is that her spotted markings are similar to those of an Ocicat. Ocicats were originally bred by crossing Abyssinian, Siamese, and American Shorthair. It's possible that a mating between an old-style Siamese with other cats (likely Domestic Shorthairs), could also produce spots. She herself would be a seal lynx point silver spotted tabby Domestic Shorthair.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
All Siamese are pointed, not all pointed are Siamese.

Yes, they have a Siamese somewhere in their ancestry because the gene comes from the original but how far back does make a difference. The typical Siamese traits don't always get passed that far down the line like the coloration gene does. I have two pointed cats, both able to be called Snowshoe by color. Link is a good portion Siamese though with the right body and personality to claim that. I tend to call him my Snowshoe. Rocket though is much further from any recent relation and has no physical features besides coloration and very few typical behavior aspects. I tend to call her a bicolor pointed.

All that said I agree with DSH lynx point silver tabby.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MindlessCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the replies, even though I've had Shasta for about 3 years I've never been able to quite find out what she is, we just found here one day, she isn't from a shelter or anything. And to answer your question Stefanz yes she does have blue eyes, the other thing that's always confused me is that her eyes and fur change slightly in the seasons (lighter in summer and darker in winter).

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
OK, so its just to agree with the analysis, ie a pointed domestic with said coloration and pattern.

The pics doenst show clearly the darker masque and ears and tail. The blue eyes do reveal. Without blue eyes there are still possibilites if the looks are of clearly a point - but it gets more complicated.

Some tabby points darken up much on the body, the tabby ("lynx") shows of on the whole body, unlike most other point colorations whom color up the masque and the pointed parts. The darkening up in winter (cold) and lighting up in sommer (warm) is typical for points - the last puzzlebit to prove.

Thanks for the replies, even though I've had Shasta for about 3 years I've never been able to quite find out what she is, we just found here one day, she isn't from a shelter or anything. And to answer your question Stefanz yes she does have blue eyes, the other thing that's always confused me is that her eyes and fur change slightly in the seasons (lighter in summer and darker in winter).

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The color change is fun with pointed. They are born pure white because it is warm in the womb and will get darker with age and exposure to cold. It's because the gene is a color reactive form of albinism (which also gives them blue eyes).

Link who is a Snowshoe Siamese shows the progressive darkness fairly well in these photos. We think he has some Burmese in there which is making him darken quicker then some.

6 months

1.5 year

3 years

I usually tell people he contours for a skinnier appearance because of the darker hips and lighter waist area...