What Is The Weirdest Thing Your Cat Ever Did?

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ash has an obsession with dryer sheets. Whenever he finds one, he will flop down, rub on it, grab it with his paws, and rub it against his face. He'll chew on them a little too, but he has yet to actually try eating one. And yet catnip has little to no affect on him.

Frost has a very strange way of "hunting." There is no stealth, no stalking, no sign on an oncoming attack. Instead, he scrambles across the floor in a less than graceful manner. It often resembles a rapid army crawl because I swear sometimes his stomach doesn't even leave the floor. And he only plays for a few seconds. Then he lays on his back in the middle of the floor so I can't move the toy without sending it right to him. I have to physically move him just for him to repeat the process until he finally gets tired of me moving him.

Ember has formed weird habits revolving around food. I don't know what made her do it, but I was eating when I saw her tilt her head so far to the side it was almost upside down. I say it's like an owls head except it goes the wrong way. Ever since she has shared my meals with me by doing this. It is absolutely adorable. Her habits have since evolved too. She'll reach her paw out and very gently lay it on your hand as if she's trying to guide it to her mouth. She also sits on the arm of the couch by my mom and will tilt her head and then rub the top of her head on my mom's arm. Once she even rested her head on my mom's shoulder as if she was hoping my mom would mistake it for her own.

Ember also knows I'm making food when I'm standing at the kitchen counter. She'll either go in front of me, put her paws on the cabinet, and lean back against my legs, or she'll come up from behind and stick her claws in the back of my pants though she's very good about not hurting me.

Another little thing she does is if you sit on the computer chair (and only on the computer chair) she'll reach up and tap you on the shoulder or headbutt your arm until you pet her.

nahui

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I cannot watch t.v. in my own home thanks to Gato. Whenever someone turns on the t.v., he'll jump right in front of it so that all you see is a black silhouette of a cat against a bright background. He is perfectly happy grooming or sleeping right in front of it for the longest time, but only when someone is watching, so now we actually turn on the t.v. before we plan to watch it to give him time to do his thing and get it out of his system, all while sitting down to watch him.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Casper likes to chew on sticky packing tape.
We have a roll dispenser on a table where we send out eBay packages and stuff. Casper will jump up onto the table and nibble on the loose end. I don't know if it is because he likes the taste of the glue or whether it's because he likes the crinkly sound it makes when he chews and paws it.

Every time we come home from an outing, Casper comes to greet us at the door but we only get to give him a quick pat on the head or something. After that, he heads directly to a certain spot in the kitchen. He'll sit there and look at us while he waits for us to come to his "attention spot" where we can continue greeting him.

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
Arnold has a very strange habit.

I have on several occassions found him wearing a plastic strap around his waist.

It is the type of straping that bundles paper yard waste bags.

After seeing this several times I began watching him more closely.

He actually picks up one side of the strap and flils it over his head and on to his body! It can take him several attempts. He uses onlyView attachment 191094 View attachment 191095 his mouth.

Here are two pictures of him walking down the driveway, wearing his "cummerbund". He had put it on in the house and then door darted outside.
Arnold is obviously a very classy gentleman and doesn't like to leave the house naked, so he makes sure he's wearing a belt. No weirder than Porky Pig, Pooh Bear, Yogi Bear etc who always wear clothes but never wear pants. Although Yogi is the strangest - hat, collar & tie but no pants.

Luciano is my first cat, so I really don't know which of his behaviors are weird and which are normal for cats. He does have an occasional habit of dragging things that should be too heavy/bulky for him to move for long distances. The first time I noticed it was with a cat bed. I put it on the floor in the main room of my apartment & sometimes he would move it to the chair next to where I put it. That was no big deal. The unusual thing was when I saw him take the bed in his mouth & walk with it the fifteen feet to my bedroom without managing to trip himself up by stepping on it. I'm still not quite sure how he managed that. Then he jumped onto my bed with his bed still in his mouth. However, his bed failed to make it all the way up onto my bed, so he leaned over, grabbed it with his teeth again & sort of flipped it up by moving his neck. The oddest thing out of all of this is that he never actually slept in that bed, he just liked carting it around with him or sleeping next to it.

The mat by my front door was old when Luciano came to stay, and he made fairly quick work out of making it look a lot worse for wear. I decided when I got another one, it would be inexpensive so if he shredded it, no big loss. I found a very thin mat for $2 at Ikea, perfect. He waits on it when I've been gone all day, but one day I came home & it wasn't there. When I walked the 20 or so feet into my bedroom, there was the mat, upside down, on my bed along with one of his doorknob fabric scratching things.

