What is your experience with Cerenia?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ask the vet specifically about Zofran (ondansteron)? it doesn't work exactly the same way as Cerenia, but it would seem that a lot of folks use it instead of Cerenia. Although I think Zofran can be given with food, that may be true of Cerenia as well (I've forgotten).

Last edited:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I think a size 3 or 4 gel cap would work for half a Cerrenia Pill.. I get them from Amazon. I also use a pill gun and use a syringe full of water, as a chaser for the gel cap-- this is easier for me. With the current dose of Cerenia, which is an entire pill, I skip the gel cap.

There is another drug you can try: Zofran. It is a small pill. I am cutting it into quarters for my 12-13 lb cat. I just use a sliver of the pill, nestled in a tiny amount of wet food.

((hugs))

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would ask your vet about ondansetron (Zofran) instead of Cerenia. Cerenia seems to make a number of cats inappetant. Yours seems to be among that group. For gelatin capsules, the larger the number, the smaller the size. The smallest capsule is a size five. My Betty pills herself. She can do size 5's and 4's without issue. 3's were a bit more of a struggle. For her steroids, I pack those in a size four currently because that 3/4 pill (1/2 plus 1/4) plus a 1/4 ondansetron is an awkward fit in a size 5. Betty doesn't seem to mind.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you can get him to take the Cerenia, that would be best. The liquid Cerenia is disgusting!! I taste whatever meds I give my cats or any cats and the liquid Cerenia is only surpassed by the liquid Gabapentin in vileness.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sillycat41

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My Betty takes meds, two capsules, twice a day. She is such a pro with them using a modified version of the technique below. Ask your vet for a can of Hills A/D. This is supposed to be irresistible kitty crack to get sick cats eating again. It’s not a forever food to replace what he’s already eating. I only use it for meds these days. One can lasts me almost a week. I spoon out about a teaspoon from the can in the fridge, and place it on a small microwave safe tray. I nuke it for two seconds. Flip it. Two more seconds. I’m not trying to warm it up. I simply want to take the chill out of it. For how I use it, it actually works better colder than warmer. But not so cold that it makes Betty regurgitate. On another tray, I place her meds for that shift. I use a pill cutter even for tiny pills. It’s not an exact science. But they calculate the dosage for some “spillage.” At first, any meds I wanted to give Betty had to go into a size five capsule. I bought them in white from Amazon so that I could clearly see if she was licking the A/D off and flicking the capsule aside. It took awhile to teach her. Fortunately she liked A/D. And eventually she learned that she wasn’t getting her plate of food for that meal unless she ate her pills. Now she’s such a pro that I can stick meds into size fours (smaller numbers means larger capsules) and I don’t remember the last lick and flick. I actually dread when they give me a liquid medicine now. 🤦🏼‍♂️

Sillycat41

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
daftcat75 daftcat75 Thanks for the great tips! I've tried Hills K/D several times and Jengo won't eat it, but I haven't tried A/D... maybe it's more palatable. Will pick up a can at the vet's today. I always take the chill off the canned food too... to encourage him to eat it. Good point about buying white capsules so you can see them when they pop them out!! My problem is Jengo has to be coaxed to eat anything but I will give this a try. Thanks!

Sillycat41

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ask the vet specifically about Zofran (ondansteron)? it doesn't work exactly the same way as Cerenia, but it would seem that a lot of folks use it instead of Cerenia. Although I think Zofran can be given with food, that may be true of Cerenia as well (I've forgotten).
FeebysOwner FeebysOwner Thanks, I'll ask the vet about trying Zofran today.

Sillycat41

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think a size 3 or 4 gel cap would work for half a Cerrenia Pill.. I get them from Amazon. I also use a pill gun and use a syringe full of water, as a chaser for the gel cap-- this is easier for me. With the current dose of Cerenia, which is an entire pill, I skip the gel cap.

There is another drug you can try: Zofran. It is a small pill. I am cutting it into quarters for my 12-13 lb cat. I just use a sliver of the pill, nestled in a tiny amount of wet food.

((hugs))
Thanks artiemom. I always use a syringe to wash down pills too after reading that they can get stuck in the throat. Going to ask the vet about Zofran today.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
When I used cerenia for Nobel he's had the slow release shot, and then also we got capsules. I crushed them and put them in a Churu, which seems to be very addictive for cats for some reason.

