What Is Your Favorite Rare Or Experimental Cat Breed?

Garak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When I was younger I raised several litters of Bicolored British Shorthairs. I have always had a thing for fancy cats. But now that I have a Highland Lynx I'm probably never going back.

My vote is for Highland Lynxes and Highlander cats. What's your favorite rare/exotic housecat breed?

[EDIT: I know I misspelled "rare" in the title. The edit option won't let me fix it.]

Attachments

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
G Garak - I've had a few cats over the last sixty years - five Seal Point Siamese, a Japanese Bobtail, a Khao Manee, a Maine Coon Cat, a Norwegian Forest Cat, two Persians, a Turkish Angora, a Turkish Van, a Snowshoe, an Egyptian Mau and an host of others. Every one is endowed with grace and beauty, and every one comes with their own endearing qualities, but the truth is that I like feral Domestics best of all. Cats born outside - with no Human interaction, with no home, and with no reason to hope for more than their next meal - are certainly among the most noble of all God's creatures.

They're as independent as the Snowshoe, but once you become their Friend, they're as loyal as the Forest Cat. Maybe it's the process that I enjoy - seeing a sad, frail and wary wild animal grow more and more trusting, with the painful slowness of learning a new language, until one day you can actually touch them, and they touch back in return.

Ferals are a joy in their own right. They're impossible at every turn, and will confound you mightily just at the moment that you believe that you have them figured out, but one day - sometimes years after your first meeting - it strikes them that the food is never going away, that you'll never hurt them, nor ever allow them to come to harm, and that your home is their home. If you're incredibly fortunate, you'll actually be paying attention at the moment that it happens - the moment that a feral ceases to be feral any longer, and just becomes a regular cat - and that moment is as close to a Miracle as I've ever personally been.

I enjoy all the breeds, and attended every cat show I could possibly manage for four decades, and their beauty is simply incredible. But once-feral Domestics have the Heart of a Marine, and they're a breed unto themselves.

Not the sort of answer you were looking for, I'm afraid, but an answer nonetheless.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My breed of choice is not rare or exotic - the Persian. In my numerous years of being owned by cats though I have come to realize that ALL are special and unique in their own way. It isn't necessarily the breed that makes them that way. While I love the long luxurious coat and the cobby body of the Persian, also love the graceful elegance of the Oriental breeds. I have also had my share of non pedigree cats and find them just as special - one springs to mind, named CB (Cuddlebug) and he lived up to his name! Again, probably not the answer you are looking for!