What Is The Weirdest Thing Your Cat Ever Did?

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my cat's funnier behaviors is her love of playing "parachute" (that's what my husband and I call it).

We discovered her love of this one time when I was trying to teach DH how to fold a fitted sheet. He had thrown the fitted sheet up into the air in frustration, and lo! Milly came out of nowhere to make use of it!

So, if you take a fitted sheet and billow it up into the air, then let go of the sheet so that as the sheet wafts down to settle on the ground, there is a big poof of an air pocket trapped into the fitted sheet. The sheet settles into a huge bubble on the floor or bed, slowly deflating (the speed of it deflating depends of course on how good of a "parachute bubble" you were able to make of the fitted sheet).

Milly loves taking a running leap from the other room so that she can jump and land with a big "Whomp!" right in the center of the "parachute bubble". Then, if the sheet hasn't gone totally haywire from her landing in the middle of it, she'll scoot around the circle of the inflated sheet pushing all the air pockets out of it, attacking it. It's hilarious! Sometimes we throw a ball or feather on top of the parachute bubble, and she'll run in at full gallop and, "whomp!", leaps onto the bubble... the toy flies up into the air and Milly scoots and darts around the puffed up sheet in wild abandon.

We keep an old fitted sheet just for her. It also has a tear in it now, but this is fine. She also likes to go under the parachute bubble as it wafts down, so that she's hidden inside of it while it slowly deflates. Then she can escape out of the tear that is in the sheet, and not get trapped.

I highly recommend playing "parachute" with your kitten or cat. :bigeyes:
:crackup::lol2: :lol:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jellycatfish

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
View attachment 191173

Link carries these little caterpillar toys all over the house. Especially when he is nervous, anxious or just bored he will walk up to us meowing with one in his mouth then drop it on a foot and walk away. At night, when the cat door is locked, he will pile them up at doors and windows. I call them his guard caterpillars. I probably buy about a dozen caterpillars a year but there are only 8 or 9 in the house right now. As a kitten he used to carry this one toy everywhere, including outside, and it would sometimes be covered in mud or disappear for a few days. I was a horrible human and washed it one time so it lost all its appeal and these took its place. I am pretty sure he started taking these outside and they are scattered around outside guarding his territory for him.
I've been wanting to ask you, where do you get those caterpillar toys? I think they look cute.. a little bit like a very hairy hotdog. I might be mistaken though! :lol:
Not that my cats need *more* toys (since I've moved, there is still 1 shoebox full of toys I haven't opened yet!), but... you know, I'm curious! ;)

jellycatfish

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's my little one, Soul. She for some reason prefers the toilet to the fountain I got for her and my other kitty, Rei. Soul has fell in twice and is mad she can't stick her head in there anymore because I make sure to keep it closed now lol
When I got Happy, I was told that kittens might fall in the toilet and if someone wasn't there to help them they could drown. So the new house rule was to always keep the lid down! It's a habit now. When I go to someone's house it's hard to not close the lid! However, it happened a couple of times that I forgot while I was preparing myself to go to work and the 2 cats were used to jump on the toilet, then the counter.... so guess what happened? They ended up with one or two paws and the tip of their tails soaking wet and every time I got "the Look" of "YOU TRAITOR! you betrayed me!"
Now they check if the lid is down before they jump hehehe! :p

jellycatfish

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Lol. That is so funny. Popo does the same thing, but piles his little mice up at his food bowl. He will be fetching his mice, playing with them intently for like an hour, then relate them to food. He always drops them at the foot of his bowl and has a little snack. Oh, and I learned about washing toys also, it def removes any appeal from the toy. My friend also brought over a puppy husky one time. Popo wasn't having it. He ran under the bed. But this little puppy husky grabbed one of his mice, and played with it for a few minutes. To this day, that mouse is still in the corner where the puppy dropped it. Popo refuses to touch it. Lol
Happy drops his mice/any favorite toy in his water bowl... resulting in a sort of very very damp mess if not fished out right away. If the toy was left in the water for a long time (he often does it during nighttime) he usually leaves that toy alone for a couple days before he plays with it again.
I was wondering why so much water was spilled around the bowl after he did that until I saw him in action... he actually tries to drown the toy! Keeping it as long as he can under water and then tapping it with his paw multiple times until the toy stops moving! I'm guessing that is Happy's "weirdest" behavior. He also loves having his nails trimmed and purrs when I brush his teeth.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I took care of a stray mama and her 4 kittens outside. My flower pots had big clumps of dirt on them. The kittens were experienced in covering their poop and pee

Last edited:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Image a tiny kitten running off with a big slice of pizza growling. Now,5 yrs old, it is clear when she knows she's done something wrong. She is crouched low walking fast with her tail strait back. I say "Peaches, watcha
20170418_070141-COLLAGE.jpg
do?" Otherwise her tail is up high

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've been wanting to ask you, where do you get those caterpillar toys? I think they look cute.. a little bit like a very hairy hotdog. I might be mistaken though! :lol:
Not that my cats need *more* toys (since I've moved, there is still 1 shoebox full of toys I haven't opened yet!), but... you know, I'm curious! ;)
Amazon.
But it looks like they have changed them since the last time I ordered in April. Hopefully Link will like the new owns.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Happy drops his mice/any favorite toy in his water bowl... resulting in a sort of very very damp mess if not fished out right away. If the toy was left in the water for a long time (he often does it during nighttime) he usually leaves that toy alone for a couple days before he plays with it again.
I was wondering why so much water was spilled around the bowl after he did that until I saw him in action... he actually tries to drown the toy! Keeping it as long as he can under water and then tapping it with his paw multiple times until the toy stops moving! I'm guessing that is Happy's "weirdest" behavior. He also loves having his nails trimmed and purrs when I brush his teeth.
You have a REALLY bizarre cat. NO cat ever likes having teeth brushed. Or nails trimmed. Some of my cats have loved drowning their sparkle balls in the water bowl, though.