I normally beg the vet to give a shot because he's impossible. This was the first time the cat specific vet gave him meds. They don't give more than the 24hr shots.

With my late cat I had good luck with chicken flavoured pills.

Sillycat41

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would ask your vet about ondansetron (Zofran) instead of Cerenia. Cerenia seems to make a number of cats inappetant. Yours seems to be among that group. For gelatin capsules, the larger the number, the smaller the size. The smallest capsule is a size five. My Betty pills herself. She can do size 5's and 4's without issue. 3's were a bit more of a struggle. For her steroids, I pack those in a size four currently because that 3/4 pill (1/2 plus 1/4) plus a 1/4 ondansetron is an awkward fit in a size 5. Betty doesn't seem to mind.
Thanks daftcat75. Jengo is down to 8.4# now and skinny. I'll try the smaller capsules for him. I hope the Zofran works better than Cerenia because he needs to be coaxed to eat.

Sillycat41

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you can get him to take the Cerenia, that would be best. The liquid Cerenia is disgusting!! I taste whatever meds I give my cats or any cats and the liquid Cerenia is only surpassed by the liquid Gabapentin in vileness.
S silent meowlook I have also tasted meds to see if they are bitter. Cerenia is awful! I can see why he hates it!

Sillycat41

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When I used cerenia for Nobel he's had the slow release shot, and then also we got capsules. I crushed them and put them in a Churu, which seems to be very addictive for cats for some reason.

I normally beg the vet to give a shot because he's impossible. This was the first time the cat specific vet gave him meds. They don't give more than the 24hr shots.

With my late cat I had good luck with chicken flavoured pills.
@ Alldara - I thought about asking the vet about Cerenia injections, but I hate poking him with needles. He gets sub-Q twice a week and hates it. Never heard of Churu... will look that up. Also never heard of chicken flavoured pills. Lots of good tip son this site!!! Thanks!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
@ Alldara - I thought about asking the vet about Cerenia injections, but I hate poking him with needles. He gets sub-Q twice a week and hates it. Never heard of Churu... will look that up. Also never heard of chicken flavoured pills. Lots of good tip son this site!!! Thanks!
🤞 You find what works for your home..

Nobel now takes his medicam directly from the syringe with me just sat in front of him. Jus to get his treat later. Churus are the best thing that happened to me. Others have said Catit, Squeeze Ups and Tiki Cat tubes work similarly for them but not for my cats.

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
🤞 You find what works for your home..

Nobel now takes his medicam directly from the syringe with me just sat in front of him. Jus to get his treat later. Churus are the best thing that happened to me. Others have said Catit, Squeeze Ups and Tiki Cat tubes work similarly for them but not for my cats.
Temptations Purées are another option. I have one cat that loves those and the other likes Churus. Picky!

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Regarding Cerenia injections. It stings and is expensive. You can give it with sub q fluids in the port of the line, so you don’t have to poke an additional time. It lasts 24 hours.

Sillycat41

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Devastating news at the vet yesterday. Jengo's kidney panel showed that the BUN and Creatinine levels were elevated since the last test 78 days ago. Four blood test results from May 2021, Oct. 2021, April 2022 and July 2022 only showed the BUN range fairly stable in the 30s and Creatinine from 1.8 to 2.8. He has been on sub-Q fluids for a year... 75ml twice a week, Cerenia for vomiting usually twice a week plus 2.5 mg Prednisolone cream daily in alternate ears. I started using Porus One 3 (a med made on Germany) months ago which is supposed to aid kidney function. Now I'm wondering what caused the sudden elevation since the numbers had seemed stable for a year. His BUN is now up t o 53.5 and Creatinine is 3.2 plus phosphorus is up to 6.3. I think that's stage 4 from what I could find online. :-( Did the Porus One or Cerenia make things worse??? Any comments on your experience are welcome. I'm very depressed as I thought for a year that the progression of CKD was slow. Thanks in advance. Barb

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I know there are other things that can affect both BUN and creatinine, things like dehydration, high protein food and very well many other things that I am not familiar with. I cannot imagine that Cerenia - or Porus One, for that matter - would actually cause elevations. But, if it would help quell your concerns, perhaps using another anti-nausea med as well as another toxin removal aid might be something for you to consider.

What does your vet say about the elevations? Have you used Tanya's web site as a reference? Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Everything You Need to Know to Help Your Cat (felinecrf.org)