What is this? :/

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Sure doesn't look like poop to me - does it smell like poop? Was it already broken apart, or did you break it apart? Tbh, it looks like some sort of cat treat - any chance that is what it is?? I know nothing about that kind of litter, but I can't imagine it is a 'preservative' tablet, especially if you've never seen anything in the litter before. How does it compare to the 'normal' pieces of the litter? You could search on the company's web site for complaints/issues and see if anything show up there? Hopefully, some other members will come along with some ideas?!?!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ModernCatLady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. Sure doesn't look like poop to me - does it smell like poop? Was it already broken apart, or did you break it apart? Tbh, it looks like some sort of cat treat - any chance that is what it is?? I know nothing about that kind of litter, but I can't imagine it is a 'preservative' tablet, especially if you've never seen anything in the litter before. How does it compare to the 'normal' pieces of the litter? You could search on the company's web site for complaints/issues and see if anything show up there? Hopefully, some other members will come along with some ideas?!?!
It was whole and I cut it in half. It has a strong smell wouldnt say poop though. Yeah I've looked through sites no complaints.Not a cat treat as I only give pure bites chicken freeze dried. Would it be silly to send a photo to the vet lol. It is rock hard I can hit it against the wall not roughly and wont break apart.

Last edited:

ModernCatLady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It does not look like poop; but, if you look closely— enlarge the image— you can see fur in there.

So a weird poop-furball.....
I didnt even see that! So should I be concerned if its poop?

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely came from a machine of some sort. Probably animal feed of some kind looks like possibly cattle or horse supplements Wouldn't surprise me if it fell in the vat of litter at the factory. Not sure of the brand special kitty but it sounds like a house brand or lower price one. Both cases quality control can be a bit lax.

Vilali

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I guess you could actually take it into the vet's office and ask them to 'test' it??? I don't think the vet will know what to make of it with a photo...
As a veterinary technician, you'd be surprised how many photos of feces we receive via email. Our number one suggestion is always to bring a sample in to perform a fecal on.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you recently switch to a raw diet? This looks like it could be poop on a raw diet. Although, you said it smells, which dry poop like this usually doesn’t.

ModernCatLady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Did you recently switch to a raw diet? This looks like it could be poop on a raw diet. Although, you said it smells, which dry poop like this usually doesn’t.
Nope still on the same food. I've actually called a new vet and have an appointment next friday for the first visit. They have already asked my current vet to send them my cats files. Now I'm too embaressed to go to my current vet since they know I've switched to a new vet. The new vet hasnt even met my cat therefore now I'm not sure where to go to get the fecal sample :/

ModernCatLady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Also he had 3 poops yesterday all normal. However is 3 times a day excessive? No other dried poop like this one. I'm going to see today if I find it again. So odd!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Nope still on the same food. I've actually called a new vet and have an appointment next friday for the first visit. They have already asked my current vet to send them my cats files. Now I'm too embaressed to go to my current vet since they know I've switched to a new vet. The new vet hasnt even met my cat therefore now I'm not sure where to go to get the fecal sample :/
I have seen this happen before with vets - not sure I think they should contact another vet without your approval, but in all honesty if they are both good vets, it really shouldn't matter. If you want, take the fecal sample to your 'current' vet. You have nothing to be embarrassed about.
Also he had 3 poops yesterday all normal. However is 3 times a day excessive? No other dried poop like this one. I'm going to see today if I find it again. So odd!
3 poops is only excessive if he never goes that much/often. All kinds of things can affect the frequency - such as the obvious, like he ate more than usual, or had a different food. If they were normal, probably nothing to worry about.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Depends on what he's eating and the individual cat. It the poops are healthy I wouldn't worry too much.

ModernCatLady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you all so much. I just found out today that a member of my family bought a brand called science hills diet dry food for dental and has been giving him 2 cups a day. I had no idea as I dont like to give dry food. Therefore I'm thinking that may be the culprit. I was very upset but will be giving the bag to a friend who wants it.

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It looks to me like an extremely dry, constipation type of turd considering all the hair. I'd switch to wet food and stop dry treats/food all together paired with brushing more often to curb the hairy poop before it poses a health problem. Also add additional water to wet food. Prevention is the best medicine. Specter had the same issues on dry and semi dry and then on even just dry treats, and giving just wet; adding additional water, and brushing twice a day has eliminated the problem before a vet ever had to step in, thus avoiding a lot of bills and stress. (stress and specter do not mix! traveling with my little snowy demon is a last resort.)

ModernCatLady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It looks to me like an extremely dry, constipation type of turd considering all the hair. I'd switch to wet food and stop dry treats/food all together paired with brushing more often to curb the hairy poop before it poses a health problem. Also add additional water to wet food. Prevention is the best medicine. Specter had the same issues on dry and semi dry and then on even just dry treats, and giving just wet; adding additional water, and brushing twice a day has eliminated the problem before a vet ever had to step in, thus avoiding a lot of bills and stress. (stress and specter do not mix! traveling with my little snowy demon is a last resort.)
Thank you for your reply. That makes sense. As I found out someone has been giving him dry food. I have not started brushing his teeth hes only 9 months old. As for treats is it okay to give him pure bites freeze dried chicken and turkey breast? Or should I just not give him any treats? I'll start adding water to his food.

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your reply. That makes sense. As I found out someone has been giving him dry food. I have not started brushing his teeth hes only 9 months old. As for treats is it okay to give him pure bites freeze dried chicken and turkey breast? Or should I just not give him any treats?
I'm not sure of them or familiar with freeze dried so I'm not sure... Personally for a treat I think it's the best to just buy some chicken legs, boil them, and use that meat as a treat, or turkey or so on. A lot cheaper and more quality.. for specter tho she will just take a nibble of her normal canned from the fridge as a treat.. :lol:
But if I understand the freeze dried thing, you add water to re-hydrate it right? So as long as the treat isn't dry, I think it's alright!
As far as teeth, it wouldn't hurt to start brushing them on occasion but I was meaning his fur. Just a daily brush as from looking at the poop, it doesn't look like it's moving through as well as it should be, so getting some out for him to stop it from getting in his poo like that would help imo