In a similar vein, he has moved the fleece matting of his sherpa cat carrier from up in the loft down the ladder (I assume he just let it fall, I wasn't there to witness) and dragged it many feet over near the window and managed to get it into the milk crate I use to keep paper to be recycled. It was a tight fit, but he managed to get the fleece with stiff backing into the crate flat, fleece side up. No idea if he celebrated by lying on it. I only noticed it when I went to recycle something.

So is all of this normal cat behavior or weird cat behavior?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Arnold is obviously a very classy gentleman and doesn't like to leave the house naked, so he makes sure he's wearing a belt. No weirder than Porky Pig, Pooh Bear, Yogi Bear etc who always wear clothes but never wear pants. Although Yogi is the strangest - hat, collar & tie but no pants.

Luciano is my first cat, so I really don't know which of his behaviors are weird and which are normal for cats. He does have an occasional habit of dragging things that should be too heavy/bulky for him to move for long distances. The first time I noticed it was with a cat bed. I put it on the floor in the main room of my apartment & sometimes he would move it to the chair next to where I put it. That was no big deal. The unusual thing was when I saw him take the bed in his mouth & walk with it the fifteen feet to my bedroom without managing to trip himself up by stepping on it. I'm still not quite sure how he managed that. Then he jumped onto my bed with his bed still in his mouth. However, his bed failed to make it all the way up onto my bed, so he leaned over, grabbed it with his teeth again & sort of flipped it up by moving his neck. The oddest thing out of all of this is that he never actually slept in that bed, he just liked carting it around with him or sleeping next to it.

The mat by my front door was old when Luciano came to stay, and he made fairly quick work out of making it look a lot worse for wear. I decided when I got another one, it would be inexpensive so if he shredded it, no big loss. I found a very thin mat for $2 at Ikea, perfect. He waits on it when I've been gone all day, but one day I came home & it wasn't there. When I walked the 20 or so feet into my bedroom, there was the mat, upside down, on my bed along with one of his doorknob fabric scratching things.

In a similar vein, he has moved the fleece matting of his sherpa cat carrier from up in the loft down the ladder (I assume he just let it fall, I wasn't there to witness) and dragged it many feet over near the window and managed to get it into the milk crate I use to keep paper to be recycled. It was a tight fit, but he managed to get the fleece with stiff backing into the crate flat, fleece side up. No idea if he celebrated by lying on it. I only noticed it when I went to recycle something.

So is all of this normal cat behavior or weird cat behavior?
It's normal - for some cats. I used to have a cat who believed a heavy blanket, normally kept in the closet, belonged in the living room. It would take her hours and quite a few rest breaks to pull this blanket inch by heavy inch into the living room at which point she was done with it and ignored it. Put it away though and forget to shut the closet and she would start all over again.

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Every night she will sit in the hallway and watch us until we turn tv off and lay down then she will jump on end of the bed give herself a clean and sleep. She's obsessed with foil too ! When I'm cooking or wrapping food she will come running in ! I have to roll into a ball and she will play fetch or knock it under the sofa and try and hook it out with her paws! She has so many others ones too !!

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
That sounds normal to me. Luciano has about 6 of those foil balls; I kept not being able to find them even though I checked under the couch and chairs in the living room with a flashlight. The mystery revealed itself recently when I had to move furniture due to my windows being replaced. When I lifted the chair in my bedroom, there were 4 or 5 of the foil balls! I never saw him play with them in the bedroom; never thought to look in there.

Belle Bosse

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Chantelle loves apples! She will seek them out and rip into the plastic bag till she gets an apple of her own. She then proceeds to hug it with her front paws, lick it, smudge it and kick it with her back feet. Any apple juice that gets on her fur is licked off and the kicking continues. If you try and take the apple off her, she wants it back! When she is finished hugging and scuffing her apple, she will fall asleep cuddling the apple.
She also likes pears, peaches, plums, nectarines... all that expensive pip and stone fruit.

One time camping I had fruit and veges and the cat's meat in the Esky (chilly bin) packed with ice. Chantelle was indicating she wanted something to eat by rubbing her face and body along the side of the Esky. When I opened it, she went straight for the lovely peaches, ignoring the cucumbers and her meat. I have a photo of her reaching into the Esky and cradling the peach.

