What Is The Weirdest Thing Your Cat Ever Did?

jellycatfish

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all!
This is just for fun, I apologize if this thread is not in the correct forum sub-section.
I think the title says it all; What is the weirdest thing your cat or cats ever did? And by this I mean it might be a recurrent behavior, or something that happened only once.

My own (or maybe I should say I am owned by him) little weirdo is Meeko. He is sort of very passionate (not to say obsessed) with food. I mean he will try to eat anything. A few weeks ago I had to stop him from eating a big metal staple he found under my bedroom's heater. He also bit my finger to blood more than once when he was younger because he was too excited about a treat I was giving him. He still snaps the air with his jaws when a treat is out of reach.
So, here it is: Long story short, after Happy had his neutering surgery, he ended up cutting his own scrotum with his E-collar. Since he sits to pee in the litter box, we were afraid he would infect his wound because the clumping litter would stick to him and he was unable to groom himself. The vet told us he should use the Yesterday's News paper litter, and we had to separate him from Meeko during the night so he could rest. I kept Happy with me in the bedroom with the paper litter and Meeko had a normal litter box in the living room (I always have 2 litter boxes). Happy wasn't impressed with the litter at all and was actually scared of it. The next morning, when I carefully opened the bedroom door, baby Meeko (4 months old at the time) barged in like crazy.... and proceeded to eat the paper litter like his life depended on it. I think he was under the impression Happy had this huge bowl of new "kibble" and he wanted to try it! :lol2: Thank god Happy hadn't used the litter box that night!
I called the vet clinic to ask if it would be ok to change back the paper litter to the clumping one if we were careful to check on Happy's wound often because "Well Happy is scared of the litter but Meeko wants to eat the whole litter box"; she asked me to repeat, and then confirmed if I said Meeko was eating it. When I said yes the technician started laughing for 2 minutes straight, told me she never heard that before in 10 years and would ask the vet about his approval for Happy's wound immediately. When she got back on the line, she said while laughing the doctor couldn't believe it either but of course eating large quantities of paper would be bad. Since that day, Meeko is known as the "one eating paper litter" for all the employees and apparently made everyone cry from laughing too hard (including myself)! :crackup:
I'm sorry if this was a very long post, but I'm still laughing while writing these lines!

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Arnold has a very strange habit.

I have on several occassions found him wearing a plastic strap around his waist.

It is the type of straping that bundles paper yard waste bags.

After seeing this several times I began watching him more closely.

He actually picks up one side of the strap and flils it over his head and on to his body! It can take him several attempts. He uses only
20170221_122927.jpg
20170221_122922.jpg
his mouth.

Here are two pictures of him walking down the driveway, wearing his "cummerbund". He had put it on in the house and then door darted outside.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
My semi feral girl Willow who suffers from anxiety and PTSD has some odd behaviors, which includes hissing at nothing or something only she can see. The other day she was in the midst of a kneading session with the couch pillow, head down, contentedly kneading for a few minutes when she raised her head and without breaking her kneading rhythm led out a loud guttural hiss and then lowered her head and continued kneading.

MistyDawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a house of quirky characters, especially with rescues.

My female is obsessed with one of my two adult males. She follows him around like a fangirl and he's the boy band lead singer. He's part Maine Coon so he communicates almost entirely through chirps. If I imitate his chirp from another room, she will run in to find him! Sadly, he isn't as into her. They cuddle and groom, but she always initiates. He is just nice to all cats. He loves kittens and nurtures them. He took care of her when she was little and she became very attached.

Abigail, our other female, still very young, does what we call "computer chair gymnastics". First, she warms up by spinning around chasing her tail in the seat of my computer chair. Then, she gets on top of the arm, leans forward til she's upside down, and flips back up, having done a perfect circuit around the chair.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Our last cat, Jamie, objected to crystal litter, although the type we tried in one of his boxes consisted of small, smooth beads that were easy on the feet. One day when we were at work, he not only scratched virtually all the litter beads out of the box, but along the (short) hallway where his box was located and down the staircase. He then used the empty box. It must have taken him hours. Needless to say, we got his message and never tried crystal litter again.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
20170525_053106.jpg

Link carries these little caterpillar toys all over the house. Especially when he is nervous, anxious or just bored he will walk up to us meowing with one in his mouth then drop it on a foot and walk away. At night, when the cat door is locked, he will pile them up at doors and windows. I call them his guard caterpillars. I probably buy about a dozen caterpillars a year but there are only 8 or 9 in the house right now. As a kitten he used to carry this one toy everywhere, including outside, and it would sometimes be covered in mud or disappear for a few days. I was a horrible human and washed it one time so it lost all its appeal and these took its place. I am pretty sure he started taking these outside and they are scattered around outside guarding his territory for him.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Purr-fect Purr-fect that looks like to be a proof of cats understanding concept of jewelry/decorating self.

