What Is This Bump Near Violette's Whiskers?

toulousekitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I noticed that Violette has had this dark/black raised bump above her upper lip for the past 2-3 days. When she allowed me to inspect it it looks like the hair is growing through the bump. It feels almost like a thick scab but I never saw any wound before the bump appeared. At first I thought it was just a flea from far away, but realized that it wasn't moving and is triple the size of a flea. She did once have a hard bump on the middle of her forehead for a few weeks but it was under the skin and disappeared. Anyone know what this is?
IMG_6896.JPG
IMG_6897.JPG

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
no idea. At first (until I saw the pix) I thought maybe Feline Acne, but I don't really think so. If you really think it's a scab,then I guess you could wait and see if it falls off as scabs will do. But if it worries you,than you can always double check with your Vet.

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just in case it could be feline acne: are you using any plastic to feed kitty? If so replace all plastic with metal, glass or people safe ceramic (i say this just for the ceramic that might be lead cured usually from Mexico or vintage). Feel the chin for bumps that's usually the primary place.

cleothecat123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I was wondering if you ever found out what this was? My cat has the exact same thing on her face.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, I was wondering if you ever found out what this was? My cat has the exact same thing on her face.
It doesn't seem as if toulousekitty toulousekitty has been on this site since mid-November, but maybe they will get a prompt about your post and respond.

However, you might want to start your own thread about your kitty, and if you have a pic that would be helpful.

alleycat1212

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Did you ever find out what this was? My kitty has the exact same thing and I can't get him to the vet for another week and a half. I'm getting worried that it's something serious and should try to get him in sooner

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Did you ever find out what this was? My kitty has the exact same thing and I can't get him to the vet for another week and a half. I'm getting worried that it's something serious and should try to get him in sooner
I would touch it after washing your hands And of course wash after. Cat acne feels like a hard blackhead. Sometimes using a tissue you can loosen it so it comes off. On the chin stridex is used by some with cat acne. on that note even acne can become infected. a friend has a male prone to chin acne. The vet would shave his chin and clean all the acne out. It looked really funny but was necessary.

riverandrowan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Did you find out? I've seen a few posts with people talking about it, but absolutely none of them return with the answer.

riverandrowan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I noticed that Violette has had this dark/black raised bump above her upper lip for the past 2-3 days. When she allowed me to inspect it it looks like the hair is growing through the bump. It feels almost like a thick scab but I never saw any wound before the bump appeared. At first I thought it was just a flea from far away, but realized that it wasn't moving and is triple the size of a flea. She did once have a hard bump on the middle of her forehead for a few weeks but it was under the skin and disappeared. Anyone know what this is?View attachment 189533View attachment 189534
Did you find out what it was?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Some members do not stay on TCS for very long and many who post a question don't come back to give a resolution, so I get your frustration.

In the other thread, yy612 did have a solution for their cat which was the vet gave them a medication as it seemed to be a bacteria/fungus/yeast. From the pic in that thread, I agree although I am not a vet. It did not look like chin acne to me but looked mostly fungal (from the pic). If your cat has a bump which is similar to the pic, I would call the vet. This is probably not an emergency, but if it is anything that could spread or become more difficult to deal with you could take care of it now. If it falls off on its own, watch the spot to see if it heals completely. Sometimes the fact that the scab falls off does not mean that the source of the bump is gone.