WHAT is this GROWTH on his lip!?

amandalynnxo92

The Cat Hoarder
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

I just got home from work and noticed this pink/red almost jelly like growth on my cats bottom lip. I hadn't noticed it at all until today. I did some googling and google says it could be an "indolent ulcer" which I have never heard of in my life (I've owned cats for 20 years). Now it mentions indolent ulcers can be caused by a number of things, two of which peaked my curiosity. Hypersensitivity and food intolerance. I've always noticed he has hyper sensitive skin, because when we pet his spine, his skin will twitch. And I've just recently (within the last few days) changed him and his brother over to adult Purina indoor cat (they were on the kitten one prior). Could these be reasons, if it's an indolent ulcer?

Is this serious? Is it a tumor? Obviously I'm going to take him into the vet to be examined properly but it's nearly 1 am right now and I just need SOME kind of reassurance or answers.

He is 1 years old, neutered, about 12-15 pounds (chonky I know) no fleas and he's strictly an indoor cat.

Attachments

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:alright: They can send us off into worry ,can’t they? Food sensitivities are something we hear about here constantly and I have a couple of kitties here that are hypersensitive to foods AND to certain litters. While I can’t really tell you that your kitty is sensitive to the new food, it certainly is a possibility. There are many things that can cause mouth irritations. Any chance he just smacked it during play? Bit it when he chomped down on something? Obviously things like this always need to be checked by the vet but cats often do take a swat to the chin from another kitty or even from slightly missing a jump so, seeing a new bit of facial swelling could mean many things. Is kitty eating, drinking, going potty, breathing okay and generally seeming to feel alright? If so, then do what you can to hold off on the stress for yourself until the vet can reassure you. I know that is more easily said that done but you are keeping an eye on him and will be taking him to get it checked. With any luck, maybe it’s no more than a small bit of temporary swelling from a bump. Please do keep us updated on you AND kitty. I hope all is well quickly.

Madeline06

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One of my cats had something similar - I got told it could be a rodent ulcer by a vet nurse friend of mine, and that it can be treated with steroids. So I took my cat to the vets but the vet said it wasn’t severe enough to treat. We just changed our plastic bowls to ceramic and it went away on its own quite quickly luckily. If yours use plastic bowls it could be from that?

Hi all,

I just got home from work and noticed this pink/red almost jelly like growth on my cats bottom lip. I hadn't noticed it at all until today. I did some googling and google says it could be an "indolent ulcer" which I have never heard of in my life (I've owned cats for 20 years). Now it mentions indolent ulcers can be caused by a number of things, two of which peaked my curiosity. Hypersensitivity and food intolerance. I've always noticed he has hyper sensitive skin, because when we pet his spine, his skin will twitch. And I've just recently (within the last few days) changed him and his brother over to adult Purina indoor cat (they were on the kitten one prior). Could these be reasons, if it's an indolent ulcer?

Is this serious? Is it a tumor? Obviously I'm going to take him into the vet to be examined properly but it's nearly 1 am right now and I just need SOME kind of reassurance or answers.

He is 1 years old, neutered, about 12-15 pounds (chonky I know) no fleas and he's strictly an indoor cat.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Growths like this can be from so many causes, many of which are routine and ultimately harmless, and frontloading is not going to help. While I only have your pic to look at, this does not seem to be what I would call a growth from my experience with cancerous lesions which included melanoma in my GSD. If it is a rodent ulcer, they are very treatable, require upkeep and monitoring as they can recur, but the prognosis is very good.