Those of mine that are still alive don't have very weird things going on, Tiger does lean to walls / legs / anything when he wants something, sometimes he even falls over to his side, but it is pretty normal for a cat I guess.

msFriday

Smokey at 7 months and Indy at 5 years
Young Cat
Purraise
We have had Indy for 8 months now, and he is 4 years old. We adopted him from a cat rescue farm where he had lived his whole life with 106 other cats, and (I guess) had limited interaction with humans and their strange habits. He is not much of a lap cat, and hates being held (although we are working on that with some success). Practically the only time he will come up on my lap is when I'm on the toilet -- but only first thing in the morning! [For my protections from his claws, I always make sure my pants are up as high as they will go while I'm sitting down.] He purrs like mad, makes me rub his head, and eventually rolls over on his side and purrs himself to sleep! Since our cuddle times are rare during a day, I will sit there and cuddle him MUCH longer than I "need" to -- sometimes until my legs fall asleep! Crazy cat -- and crazy cat lady!

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This tale is more of a one-off occurrence rather than a habit. The first week I had my feral kitten, I was socializing her in the master bathroom for the first week. I spent a lot of time with her and she warmed up relatively quickly. One day I was ready to exit the bathroom and she lied down on top of my feet between the door and me. I momentarily forgot she was a timid feral, not used to humans. Instead of slowly squatting down, I bent over from the waist/hips to pet her.

She spooked, crouched down and looked up at me with such pure fear I have never seen in a cat’s face. Human’s being able to “bend” into a 90-degree angle was very weird to her. I believe she feared that the top-half of my body might snap off and come crashing down on top of her. :crackup:

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tangent, my senior cat, likes to get in front of me when I’m trying to walk from room to room. He gets in my pathway, then stops walking, so I have to stop, attempt to walk around him or nudge him gently with my foot. He seems to believe that he is “leading me” somewhere, but then realizes that he has no clue where he is going.

sarah430

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My Link insists on coming into the bathroom with me. Other cats are deterred when you start to shut the door on them and back off. But not Link - he keeps coming right on in and the alternative would be pinching him in the door. However once he's in he kind of just sits there with this "Why am I here? look on his face. :)

Popo is his name

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
View attachment 191173

Link carries these little caterpillar toys all over the house. Especially when he is nervous, anxious or just bored he will walk up to us meowing with one in his mouth then drop it on a foot and walk away. At night, when the cat door is locked, he will pile them up at doors and windows. I call them his guard caterpillars. I probably buy about a dozen caterpillars a year but there are only 8 or 9 in the house right now. As a kitten he used to carry this one toy everywhere, including outside, and it would sometimes be covered in mud or disappear for a few days. I was a horrible human and washed it one time so it lost all its appeal and these took its place. I am pretty sure he started taking these outside and they are scattered around outside guarding his territory for him.

Lol. That is so funny. Popo does the same thing, but piles his little mice up at his food bowl. He will be fetching his mice, playing with them intently for like an hour, then relate them to food. He always drops them at the foot of his bowl and has a little snack. Oh, and I learned about washing toys also, it def removes any appeal from the toy. My friend also brought over a puppy husky one time. Popo wasn't having it. He ran under the bed. But this little puppy husky grabbed one of his mice, and played with it for a few minutes. To this day, that mouse is still in the corner where the puppy dropped it. Popo refuses to touch it. Lol

narelle

Lover of Cats and Catfish
Young Cat
Purraise
My Astrid is a bit of an odd cat. She doesn't do as many of her odd behaviors any more, but early on after I took her home, I would always walk out from her safe room with a crazy story of the evidence of weird antics I found.
My favorite is the way she used to sort her toys. For a long time, every time I walked in, I would find her toys carefully arranged and sorted by something or another. She would neatly line them all up in a perfect little row, and you could easily tell what theme she was sorting by that day (i.e. all the ones vaguely fish shaped in a row, or all the smallest ones, etc.). She still sort of communicates using her toys by leaving some of her favorites by something she's dissatisfied with and wants me to address (usually if she used the litter box a little more than normal and wanted it cleaned).

