What is this sound?

tsukiyomi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So one of my cats Vincent started making a weird sound yesterday I've never heard anything like it before so I'm hoping maybe someone will know what it is. I did contact my Vet and they weren't too concerned but said to monitor him and he hasn't made it since but still it bugs me.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like a warning/growling to me. It’s not always low timbre.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is definitely a distress/pain cry. I would get him checked out. When he makes that sound, do not approach him or let other cats approach him either, he is warning them to stay away. I have a cat that makes that sound when he is getting ready to throw up. Have you changed food lately? He may be just a little sick, so monitor his drinking/eating/litter box habits and if those are fine and he doesn't start hiding it may be a passing thing, but watch him and bring him in if he starts hiding or quits eating.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tsukiyomi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the responses I'm exhausted right now due to a lack of sleep but I took him earlier this evening and I'll go into what was up tomorrow when I have more energy and don't feel like I'm going to pass out on my keyboard.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tsukiyomi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So here's the story...

Back on September 10/26 I took him in to have his teeth cleaned and my vet found that his gums had an infection and really bad inflammation to the back of his throat. I was given Baytril and Prednisolone this was for ten days followed by ten more days of Prednisolone to wean him off it. At the time it was believed that he was doing better when he was checked. I gave that as prescribed as well. All of this was on 11/4. Than on

I called my vet the day he made that noise and it wasn't real clear what it was but they thought he was ok. I E-Mailed her Sunday night with a detailed list of what was going on (the behavior that was normal as well as anything that seemed off). I made the appointment Monday morning and was called again a few hours later and they wanted to put him under after thinking about it to check his throat (due to the previous inflammation). It was found that it was still pretty and he was prescribed a twenty day dose of Marbofloxacin. So hopefully that will clear it up this time.

Suffice to say he was very hissy after leaving the vet but he calmed down after a few hours. Funny part of this was that he went from hissing and swatting at everyone in his carrier at the vet to meowing his head off in the car to hissing once he was home.

TLDR; His previous antibiotics failed to cure the inflammation in his throat and he's on new ones.