Another thing she does that none of my previous cats ever did is... she uses her paws to eat with. Very delicately she will dip into her food bowl with her paw and hook up a bit of fresh meat and eat it off her paw. She will eat right handed, then clean her paw and begin eating left handed with equal dexterity.

anankee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My baby Marley has a very strange habit of lying on random items. If I'm sitting down on the couch and want to change the channel, I know the remote will be underneath Marley . Sometimes he sleeps on many things at once . On multiple occasions I have found him sleeping on my mobile, the remote, my keys, the home phone and my PS4 controller all at once. It really is quite strange. If something is sitting on the couch, well that's the exact spot he chooses to sit. He looks so comfy too, I'm not sure how. He is still only 9 months old and it took me a while to learn if something is lost ,he is the first place I look. He's almost like a cat version of a Bowerbird LOL

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chantelle loves apples! She will seek them out and rip into the plastic bag till she gets an apple of her own. She then proceeds to hug it with her front paws, lick it, smudge it and kick it with her back feet. Any apple juice that gets on her fur is licked off and the kicking continues. If you try and take the apple off her, she wants it back! When she is finished hugging and scuffing her apple, she will fall asleep cuddling the apple.
She also likes pears, peaches, plums, nectarines... all that expensive pip and stone fruit.

One time camping I had fruit and veges and the cat's meat in the Esky (chilly bin) packed with ice. Chantelle was indicating she wanted something to eat by rubbing her face and body along the side of the Esky. When I opened it, she went straight for the lovely peaches, ignoring the cucumbers and her meat. I have a photo of her reaching into the Esky and cradling the peach.

Another thing she does that none of my previous cats ever did is... she uses her paws to eat with. Very delicately she will dip into her food bowl with her paw and hook up a bit of fresh meat and eat it off her paw. She will eat right handed, then clean her paw and begin eating left handed with equal dexterity.
That is so adorable !!!!

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My baby Marley has a very strange habit of lying on random items. If I'm sitting down on the couch and want to change the channel, I know the remote will be underneath Marley . Sometimes he sleeps on many things at once . On multiple occasions I have found him sleeping on my mobile, the remote, my keys, the home phone and my PS4 controller all at once. It really is quite strange. If something is sitting on the couch, well that's the exact spot he chooses to sit. He looks so comfy too, I'm not sure how. He is still only 9 months old and it took me a while to learn if something is lost ,he is the first place I look. He's almost like a cat version of a Bowerbird LOL
You shouldn't put your things in this furniture !!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi all!
This is just for fun, I apologize if this thread is not in the correct forum sub-section.
I think the title says it all; What is the weirdest thing your cat or cats ever did? And by this I mean it might be a recurrent behavior, or something that happened only once.

My own (or maybe I should say I am owned by him) little weirdo is Meeko. He is sort of very passionate (not to say obsessed) with food. I mean he will try to eat anything. A few weeks ago I had to stop him from eating a big metal staple he found under my bedroom's heater. He also bit my finger to blood more than once when he was younger because he was too excited about a treat I was giving him. He still snaps the air with his jaws when a treat is out of reach.
So, here it is: Long story short, after Happy had his neutering surgery, he ended up cutting his own scrotum with his E-collar. Since he sits to pee in the litter box, we were afraid he would infect his wound because the clumping litter would stick to him and he was unable to groom himself. The vet told us he should use the Yesterday's News paper litter, and we had to separate him from Meeko during the night so he could rest. I kept Happy with me in the bedroom with the paper litter and Meeko had a normal litter box in the living room (I always have 2 litter boxes). Happy wasn't impressed with the litter at all and was actually scared of it. The next morning, when I carefully opened the bedroom door, baby Meeko (4 months old at the time) barged in like crazy.... and proceeded to eat the paper litter like his life depended on it. I think he was under the impression Happy had this huge bowl of new "kibble" and he wanted to try it! :lol2: Thank god Happy hadn't used the litter box that night!
I called the vet clinic to ask if it would be ok to change back the paper litter to the clumping one if we were careful to check on Happy's wound often because "Well Happy is scared of the litter but Meeko wants to eat the whole litter box"; she asked me to repeat, and then confirmed if I said Meeko was eating it. When I said yes the technician started laughing for 2 minutes straight, told me she never heard that before in 10 years and would ask the vet about his approval for Happy's wound immediately. When she got back on the line, she said while laughing the doctor couldn't believe it either but of course eating large quantities of paper would be bad. Since that day, Meeko is known as the "one eating paper litter" for all the employees and apparently made everyone cry from laughing too hard (including myself)! :crackup:
I'm sorry if this was a very long post, but I'm still laughing while writing these lines!
*Your cat is WEIRD.* :kneading:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tangent, my senior cat, likes to get in front of me when I’m trying to walk from room to room. He gets in my pathway, then stops walking, so I have to stop, attempt to walk around him or nudge him gently with my foot. He seems to believe that he is “leading me” somewhere, but then realizes that he has no clue where he is going.
My big blue/cream male, Elvis, likes to flop down and roll right in my pathway. He gives me his "come-hither" look and smiles when he does it, too.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
View attachment 191173

Link carries these little caterpillar toys all over the house. Especially when he is nervous, anxious or just bored he will walk up to us meowing with one in his mouth then drop it on a foot and walk away. At night, when the cat door is locked, he will pile them up at doors and windows. I call them his guard caterpillars. I probably buy about a dozen caterpillars a year but there are only 8 or 9 in the house right now. As a kitten he used to carry this one toy everywhere, including outside, and it would sometimes be covered in mud or disappear for a few days. I was a horrible human and washed it one time so it lost all its appeal and these took its place. I am pretty sure he started taking these outside and they are scattered around outside guarding his territory for him.
My torti, Tarifa, "hunts" sparkle balls, meowing when she has one in her mouth and bringing it to or near me, where she drops it. This reminds me a lot of your Link's caterpillar hunting. They are mighty predators showing us how to be successful on the hunt!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With so many cats in my life from the start, there have been many weirdnesses, I'm sure. Two that come to mind are Tarifa hunting sparkle balls; she'll meow a unique meow when she has one between her jaws, marching to where I am before dropping it, as if she's showing a poor excuse for a provider how it's done by an expert. And then there was Samuda, whom I caught tabby-pawed in the act of stealing an old blue sweater on a chair that belonged to fluffy tabby queen Marley. I shot a series of photos showing him jumping up on the chair, getting the sweater in his mouth, and spiriting it away into another room. :cutecat::kneading:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I was talking to my son about this thread and he reminded me of one of our cats, Daisy, who had a thing with my underwear and would go tearing through the house with one of my bras in her mouth. No so funny when she would drop a raggedy one in front of my dinner guests

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was talking to my son about this thread and he reminded me of one of our cats, Daisy, who had a thing with my underwear and would go tearing through the house with one of my bras in her mouth. No so funny when she would drop a raggedy one in front of my dinner guests
:lolup: *there are worse things they could present, though*

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi all!
This is just for fun, I apologize if this thread is not in the correct forum sub-section.
I think the title says it all; What is the weirdest thing your cat or cats ever did? And by this I mean it might be a recurrent behavior, or something that happened only once.

My own (or maybe I should say I am owned by him) little weirdo is Meeko. He is sort of very passionate (not to say obsessed) with food. I mean he will try to eat anything. A few weeks ago I had to stop him from eating a big metal staple he found under my bedroom's heater. He also bit my finger to blood more than once when he was younger because he was too excited about a treat I was giving him. He still snaps the air with his jaws when a treat is out of reach.
So, here it is: Long story short, after Happy had his neutering surgery, he ended up cutting his own scrotum with his E-collar. Since he sits to pee in the litter box, we were afraid he would infect his wound because the clumping litter would stick to him and he was unable to groom himself. The vet told us he should use the Yesterday's News paper litter, and we had to separate him from Meeko during the night so he could rest. I kept Happy with me in the bedroom with the paper litter and Meeko had a normal litter box in the living room (I always have 2 litter boxes). Happy wasn't impressed with the litter at all and was actually scared of it. The next morning, when I carefully opened the bedroom door, baby Meeko (4 months old at the time) barged in like crazy.... and proceeded to eat the paper litter like his life depended on it. I think he was under the impression Happy had this huge bowl of new "kibble" and he wanted to try it! :lol2: Thank god Happy hadn't used the litter box that night!
I called the vet clinic to ask if it would be ok to change back the paper litter to the clumping one if we were careful to check on Happy's wound often because "Well Happy is scared of the litter but Meeko wants to eat the whole litter box"; she asked me to repeat, and then confirmed if I said Meeko was eating it. When I said yes the technician started laughing for 2 minutes straight, told me she never heard that before in 10 years and would ask the vet about his approval for Happy's wound immediately. When she got back on the line, she said while laughing the doctor couldn't believe it either but of course eating large quantities of paper would be bad. Since that day, Meeko is known as the "one eating paper litter" for all the employees and apparently made everyone cry from laughing too hard (including myself)! :crackup:
I'm sorry if this was a very long post, but I'm still laughing while writing these lines!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi all!

I'm sorry if this was a very long post, but I'm still laughing while writing these

Until my cat was 2 yrs she would start at the kitchen, run to the porch window, splat her paws against it, shake her head back and forth, chase her tail, run up the 72inch tower and back down, go room to room and give a loud meow, then do it all over again every night.
Until my cat turned 2 yrs, she would start in the kitchen, run to the porch window, splat her paws against it, shake her head back and forth, chase her tail, run up the 72inch tower, go room to room and give a loud meow, then do it all over again