One of our family cats, Suzie, has also always been a bit odd, though a little less so now that I compare her to Astrid. If you eat a poptart and fail to dispose of the wrapper, and Suzie gets a hold of it, she rolls and rubs on it like she's found a catnip goldmine!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Lol. That is so funny. Popo does the same thing, but piles his little mice up at his food bowl. He will be fetching his mice, playing with them intently for like an hour, then relate them to food. He always drops them at the foot of his bowl and has a little snack. Oh, and I learned about washing toys also, it def removes any appeal from the toy. My friend also brought over a puppy husky one time. Popo wasn't having it. He ran under the bed. But this little puppy husky grabbed one of his mice, and played with it for a few minutes. To this day, that mouse is still in the corner where the puppy dropped it. Popo refuses to touch it. Lol
We find the caterpillars in his food or water dish too. I have found them in my laundry, under my pillow, on the couch, in the bathtub, under my nieces bed, on the keyboard, pretty much everywhere except the kitchen sink or places too high for him to reach.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I can't believe I didn't mention Rocket and the Yoshis!

My Mom really likes Yoshi and got these little yarn Yoshi Amiibos for the game. She leaves them on the ledge in front of the TV (right by the system). For the last two years Rocket has knocked them off the ledge at least once a month and sometimes multiple times a day. Our house is filled with little knick knacks and art work. Rocket doesn't mess with statues, glass, wood, clay, or even other cloth items. Just these two little Yoshis. We tried moving them to a different spot but as long as Rocket can reach them she purposefully seeks them out and knocks them down. She doesn't play with them off the shelf, she doesn't carry them, that toy below isn't always there so it is dropping onto something specific, she knocks one off, watches it drop, knocks the other, then jumps down and goes about her day. She also doesn't hang out on the shelf or do go up for any other reason.

20170808_112457.png
20170808_112210.png
20170808_112145.png

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
We find the caterpillars in his food or water dish too. I have found them in my laundry, under my pillow, on the couch, in the bathtub, under my nieces bed, on the keyboard, pretty much everywhere except the kitchen sink or places too high for him to reach.
There are two cats that are boarded at the shelter 2 or 3 times a year, and every night one of them (or both?) gathers all their toys and puts them in their food bowls. Their owners say they do it at home, too. Other cats do that occasionally, or drown a toy or two in a water bowl, but not every single night! It looks like they're being careful to keep their toys well-fed.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Back story: The weirdest behavior I have scene is by Dante (grey.) We have bird feeders in the yard and if someone moves a bird feeder down low he will catch a finch. He brings them inside and releases them to catch them again. EVERY time he has done it I have removed the bird to release them or let them die in peace in a tree. It bothered him so much he started releasing them in the stairway instead of my room, then the living room instead of my room. My roommate stupidly moved a bird feeder low after ?8? months with no finches in the house.

Here is the weird part. Dante comes trotting in with something in his mouth and meowing loudly. Weirder still since Dante rarely meows unless he hurrying me along for his nightly wet food. I scruffed him and pried his jaws open to release the finch. I'm happy to say that bird looked to be in good health and flying when I released it. Still if he hadn't meow'ed his head off I would have just ignored him. :doh: He could have got away with it. Maybe he was trying to teach me how to hunt? Or was really proud that he finally got a bird because he is such an inept hunter? *shrugs*

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my cat's funnier behaviors is her love of playing "parachute" (that's what my husband and I call it).

We discovered her love of this one time when I was trying to teach DH how to fold a fitted sheet. He had thrown the fitted sheet up into the air in frustration, and lo! Milly came out of nowhere to make use of it!

So, if you take a fitted sheet and billow it up into the air, then let go of the sheet so that as the sheet wafts down to settle on the ground, there is a big poof of an air pocket trapped into the fitted sheet. The sheet settles into a huge bubble on the floor or bed, slowly deflating (the speed of it deflating depends of course on how good of a "parachute bubble" you were able to make of the fitted sheet).

Milly loves taking a running leap from the other room so that she can jump and land with a big "Whomp!" right in the center of the "parachute bubble". Then, if the sheet hasn't gone totally haywire from her landing in the middle of it, she'll scoot around the circle of the inflated sheet pushing all the air pockets out of it, attacking it. It's hilarious! Sometimes we throw a ball or feather on top of the parachute bubble, and she'll run in at full gallop and, "whomp!", leaps onto the bubble... the toy flies up into the air and Milly scoots and darts around the puffed up sheet in wild abandon.

We keep an old fitted sheet just for her. It also has a tear in it now, but this is fine. She also likes to go under the parachute bubble as it wafts down, so that she's hidden inside of it while it slowly deflates. Then she can escape out of the tear that is in the sheet, and not get trapped.

I highly recommend playing "parachute" with your kitten or cat. :bigeyes:

Last edited: