What Killed Our Cat?

FriscoDave

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Unknown to us, our poor kitty was left outside last night in our fenced in back yard and killed. We know there are several bobcats in the area but the way she was found seemed a little odd.

WARNING DISTURBING CONTENT BELOW
Don't go any further if this gruesome description in detail will make you ill.

I found her this morning with her stomach completely ripped open with ALL of her internal organs gone. The rest of her body seemed to be in decent shape. All limbs were in tact and there was no signs of a "Struggle". The area around her was pristine. No fur missing on her and no blood or fur found anywhere in the back yard. She had some blood coming out of her ear and nose and her back appeared broken. Some of the skin was pulled away from her back legs but the flesh was not touched. Some skin was also pulled away from her ribs exposing the bones.

I have found several instances on the internet of this happening to cats with no clues or answers on what could have done this. If anyone has any clues, it would be greatly appreciated for some help trying to identify what could have done this.

Thank you in advance

David

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm so sorry about your kitty. What wildlife is common in the area you live? What comes to mind is a coyote - which can jump and/or scale fences. I doubt it would be anything like another cat, raccoon, or possum.

Where I live there has been a lot of forested areas taken down for new homes/apartments/etc. And, since that has begun to happen we are seeing coyotes in our neighborhood at night.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I thought about that too, but (pardon me, David) would a coyote eat so neatly? I guess I would have thought they'd carry the body off, but even if not, that one would consume most of the body.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I found these statements in an article about coyotes - does this sound like it applies?

"Coyotes typically bite larger animals directly behind the throat or jugular area. The victim may die of suffocation or shock. In smaller animals, the coyote will attack the head and neck area and may leave puncture wounds in the neck or throat. Coyotes do not commonly leave marks on the rest of the body."

"Coyotes start their meal by opening the abdominal cavity of the prey animal and eating the internal organs and muscle tissue. If the muscle tissue of your pet appears to have been ripped and the ribs or other bones appear to have been chewed on, then you are most likely looking at a coyote attack."

Here is the article link:
Signs That a Coyote Killed Your Pet

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FriscoDave

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I spoke with 2 game warden and both said the same thing. A coyote and bobcat will both eat the organs. A coyote will "pull and stretch" their prey making a big mess and not so neatly. They said Bobcats will usually just kill a house cat and not eat it unless it is starving and has no other food source. There are plenty of rabbits around here but who knows. Regardless, there would definitely be signs of a struggle. I have attached some paw prints that I found around the perimeter of our yard next to a quarter for scale.
20190515_112415.jpg
20190515_112343.jpg
20190515_112322.jpg
20190515_112517.jpg

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So sorry for your loss. That is so distressing to discover. My condolences.

Weasels eat their prey like that. Even though smaller, a weasel can kill rabbits. But the footprints look too large. Are there any other-than-weasel mustelids where you live?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a horrible experience!

Is it possible that she was hit by a car, made it to the yard before she collapsed/died, and then something ate her after death? Usually if eaten very soon after death, there's a lot of blood everywhere. And the blood in her ears and nose and the broken back sound like blunt-force injuries. If eaten after death, it could have been any animal regardless of size since it wouldn't have had to fight her. The prints look like a possum, and they're major scavengers but too timid to fight.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Im guessing it was an animal attack.

Since it happened just last night, if you want to possibly know, set out food and wait. If it was an animal, it might come back looking for food again.

You could dampen the ground around the food and then compare footprints.

Look for skid marks on the road in case it was a vehicle. Ask neighbors.

Im sorry this happened. I would be very upset.

Last edited:

FriscoDave

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for your condolences, support and knowledge. We have identified and came to the conclusion that a Coyote jumped over our back brick wall, attacked and killed her.

We found a deep large print

FriscoDave

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for your condolences, support and knowledge. We have identified and came to the conclusion that a Coyote jumped over our back brick wall, attacked and killed her.

We found a deep, large print where the coyote landed when it jumped over a 7 foot brick wall. We also found "skids" in the wet grass where a chase occurred as well as small tufts of fur that had blown into the corner of the yard.

We live in Frisco TX and if you google "Coyote Attacks Frisco TX" you can see what an issue it has become. I know that we (humans) are invading their space and have no harsh feeling toward the coyote simply for being a coyote and hunting for food. They were here first. I just wish it would have stuck with rabbits instead of our precious Blue Bell. Our twin 7 year olds were and still are devastated.

We will miss you sweet baby blue.

:bawling2::bawling2::bawling2::lovecat::bawling::bawling::bawling::bawling:

Pictures below of paw prints

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Unknown to us, our poor kitty was left outside last night in our fenced in back yard and killed. We know there are several bobcats in the area but the way she was found seemed a little odd.
WARNING DISTURBING CONTENT BELOW
Don't go any further if this gruesome description in detail will make you ill.
I found her this morning with her stomach completely ripped open with ALL of her internal organs gone. The rest of her body seemed to be in decent shape. All limbs were in tact and there was no signs of a "Struggle". The area around her was pristine. No fur missing on her and no blood or fur found anywhere in the back yard. She had some blood coming out of her ear and nose and her back appeared broken. Some of the skin was pulled away from her back legs but the flesh was not touched. Some skin was also pulled away from her ribs exposing the bones.

I have found several instances on the internet of this happening to cats with no clues or answers on what could have done this. If anyone has any clues, it would be greatly appreciated for some help trying to identify what could have done this.

Thank you in advance

David
I m so so sorry for ure cat n u.
:heartshape::redheartpump::grouphug::(