What Is Your Favorite Cat Litter And Why

Jojo&Tutu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am still looking into any nonclumping litter that is unscented. Is there anything other than cla that you like? Suggestions welcome.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can I ask why nonclumping? I find clumping litter to be so much easier, cost effective, and overall better for judging my cat’s urinary health.

I guess if I were to pick non-clumping though I would go with some kind of pine.

My real favourite litter is clumping grass litter though. It’s lightweight, barely any dust, eco-friendly, clumps well. Only negative is tracking but I have yet to find a litter that doesn’t track. Currently I’m using the petvalu brand Fresh4life and am happy with it.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm liking littermaid's corncob litter. It's not dusty and actually helps absorb the dust from clumping litter that I mix it with. I've heard litter made from corn, rather than from the cob, can have mold issues et al.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My favorite non clumping litter is Dr. Elseys Respiratory relief crystals, not the clay respiratory relief. It is very small grain all the cats like it, and there is no dust or smell. It is easy to use, and may be my favorite litter as well. Its the only crystal my cats will use, most are too big and i think hurt their feet.

Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat Respiratory Relief Silica Gel Cat Litter, 7.5-lb bag

I use this, and a grass based clumping litter. as well as littermaids walnut litter, i have not tried the corncob, but i know furballsmom like it. I like to provide options...lol

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jojo&Tutu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Has anyone tried yesterday's news?
The reason for nonclumping is less likely to have anything added to it. I don't want my kitty to lick it as she has IBD. And I think it might have less dust. I am scared crystals might hurt her feet.

FlawlessImperfection

Life isn’t perfect, and it’s lovely that way. ❤️
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We love Fresh Step crystals!! I am fastidious about clean floors and smell. I read litter reviews for weeks and bought and returned litter (like a weirdo) until I found one that actually did what is says on the bag. To save a bit of money I will sometimes by the Mimi crystals and put those on the bottom layer. They are really cheap, but I don’t like that you can see yellow when it’s used, where the other hides the color well. I sprinkle in a thin layer of this natural odor control (tiny natural zeolite pebbles)cheap, WAY better than baking soda for odor, and doesn’t track like baking soda either! I find the fresh step doesn’t track too much since the grains are bigger but round and not sharp, not much dust, and the odor control is GREAT, even for my super sensitive nose. NonScents Odor Control Cat Litter Deodorizer - Professional Strength Odor Neutralizer, 16oz Try it!

FlawlessImperfection

Life isn’t perfect, and it’s lovely that way. ❤️
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Also, Zero Odor is absolutely a must for any smells- it even DESTROYS PEE SMELL!!! It turns smells into water and oxygen, it’s amazing! It smells like a very light bleach and dissipates quickly. I am very sensitive to smells and this is a must have in our house!
Zero Odor ZOG 1025 General Household Basic Deodorizer Kit

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has anyone tried yesterday's news?
The reason for nonclumping is less likely to have anything added to it. I don't want my kitty to lick it as she has IBD. And I think it might have less dust. I am scared crystals might hurt her feet.
some crystals might. The Dr. Elseys respiratory relief is very small, like fine sand, and soft. my cats loved it the first time i put it down, and have used it about 2 years now.

i have tried the pellet litter, i found it hard to keep clean, but i didnt use it long. only after spay surgery, the cats were not fans of pellets.

the clumping grass litter has noting but grass starch, it might be a viable option for you. my cats all like it too. clumps well, no fragrance or additives. and very soft :)

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also thought that silica crystals were potentially life-threatening if digested? :dunno:

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
the clumping grass litter has noting but grass starch, it might be a viable option for you. my cats all like it too. clumps well, no fragrance or additives. and very soft :)
Can I ask which grass litter you're using? Is it Smartcat or a different brand?

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can I ask which grass litter you're using? Is it Smartcat or a different brand?
I started off with pioneer pet smart cat that i still sometimes get from chewy. Then our kroger grocery store started carrying Abound, i think its their store brand, but a few other stores carry it as well, you might find it in your area?. I like it just as well, maybe even a touch better, hard to tell. I have seen several new grass litters at pet smart and petco, but i have not tried them.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also thought that silica crystals were potentially life-threatening if digested? :dunno:
i don't think so, as with any litter if a cat eats a bunch of it i'm sure its not good for them. I have used this one for several years now, i don't find it sticks to the cats much, it doesn't track bad, not as bad as my grass litter. No smell and no dust, my cats really like it. You don't have to scoop much, just the poo, but i find if i don't scoop the pee i need to change it weekly, or at least i think i do, it still seems to work but starts taking a yellow tinge and that bugs me..lol ...... But i have a fine scoop, and if i am careful i can scoop the wet pee clumps without much trouble at all, just takes a bit of practice. i top this one up a bit to keep it a good inch to inch and 1/2 deep, then do a box change about every 2 weeks. I find this may be the cleanest, easiest litter to deal with. Its the fav with 3 of my 4 cats, the other boy really likes the grass litter.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only other litter i like, and currently use is Litter Maid walnut litter that i get from Walmart. It is a very fine grain, i was afraid it would track bad, but it does not. I was very surprised.

All it has in it is walnut, no fragrance or additives. The Cats like it as well as the crystals and the grass litter. It may cover poop smells better than the grass, but you do need to be a bit more careful with scooping. It doesn't fall apart any worse than clay litters, but may not clump quite as tight as grass litter. Does not break apart enough to bother me, i just scoop careful. I find it to be a very good litter.

I did see a new pellet paper litter at walmart this weekend, vibrant life? i think its a walmart brand, if your cats will use pellet litter it may be worth checking into?

Ishidee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have just discovered Vibrant Life Scented Lightweight Clumping Cat Litter and I, absolutely love it! It is so light weight and the individual grains of litter clump beautifully to liquid and solid waste, leaving no residue, and there is not any dust at all! The scent is barely noticeable and there is no smell from the urine or feces. This is the best litter that I have ever used and I am so pleased to have found it. You can purchase it at Walmart. Try it, I guarantee that you will be impressed and as pleased as I am!