What is Your Cat Obsessed With?

DownTheLane

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Luci loves her blanket. I bought it for myself as a nice solution for that in-between weather, but it's become her standard kneading spot. Besides that she's obsessed with kitten food (she refuses to eat anything else, so we usually just mix in a little with regular kibble). She's very vocal, so will start screaming as soon as I pick up the container. Lastly, she loves salty foods. It's not like I give her a whole lot, but if I'm eating crisps, she'll be on my lap begging. She'll steal it right out of my mouth! So I now give her the tiniest piece so she's occupied.

Pandora is obsessed with trash, especially receipts. She'll look at my mum with her kitten eyes as soon as she comes back from shopping. We usually crinkle it up in a ball and throw it, she'll play with it for a while. She also love braids, she'll try to grab them when she can. I can't safely let my hair hang of the backside of the chair anymore or she'll be on it. She also loves following people, she doesn't want me to leave the house without her. She'll start stalking me as soon as I put my shoes on. Sometimes I take her when visiting my grandpa, he lives 2 streets away in a very small village. She'll strut along with me happily, tail high up in the air.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Carleton's latest obsession is my fabric lunchbox. If I know I'm going to be gone all afternoon I will take a lunchbox of healthy snacks with me. He jumps on the table, licks it and obviously smells what's inside even though it's closed and he does not get people food.

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat has recently become obsessed with corn. Yes, corn.

Fresh corn on the cob is in season where I am right now and when I made myself some recently, she begged for a taste. Ok, that's par for the course. I usually let her try anything that's not going to hurt her, knowing she won't really like it. But to my surprise she loves corn.

Today, my cat was watching me fix lunch from on top of the kitchen cabinets. As soon as she saw me pull an unhusked corn cob out of the microwave, she lost her mind and scrambled down as fast as she could, as if it were a can of tuna. Strange little kittie.

minish

minish first..
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Minish is the same with corn and sometimes with potatoes.only when they are hot and smelly

ObeseChess

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I record a lot of music from home. Sassy ignores my computer chair unless I am sitting in it trying to record music, in which case she jumps into it and lays down behind me. She also loves being in the kitchen, even if I'm not cooking anything that would appeal to a cat, she's always hopeful.

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Juno is also obsessed with watching the dishwasher empty water through the sink drain. She has learned to recognize the sounds the dishwasher makes just before it happens and jumps up to the sink to watch. When the drain cover is not already in the dishwasher, I lift it up for her so she can see the water gurgling through the drain. It only happens twice in a cycle so she waits around the kitchen so she doesn't miss it.

ObeseChess

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thought of a few more - Sassy loves to sniff things. Sometimes she just goes outside and sticks her nose in the air for five minutes. She's like a dog in the way she follows scent trails and sniffs everything.

Also, drawers and other such mechanisms. If you open a drawer, she's there, peeking in it. "How does this work? Where does the stuff go?" If you open a closet door, she's there, peeking in it. "I thought that was a wall. What's behind it? Is there stuff behind other walls too?" I have a pull-out couch and every so often she starts sniffing and poking around the pull-out part, as if to say "where did the rest of that thing go?"

eternalgaze

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Her tail.... I thought only kittens do that! I have no idea how old she is, I've been told 3 (by the rescue) 5 (by the first vet who saw her) and between 7&10 (by the most recent vet who saw her). Anyone know how to tell how old a cat is?

I haven't had her very long and I don't know if its normal, but the very end of her tail twitches at times and then she tries to hold it down with her paw or will chase it in a circle. I noticed if I pet her for a while it happens, too, but sometimes it happens when we play or when she seems excited about something... The only other thing she's obsessed with after 5 months of living inside off the street with me is.... S L E E P I N G ... 💤💤💤

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Her tail.... I thought only kittens do that! I have no idea how old she is, I've been told 3 (by the rescue) 5 (by the first vet who saw her) and between 7&10 (by the most recent vet who saw her). Anyone know how to tell how old a cat is?

I haven't had her very long and I don't know if its normal, but the very end of her tail twitches at times and then she tries to hold it down with her paw or will chase it in a circle. I noticed if I pet her for a while it happens, too, but sometimes it happens when we play or when she seems excited about something... The only other thing she's obsessed with after 5 months of living inside off the street with me is.... S L E E P I N G ... 💤💤💤
Aging adult cats is often guesstimated by vets by looking at their teeth, eyes, and overall body condition. Our Baby Su went through a phase of chasing, catching and biting her tail. She also growled at it. Fortunately this was only a phase and she got over it. She was a mature adult at the time! Here is some good information on this matter: Feline Hyperesthesia – TheCatSite Articles

Heart For Cats

Cat Lover Forever
Alpha Cat
Purraise
For Lola, blankets. She loves making a little "nest" in my blankets and sleeping there all day. She constantly paws at them like she wants to go under them. She is also obsessed with my laptop. If I'm on it, she stares at the screen (which she's doing as I type this). Sometimes she'll combine these two obsessions and be nestled down in the blankets watching my laptop screen.

What is your cat obsessed with?
Great topic! I used to have a cat who pawed at the mouse arrow on my computer screen. It was her idea. I went along with it and moved the cursor as a game.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, putting catnip toys in a plastic bag that seals is a good way to freshen them. Catnip spray helps, too, and we love the refillable toys with velcro closures! CatClaws.com has a lot of good ones, plus organic catnip.
Our beloved angel Calo used to love being vacuumed with the hose attachment with the soft brush on it! He'd roll on his back to get his belly vacuumed.
And our beloved angel Tarifa used to eye the cursor but she never actually pawed it.

Heart For Cats

Cat Lover Forever
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Kong catnip spray works to refresh them. I’m soaking their plush catnip toy in the catnip spray in a ziplock bag for a couple of weeks. That spray works great to refresh kickeroo toys!
I can't remember which brand it is, but the only time I tried catnip spray, it had little to no effect. I decided only the real thing works even if the cat is obsessed with it. What is different about Kong catnip spray?

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t know but my mom’s 4 cats & my 1 cat all love it! Maybe they put silvervine in it? They love the catnip that has silvervine in it! (I order it off Chewy.) I have tried another catnip spray but the kong one is the one they love!
8845C1CC-1D86-42E9-B66C-395E2717A7CB.jpeg

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mingo is absolutely obsessed with catnip, and doesn't want just to smell it - he wants to eat it! I got some fresh dried catnip today from PetMeds with his Revolution, and he totally freaked out. He would eat the whole packet if I let him. If I refresh a toy with it, he will tear infinitely at it to get at the real thing.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Heart For Cats Heart For Cats I buy the Petlinks catnip spray from Petco.com and spray it on the upright cat scratchers -- they love it! I also have pure silvervine and catnip/silvervine blend. Very much loved!
DreamerRose DreamerRose There have been some catnip munchers in this furmily, too -- the dried leaves and flowers are nice, but the fresh is best. I was growing a pot on my front verandah and in no time it was down to a nub. It had also been lain in.:dizzycat: