Welcome to The Cat Site
your cat community
Interact with our community

What Is The Worst Job You Have Ever Had?

Discussion in 'The Cat Lounge' started by Reecejackox, Mar 7, 2019.

1. Mia6

Mia6 Mother of two Top Cat

Jan 22, 2017
    Ohio, USA
    Oh my, that sounds horrible and so exhausting. Much worse than my worst jobs.

2. Mother Dragon

Mother Dragon Cat slave Top Cat

Oct 17, 2006
    Suburban Houston, TX
    I spent one day being a psychological test subject for a group. I was given random shocks of varying intensities for hours. Then they only paid me half what they were supposed to.

The second was a gum sampler. I passed out samples of Teaberry gum. People either wanted the whole batch of samples, or they treated me as if I were giving out poison. Mothers actually yanked their kids away from me.

I also tested some products. The absolute worst was a canned sausage similar to Vienna sausage. We were to take it home, heat it, and evaluate it. When it came time to report our experiences, I spoke up and said it was so awful even the dog wouldn't eat it. It was true, too. That dog would eat almost anything, but she took one sniff and walked away. When pierced, huge gobs of greasy fat popped out. And that was the best part of it. It looked and tasted like gray excrement. As far as I know, it never made it into production. At least I hope not.

Mia6 purraised this.

3. Mia6

Jan 22, 2017
    Ohio, USA
    Oh my, that sounds disgusting. The huge gobs of greasy fat popping out would haunt me for days.

4. maggiedemi

maggiedemi TCS Member Top Cat

Mar 26, 2017
    Waitressing

Mia6 purraised this.

5. engine4154

engine4154 TCS Member Alpha Cat

Jan 29, 2016
    SW Ohio
    It was. On the other hand, I've had other jobs I've thought were terrible, but looking back weren't that bad. It's all about perspective.

That one will pass the test of time, I'm sure of it. I have a friend who still works for another railroad who says they quit using that company as they were getting dangerous.

Mia6 and maggiedemi purraised this.

6. Kieka

Kieka Snowshoe Servant Staff Member Forum Helper

Sep 6, 2016
    Southern California
    I haven't really had a *bad* job. Although there have been bad aspects.

I worked at a gym for a while and we had laundry service. Real basic of dump everything into washer, add a ton of bleach and soap, dump into dryer and fold towels. We washed clothes too but warned people we used bleach and everything had to be in a washable laundry bag because we didn't fold those. That wasn't too bad other than folding hundreds of towels a day, stinky and sometimes a little disgusting. Good news is I can fold any towel neatly in seconds. We also had to sort recycling and that could be downright stinky.

The hardest job was for the mouse. It wasn't too bad in the beginning but the last three years got progressively worse. Partially because there was no support from management or real chance to advance if you weren't a favorite. Partially because people can be downright mean. I saw males get punched and kicked because they said something someone didn't like. I just got threatened and told I was a horrible person. I routinely had pockets full of knives and pepper spray too from confiscated items. I tried to dump them as frequently as possible and check that the pepper spray was closed but something I got poked or got spray on my hands. Not fun. Interesting time but the pay was definitely not worth the stress and it was a go nowhere fast type of situation.

7. MoochNNoodles

MoochNNoodles TCS Member Veteran

Apr 30, 2005
    Where my cats are
    I worked at a Dairy Queen for a total of 6 weeks in high school (and I was out one of those weeks with strep) and the mens bathroom was always pretty clean and smelled fine. The women's bathroom always stunk. Always. The floor always had paper litter and what not; but thankfully nothing THAT bad. I might have quit sooner.

I'm still a little grossed out at the smell of ice cream and grease combined.

I've liked parts of most of my jobs. But I was laid off from my first job after college and it was about 5/6 months before I found something. And I was mislead about the job description. I was hired for an office job; after I had been an instructor. So it was already almost like taking a step backwards; but I'm not THAT prideful. So I got there along with another lady who looked as shocked as I was. We were both dressed nice. Everyone else looked like they had rolled out of bed for work. The actual clerical work was a disaster (they probably did need my skills :lol:) and they had other office workers doing warehouse work. My back is a lot stronger now; but I had injured it a few years before this and I wouldn't have accepted a job where I was going to be asked to do physical labor like that. I came home that night and fell on the floor sobbing as soon as I'd closed the door. Fortunately I was able to explain to Unemployment why I wasn't able to keep that job so I was able to collect my last month's worth of unemployment. I was hired by a doctor's office a few weeks later. I had never worked in a medical office either; but that was still a MUCH better fit for me.

NY cat man, Mia6 and maggiedemi purraised this.

8. Mia6

Jan 22, 2017
    Ohio, USA
    I worked in the video department at a grocery store for 3 weeks. I started a small fire while making popcorn, then while making cotton candy I got covered in it. My hair, arms and clothing were covered in pink, sticky sugar. I decided I was not a good match for the job and my boss agreed. I didn't even need the job but I was going through a divorce and felt the best thing was too keep busy. Right thought wrong job.

NY cat man and maggiedemi purraised this.

9. denice

denice Advisor Staff Member Advisor

Feb 7, 2006
    Columbus OH
    Basic Training for the Army.

10. Talien

Talien TCS Member Super Cat

Oct 10, 2018
    Michigan
    But it's not a job, it's an adventure!

11. denice

denice Advisor Staff Member Advisor

Feb 7, 2006
    Columbus OH
    Yes an adventure and see the world. The see the world was an advantage when I was in, for the Army that usually meant Germany. All western European countries accepted the militay ID like a passport so people could easily go all over western Europe. Now it means Afghanistan and Iraq.

maggiedemi purraised this.

12. NY cat man

NY cat man TCS Member Top Cat

Aug 6, 2018
    Yes, it is- if you're not being shot at.

maggiedemi and Mia6 purraised this.

13. Mia6

Jan 22, 2017
    Ohio, USA
    Did that happen to you? Hope not.

14. NY cat man

Aug 6, 2018
    I was in from '67 to '71, and that's all I will say about that.

15. Mia6

Jan 22, 2017
    Ohio, USA
    I am so sorry for bringing up bad memories.

16. NY cat man

Aug 6, 2018
    Sometimes, bad memories are better than no memories, because you have to be alive to have any memories.

maggiedemi and Mia6 purraised this.