what is wrong with my cat?

callie37

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can't figure out why my cats behavior has suddenly changed towards me
We used to sit on the couch a lot and he would let me pet him because he loved the attention since he was recently a stray we took in last year
Now suddenly here lately he's been growling at me not wanting me to touch him and flinching when I try petting him at first he even runs from me now
Ive not been hitting him so I can't think of why this strange sudden behavior he's an indoor\outdoor cat and he has been staying out more then usual ever since we took in a female cat in a few months ago but I don't think that would cause him to behave the way he is to me all of the sudden

Any ideas of what might be causing this behavior or how I could fix it

Last edited:

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's possible he may be sick or injured and is feeling sensitive or sore - especially if he goes outside often and is out of your supervision where he may have been attacked or picked on by other animals. The first thing to do in addressing behavioural changes is to have him checked at the vet to rule out medical issues.

Last edited:

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would think a vet visit is in order.  Also is he neutered?  That could be a cause of his behavior issues too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

callie37

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well he's not fixed that's one of the reasons why I wasent able to make him a total inside cat after we met ... our landlord said before we had moved in here that he had been a stray just roaming around the neighborhood for years it took me almost 3 months before I was able to get him to trust me
I know he has a lump in his stomach I assume its cancer he's had before we took him in I'm careful not to touch it and he is an older tabby

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

callie37

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Possible I do hear cats fighting a lot outside that roam in our area and I can only imagine how many he's fighting with at night when he's gone
For weeks at a time because he is still technically a stray he just knows where to come if he gets hungrey and wants to get out of the cold/rainy weather
Or for whatever reason he's always welcome

anne with cats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you ever taken him to a vet?  He's getting too old to be out and about fending off the other males. He really does need to be fixed.

It could be cancer, it could be an old wound. Aren't you a little bit curious? A vet visit would answer your questions. A male cat will far more want another female cat's love than yours if he isn't fixed.

Last edited by a moderator:

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You need to get him to a vet.  The lump you are feeling could simply be from a wound.  He may be in pain.  Please get him a vet, get him checked over and get him neutered.  By allowing him to roam free, his hormones are ruling his life.  He wanders far and wide in search of a mate.  He has not control over this.  You can help him by getting him neutered and checked by a vet. 

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Possibly he's in pain. He needs to see a vet. The lump may be a blockage and not cancer, hopefully.

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please don't just assume it's cancer and be resigned with it. This sounds very painful for him.

Neutering him would make it easier to transition him to being 100% indoor. He's probably sniffing out other cats that make him want to go outside and find them, and if they're unspayed females, he's probably getting them pregnant too. When intact cats interact, especially with kitten season coming into full swing, they'll fight each other for territory and for females. He could have unhealed wounds you can't even see or feel. If the lump is relatively new, abscesses are very common in fighting toms, and these cats usually end up with some pretty deep wounds. If he seems unwell in any way, stop letting him outside no matter how badly he wants to get out there.

Regardless of age or how he's acting otherwise, what you've told us requires a vet visit as soon as possible.

Last edited:

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Echoing other's advice to get him to a vet ASAP. What you described is symptomatic of some sort of injury or illness. Get him fixed too while he's there.

Last edited:

puddykat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A few things that come to mind here

!. Like you say he is a stray and he comes for food but he may also know you want to help him. 

2. You bought in another cat and he now feels left out and that is why he maybe staying out more often

3. He has always been an outside cat probably, one of my dogs was like that, even in very cold weather he wanted to stay in his dog house which was well insulated but when it was very hot outside he would come inside the house

4. If you have the time and funds take him to the vet.

detmut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
New Orleans area (Metairie), Louisiana, United Sta