What is wrong with my kitten?

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

zombiekittie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
yeah i was trying to give my vet the benefit of the doubt. but we haven't been with them long and they aren't invested and you can tell. the vet we are seeing tomorrow called our old vet and asked them to fax over the paperwork

his breathing seems ok. actually that's one thing she did say when we had our "emergency checkup" she said he was breathing fine. the fluid built up in the lower part of his stomach.

i'm going back and forth on the worms... I've been checking and i haven't seen any more. maybe what i did find what i thought? Idk... cuz what else could it have been.. ? but just in case, I'll ask the vet to do a fecal test or something tomorrow while we're there.

zombiekittie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi..

so just wanted to say what happened at the vet today. i really liked the vet we saw. she was very personable and didn't rush anything. she seemed genuinely concerned. and even though we have bad news to report, i feel better following her advice.

she went over the records from the other vet with us and did her own exam. she did the ultrasound hopeful it would be something simple with the liver or something. but basically she said she found what was probably the worst case scenario at this point. she drained his tummy to get a better read on the ultrasound and make him more comfortable (and he feels so much lighter and perkier.. probably doesn't hurt to breath..) she said he has a possible intussesception. and she said that thats caused by irritation on the intestines or something (might be saying it wrong) which could be caused by FIP. so... he could have FIP AND intussesception on top of it. or just intussesception which really isn't any better... his stomach was so big because the intestines fold over... making the correct passage too small and the food gets caught in the folds.. so his belly gets huge. this is the best picture i could find of what she explained. she said sometimes (and i know i wont explain it right), in a very rare percent.. the folds will break off and heal at the right spots and the cat will poop it out the folded part. but they have to break at the same time or something in order for them to heal right... idk. i can't explain things.

but. i just wanted to update in case anyone else has or might have a cat with Moose's symptoms and don't know what to look for... I hope this helps someone.

and if you live in the Ventura area, i recommend Buena animal hospital .. idk about the other doctors. we saw Nicci Quinn.

natlay

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitty Cookie had an intussusception last August. She had some of the same symptoms as your cat with vomiting but no swollen belly and nothing visible on an x-ray...not even after being force-fed barium. They finally found it when they did exploratory surgery after she had been sick for six days and they couldn't find anything. The vet was able to cut out the bad part and sew her intestines together but by that time the rest of her intestines were so inflamed that she died shortly after surgery. I hope that your Moose does better than my baby. Love his name by the way

zombiekittie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
we had to put him to sleep.

to stabilize him would be $3,000 and to do the surgery would be $3-5,000. even if we could wait to see a regular vet and not an emergency one, it would be around $5,000. they said there was a slim chance he would even survive surgery and they said they might not even be able to stabilize him because he was so anemic. yesterday he was fine. and even if we did stabilize him enough to do the surgery, he might still have FIP and die in a week or so anyways.. and we wouldn't know the results till Thursday. he wasn't comfortable. i know he was suffering. we had a vet come to our home and put him to sleep. don't go to ......... they are jerks.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so very sorry, Zombiekittie. This is a harsh thing to go through; all my thoughts and prayers are with you and your hubby. <<<<hugs>>>>

AC

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My heart just hurts for you. I am so sorry you're having to go through this. You loved him so well and made the most loving, though difficult, decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.