What is your experience with Cerenia?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sillycat41

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for writing. Perhaps he could have been a bit dehydrated when I took him to the vet, but he gets 75 ml sub-Q twice a week and had it the day before the appt. He eats mostly commercial canned food... no dry... so probably gets some protein in that but not too much I don't think. The vet said Cerenia wouldn't harm the kidneys but Porus One is a new drug made in Germany and there is not a lot of info about it online. The vet agreed to switch him from Cerenia to Zofran and try that for a while. Also increased the sub-Q to 3 times a week.

Yes, I have been on Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline CKD but I always get overwhelmed because there is SO much info on there.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. You can’t stage kidney disease without knowing what the urine specific gravity is. That would be something to ask your vet about, for the staging. In all reality, it doesn’t matter what his stage is.
Treatment wise, ask your vet about increasing fluids to every day or every other day. It is important to check with your vet because to much fluids can lead to congestive heart failure and that is much worse.
Talk to your vet regarding the potassium level. Sometimes you have to supplement. Ask about a phosphate binder you can add to food.
Most important is tojudge the cat not the numbers. How is he feeling?

Sillycat41

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. You can’t stage kidney disease without knowing what the urine specific gravity is. That would be something to ask your vet about, for the staging. In all reality, it doesn’t matter what his stage is.
Treatment wise, ask your vet about increasing fluids to every day or every other day. It is important to check with your vet because to much fluids can lead to congestive heart failure and that is much worse.
Talk to your vet regarding the potassium level. Sometimes you have to supplement. Ask about a phosphate binder you can add to food.
Most important is to judge the cat not the numbers. How is he feeling?
Thanks for your comments silent meowlook. I just read about urine specific gravity today. Wish the vet had done that test too! Good point about too much fluid causing congestive heart failure. He's only 8.5#... a small cat... plus he's drinking a lot now. His potassium was in the normal range. but his phosphorus was a bit high. The vet didn't mention phosphate binders yet. Do you think that might help?

As for how he is feeling... he sleeps a lot, but he is 16 so that's normal. He doesn't really play any more either. His appetite is good in streaks... sometimes I have to coax him to eat for a few days, other days he lets me know when he's hungry... every 3 or 4 hours. I'm praying that he'll be around for a while longer. Lost his brother to CKD in May. :-( Take care now.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Urine specific gravity is typically one of the indicators included in a urinalysis, so you should have that data available to you if you have the urinalysis results. However, it is not the 'end all' to determining kidney issues, but one of factors to be taken under consideration.

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You probably want to look at lower phosphorus foods if you haven’t already. There is a list on the CRF site linked above. The lower the better. For a CKD cat you want the phosphorus around 4. Did your vet bring up kidney diets?

I doubt the Cerenia is a contributing factor. Many CKD cats take Cerenia for months or years.

Sillycat41

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay, thanks. I found a list and will try to get him on lower phosphate foods. He's always been a picky eater so it will be a challenge. The phosphorus blood test result was 6.3 and normal was listed as 2.6 - 6.0 obviously lower is better. The vet didn't really make any suggestions about changing his diet other than saying it was okay to give him chicken breast and turkey.

furrypurry

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am a little late to this thread and haven’t read all the posts, but just wanted to add that my cats both become extremely lethargic and totally disinterested in food when given Cerenia. I won’t give it to them again.

Sillycat41

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am a little late to this thread and haven’t read all the posts, but just wanted to add that my cats both become extremely lethargic and totally disinterested in food when given Cerenia. I won’t give it to them again.
Cerenia didn't agree with my cat either. We are going to try Zofran now. I'll post an update.

CaydensDad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Sillycat41

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry to hear about Cayden's reaction to Cerenia. I have also been giving my Jengo Cerenia... my vet also prescribed half of a 16 mg tablet... 8 mg. I'm always nervous about giving medications to my cats as they all react differently. I cut it back to 1/4 tablet so I could put it in a capsule since he foams at the mouth when I try to pill him. As I said above, we switched to Zofran for a while but it doesn't control the vomiting as well as Cerenia. Wish there was another alternative.