What is this?

SiameseSong

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So my kitty has a traditional siamese build markings. Shes about 4.5 5 months old. Both of her parents as far as I know were non siamese looking domestic short hair cats.

She has a really interesting facial and body structure so maybe there was siamese genetics in the line of domestic cats she came from.

I noticed lately her white areas when she walks actually has very subtle shadows of stripes down the body and spots slowly darkening and becoming more obvious around the hind legs on her sides. Her legs tail and back has stripes also.

What is her coat? Is there a name for all her hidden stripes and spots. Is she a seal point or a very dark different form of tabby?

Her litter mates that I saw were black cats if that helps?

Attachments

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's a lovely girl! I would describe her as a blue point domestic shorthair.

The colorpoint gene is recessive, so we know that both of your girl's parents carried colorpoint, even though they weren't pointed cats. It's normal for colorpoint cats to have faint ghost tabby markings like her, especially as kittens. Colorpoint cats tend to darken as they mature.

The colorpoint gene originally came from the Siamese breed about 70 years ago. Because it wasn't very common to spay and neuter pet cats at that time, the colorpoint gene became widespread in the domestic cat gene pool. At this time, many cat generations have passed, and pointed coloration no longer indicates recent Siamese ancestry or a close relationship to the Siamese breed. Most cats are not any particular breed.

GreyLady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She is so cute!!! If she had more tabby markings on her face and dark parts I would say Lynx. Alot of "solid" and pointed cats have shadow tabby markings too.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she had more tabby markings on her face and dark parts I would say Lynx. Alot of "solid" and pointed cats have shadow tabby markings too.
I agree, if she were a lynx point (tabby point), she would have much more definite tabby markings and she would also have a lighter colored face, so she doesn't appear to be a lynx point.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SiameseSong

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thankyou everyone for your help and information! Her name is song. Which is thai for 2 because she is literally a younger identical copy of my older cat.