What Just Happened!?!?

peacesad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok. We’ve cared for 5 feral cats and they’re all about 4 years old. One a moment ago was on the floor. I lit a kerosene heater and he moved. Then, he about scared me to death by blood curdling scream and jumping out of his skin and hissed. He did it for like 3 or 4 seconds.

I can’t figure why. Is he in pain? I don’t think I stepped on him.

He then went and sat on a step and I let him outside.

We’ve not used vets and couldn’t get him to one anyway.

Has anyone experienced anything like this?

Attachments

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Possibly he smelled the kerosene and it freaked him out? Did he burn himself on the heater?
Ok. We’ve cared for 5 feral cats and they’re all about 4 years old. One a moment ago was on the floor. I lit a kerosene heater and he moved. Then, he about scared me to death by blood curdling scream and jumping out of his skin and hissed. He did it for like 3 or 4 seconds.

I can’t figure why. Is he in pain? I don’t think I stepped on him.

He then went and sat on a step and I let him outside.

We’ve not used vets and couldn’t get him to one anyway.

Has anyone experienced anything like this?[/QUOTE

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree that he got burned. Not like a 'burn', but you know how a heating pad on high feels good at first, and then you scream because it's way too hot against your skin?
I think he'll be alright in a bit.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

peacesad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I hope that it was only just a burn. I would hate to think he jolted out of his skin in pain or with something serious.

I also thought that maybe possibly his paw stepped on something sharp. I looked on the floor and I saw a little fingernail clipping. I just feel so bad. He’s a nice cat.

Thanks for the ideas.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I doubt that the fingernail clipping was a problem for him.

Did the heater make a hissing sound? That might do it for a cat; an unexpected hiss, when there's no other cat present. Think about it. Floppy used to try to protect me from evil soda pop bottles. ;)

Margret

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Did the heater make a hissing sound? That might do it for a cat; an unexpected hiss, when there's no other cat present. Think about it. Floppy used to try to protect me from evil soda pop bottles. ;)

Margret
That is very true, my cats are really calm and sweet and affectionate, as soon as I pick up a bottle of fizzy pop and put my hand on the cap, they all scarper - they hate that noise!

peacesad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Margret

peacesad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Probably right. It was just a little clip. It didn’t make much of a sound when the heater started. I had another thought. He has always been on guard as a feral. He was right next to a floor pot with fake flowers that stick out. Maybe he bumped it and freaked out thinking it was a predator.

I guess I may never know. I just feared he had some stabbing pain or even a neurological thing like a sezier.