What is this?

janangqt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone, my kitten have this weird black patch on her head. And I tried putting coconut oil in it but it seems like she's allergic to it. She won't stop grooming herself and scratching that patch. Do you know what's that and what should I do with it? ( Sorry English Is not my first language)

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site! Your kitty looks ill and I can see both third eyelids showing. She probably needs to see a vet as it looks raw, almost like an abscess. Has she been in any fights, contact with other cats?

noani

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When did you first notice it? Did it appear gradually?
It could be different things, like fionasmom said an abscess, it could be an infection due to injury, other reasons. It looks sore and uncomfortable and she should get to the vet if possible. If she continues scratching that's only going to be more of a risk.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

janangqt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site! Your kitty looks ill and I can see both third eyelids showing. She probably needs to see a vet as it looks raw, almost like an abscess. Has she been in any fights, contact with other cats?
She's a stray kitten that I adopted last week. Our place is in strict lockdown, so I am not able to go out.

janangqt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When did you first notice it? Did it appear gradually?
It could be different things, like fionasmom said an abscess, it could be an infection due to injury, other reasons. It looks sore and uncomfortable and she should get to the vet if possible. If she continues scratching that's only going to be more of a risk.
Yesterday, it bleeds a little because she's been scratching it always. She already has it last week, when I first adopted her.

noani

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Could you reach out to a vet and see if they could consult with you over the phone/if you send them a picture and give you some advice?

janangqt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Could you reach out to a vet and see if they could consult with you over the phone/if you send them a picture and give you some advice?
I already did messaged them, there's still no reply. Thanks for your answers everyone

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know where you live and how strict your lockdown rules are, but when we were in a total lockdown over here, last year, we were allowed out in case of an emergency, and pets care was deemed an emergency, so going to the vet wasn't considered an illegal thing.
Check with your local police about this possibility.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
If you can get plain camomile tea bags and make an infusion to dab on the spot, it might help the itching. It has to be only camomile tea though, no additives at all. I don't know if you can get out to do that. However, I have to add that this is not even close to a solution to the problem and I agree that you should check to see what the lockdown rules are and if vet care is excluded.