nahui

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He also loves having his nails trimmed and purrs when I brush his teeth.
How on earth do you get a cat to enjoy having their teeth brushed?! Could Happy maybe tell my cat that having his teeth brushed is not that bad? All I've managed in three years is to get him to lick the toothpaste :oops:.

jellycatfish

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You have a REALLY bizarre cat. NO cat ever likes having teeth brushed. Or nails trimmed. Some of my cats have loved drowning their sparkle balls in the water bowl, though.
How on earth do you get a cat to enjoy having their teeth brushed?! Could Happy maybe tell my cat that having his teeth brushed is not that bad? All I've managed in three years is to get him to lick the toothpaste :oops:.
I think he only likes to have our unwavering attention! Since when I brush his teeth I take him with me in the bathroom. He gets cuddled before and after, nothing unusual but he enjoys being on the counter while I pet him. He stands taller and looks so proud to be there... weird huh? He doesn't LOVE to have his teeth brushed, but he purrs and is... happy! For the nail trim, we use the "burrito" technique. He always ends up semi-asleep and he scrunches up (probably not the right way to say it but he doesn't knead, yet it looks like it a bit) his front and rear paws while purring. When I used to apply ointment in his eyes, he was super relaxed and purred, not even running off after I'm done, just sitting down on the bed next to me. Maybe he was thinking about the treats he gets after? I am aware cats can purr when they are scared or hurting, etc. But he is such a laid back kitty!
I can't brush Meeko's teeth or apply eye ointment and he swats his tail really hard when we trim his nails; they are very different from each other!

Rei's Mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When I got Happy, I was told that kittens might fall in the toilet and if someone wasn't there to help them they could drown. So the new house rule was to always keep the lid down! It's a habit now. When I go to someone's house it's hard to not close the lid! However, it happened a couple of times that I forgot while I was preparing myself to go to work and the 2 cats were used to jump on the toilet, then the counter.... so guess what happened? They ended up with one or two paws and the tip of their tails soaking wet and every time I got "the Look" of "YOU TRAITOR! you betrayed me!"
Now they check if the lid is down before they jump hehehe! :p
She did manage to fall in once. She sauntered in the room and jumped on my lap as if nothing happened lol. But she's been trying to figure out how to open the lid for the toilet and continue drinking water from there instead of the fountain. She's a talker too so if I look like I'm headed to the bathroom she circles my feet and then runs in the bathroom meowing the whole time. Rei just sits in her bag staring at her like she's crazy :lol:

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Where do I begin? Sugar likes applesauce, pears and peaches. Sheba likes to bite plastic, not chewing but biting it and listening to it pop. Spice also moans and groans while sleeping, mostly on her back. And Julie is just a velcro cat. Has to be next to me or on top of me, follows me into the other rooms and runs if front of me, stops and takes a swipe at my foot when I step over her.

devviepuu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my weirdos, 2 out of 3 of them, each do something i have never seen a cat do before. my gigantically oversized 14-mo old, the fluff, likes to tear out the fabric under furniture - the sort of light canvas under, say, an ottoman - or more recently, my box spring! i discovered this morning that he had created a nest for himself in my box spring in the master bedroom. he was quite disgruntled when i shooed him out of it and shut the door behind him.

artemis is my 3-year-old rescue that i have had for 2 years. he gets a lot of separation anxiety so i try to keep him near to me as often as possible. in the past two months or so, he has a new habit: collecting my shoes. if i leave the house, or even the room, i come home to find a pile of shoes on my carpet. sometimes they are piled neatly and sometimes they leave a trail of breadcrumbs. i have moved the shoes from an open shelf to a closed closet and this has not deterred him. this morning at about 2am he woke me up by crying to himself as he dragged a thigh-high leather boot across my bedroom floor, as though it was my fault he had been driven to such an extreme. i have seen him pry open my closet door, pull out an ugg boot, and pull it down the stairs with him, where he presented it for my inspection.

he, like the fluff, has lost bedroom privileges! :dunno:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
my weirdos, 2 out of 3 of them, each do something i have never seen a cat do before. my gigantically oversized 14-mo old, the fluff, likes to tear out the fabric under furniture - the sort of light canvas under, say, an ottoman - or more recently, my box spring! i discovered this morning that he had created a nest for himself in my box spring in the master bedroom. he was quite disgruntled when i shooed him out of it and shut the door behind him.

artemis is my 3-year-old rescue that i have had for 2 years. he gets a lot of separation anxiety so i try to keep him near to me as often as possible. in the past two months or so, he has a new habit: collecting my shoes. if i leave the house, or even the room, i come home to find a pile of shoes on my carpet. sometimes they are piled neatly and sometimes they leave a trail of breadcrumbs. i have moved the shoes from an open shelf to a closed closet and this has not deterred him. this morning at about 2am he woke me up by crying to himself as he dragged a thigh-high leather boot across my bedroom floor, as though it was my fault he had been driven to such an extreme. i have seen him pry open my closet door, pull out an ugg boot, and pull it down the stairs with him, where he presented it for my inspection.

he, like the fluff, has lost bedroom privileges! :dunno:
The fluff has a twin. Elvis arrived here one year ago and he went right into his own room. In it was my father's beautiful antique bed. Elvis spent a lot of time under there in the beginning of his time with us. Once, when I looked under the bed to find him, I saw that he had clawed some of the fabric on the box spring down from the frame. :sigh: Since then, he has done a lot more work to his "purrformance art installation" and I have thrown out batting from the mattress that has ended up on the floor under there. :disappointed: